How many Coach mommies are SAHMs?

TejasMama...you are always so lovely :smile: Wow, twins are too cute!! I actually have to be honest, my oldest two are 13 and 10 and really are good fun kids and help alot with playing with their brothers. My son gets ALOT of therapy and goes to a special school and you would not believe how many great people you meet (other moms and teachers, therapist etc.) that add so much to your life.

Stay at home wife here to two kids, boy and girl! Both school age, one is Autistic.

People ask me why I don't "get a job" I a Navy wife who has a deployed hubby so I am really the only parent they have now. And that fact at my son has high functioning autism might have something to do with it. Anyone else get flack for choosing to stay home?
I usually get the "Aren't you bored staying home all day?" Obviously the people who say that have never spent an entire day with young children. Oh yeah some women tell me that "they could never stay home" which I don't really understand but it doesn't really matter.

Stay at home wife here to two kids, boy and girl! Both school age, one is Autistic.

People ask me why I don't "get a job" I a Navy wife who has a deployed hubby so I am really the only parent they have now. And that fact at my son has high functioning autism might have something to do with it. Anyone else get flack for choosing to stay home?
Yes; I have also received a lot of flack. It really seems like a no-win situation at times, no matter what decision is made. I can relate to all sides, as I’ve experienced the same types of criticism.

With my 1st child (the bride with the tangerine wedding dress!), I was made to feel lazy when I expressed the desire to stay at home with her longer. She was my 1st baby, & the thought of leaving her with a stranger killed me! Though nearly 30 yrs have passed, I will NEVER forget the day I had to leave her at a daycare for the first time. She was 13 months old.

When I had both daughters, I was advised that I was essentially too old & encumbered by children to return to school (by a counselor!!!). I will never regret having gone back to expand my education.

And while I was working, going to school, and became the mother of a third child (my son), a relative asked “Don’t you feel guilty when you don’t spend enough time with your kids?” With a comment like that, it was hard not to feel a twinge of guilt.

In the end, I felt that it was the quality of the time spent with my family that really counted. My kids were always treasured for the special people they were, respected, and never exposed to abuse. We were all happy. And that, I believe, is what counts.

To all of you women who choose to stay home with your children, I say continue to follow your heart. You and only you know what’s best for you. It’s no one else’s business!

i am a stay at home mom to a two and a half year old boy. it is so fun! i worked from when he turned 6 weeks to when he turned 6 months (army crap) then i got out and haven't worked since. i love watching him most of all. he is fun to observe and listen to. Unfortunately, i will be looking for a job this summer to get back into society. i go to school 2 -3 nights a week and DH watches him for those 3 hours.

cadillactaste, handbag-ho, WhrdRestofMeGo, TejasMama... everyone...

I don't know what to say.... I just read all your supportive posts and I started to cry. Thank you so much.... I needed to hear your feedback, I've been keeping this inside for a while.

Yes, there are some pretty heartbreaking times when ds2 is unwell and no one from immediate family is available to lend a hand. I think people have capacity to feel badly but there is something - denial, fear, blame, guilt, excuses - that keep them from reaching out. It's all part of the human nature, isn't it.

I am not a Coach forum regular but that might change soon! I am so glad I came by last night, you are all a wonderful group of women! I wish I could give you all HUGS!!

^^It must be so hard with no help, I really feel for you Rainrowan, everyone needs support but when you add special needs into it, you really need a mental break, you know? I'm in the same boat so if you ever need someone to talk to please PM me. Take care.

^^ awww thanks Kimmi. Same for you too and the other moms. I am going to cry again... :shame:

I don't want to usurp this thread... but wanted to add to your comment about the mental breaks, all moms need (SAHM, working)... thank goodness something so simple (not really simple but more validating) as Coach handbags and being on tPF is a great mental break for me.

^^ awww thanks Kimmi. Same for you too and the other moms. I am going to cry again... :shame:

I don't want to usurp this thread... but wanted to add to your comment about the mental breaks, all moms need (SAHM, working)... thank goodness something so simple (not really simple but more validating) as Coach handbags and being on tPF is a great mental break for me.

Yep tPF is definitely a good mental break from all the childcare 'stress' that we mommies get sometimes. But I'm not complaining much because we get to see our lovely kiddies grow up day-by-day, learning and exploring new things that can fascinate you sometimes.

I'm a SAHM to my baby boy who is turning 5 mths old. Me, hubby and son came from Singapore to be in California as hubby's job requires him to be here. While being a first time mom, I'd have lots to learn, I am also alone here with a young baby when hubby's at work. I do get flaks from others who are doubting our abilities to cope without any help from our parents. But I would say, we are doing fine so far. However, staying at home do get boring sometimes...so I can't imagine my life without my pc, internet and yes of course, tPF and Coach lovelies! :P

I believe it is very important and beneficial to stay home with children until they are in school. It it easy to stay at home, but not easy to do it well. There are moms who sit around and watch tv, don't clean the house, don't take the kids to the park, don't cook, etc, that are probably the ones who give SAHMs a bad name. When I "stayed at home" I took my kids to gymnastics, the park, playdates, read to them, cooked from scratch, sewed, played games with them, took them to the grocery store and taught them about budgeting/let them write the amount in the checkbook... Yes, it can be a job, but it is like any other job - there are jobs done well and with effort, then there are slackers.

i am a SAHM of two boys, one is 7 years old and the other is 7 months old. i had my baby the same week i graduated from school, got my bachelors in criminal justice so im now looking for a job, will no longer be a SAHM, im excited though!!!!!:wlae:

You go ladies!

Stay at home moms are my heroes. My mom was a stay at home mom and I had the greatest childhood.

I hope to one day be in the financial position that when I have kids I can stay at home for a bit, or at least maybe be a freelance writer or some other odd occupation that is flexible and can be done from home.

I really see the importance of being with your own kids, especially kids new born to 5.

You all deserve a big hug and a big Coach bag for doing what you do : )