How many days do you abstain before BD?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hi ladies!

Well, I have been lurking on this board for a few months now. But we haven't TTC'ed yet because I was scared and couldn't figure out how to juggle my career and motherhood.

In the last month, the baby bug just hit me like a ton of bricks. I have no idea what happened, but suddenly I just am overcome with excitement at the thought of having a baby.

So, I will be going out to get my TCOYF book tomorrow since everyone raves about it. But I am pretty sure I will be ovulating about the 14th. Is it worthwhile to abstain for like a week before? Should we BD on the 12th? Maybe I should just go read the book...

Thanks!

2. The best thing really is to BD every other day or every day :smile: Abstaining really isn't good for you SO. If your O is the 14th the best thing is to BD the 11th, 12th , 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th to increase your chances.

And WELCOME :P

3. I found this site particularly helpful and conceived http://www.babycenter.com/ovulation-calculator

Ideally you BD everyday of the suggested fertile period. However in reality most guys can get tired of having to perform everyday for months on end or don't just have the time for it. If you have irregular cycles, calculate based on the longest and shortest and take all days into consideration (let's just call this X). If you can't BD everyday you can BD once in the beginning, and middle, and perhaps 1 day before the end of X. Then again you're taking chances, if your partner has more guy-determining-sperms you're not in luck because they don't last very long. DH was particularly busy in June we BD once only (at the 1st day of my fertile week suggested by that site) and I conceived.

Also elevating your hips for 30-45 minutes immediately after BD helps to drastically increase your chances of conceiving. If you find this tiring you can lean your legs up against the wall and read a book or something during that time. Baby dust to you.

4. Thanks ladies! I have been following a lot of the stories around this section and I am so happy to see when there is a positive test. The support and knowledge base is amazing.

I will go check out the website...

5. I definitely wouldnt abstain...It took us a few months to get it right...The first 2 we only BD'd when we both felt like it. Maybe 2xs during O time..The month I concieved we Bd'd almost the whole O week...and I laid still for about 15-20 mins afterwards to give the swimmers some time. Sorry if TMI.... Good luck!