How many clutches is too many?

mandaart3

O.G.
Jan 27, 2012
Ok I need some help, I have an over abundance of bags (mostly Coach) and more than half of them are clutches in various shapes and sizes, I probably have 20+ clutches/Large Wristlets, I feel like I need to cull some out as I don't use some of them very frequently. I am however afraid that I will part with some and then regret is as they are older/harder to find or for whatever reason. So I guess my questions is how do people decide when its time to part with an item and how many clutches is too many??

Well I can relate in general to handbags, I have too many at the moment, and I need to cull the herd too. I only have one clutch though, lol!

I am going to base my elimination group based on how often I reach for them, do they go with at least more than one outfit? Is there something about them that makes them cumbersome/uncomfortable/inconvenient that I don't use them more? etc.

HTH!

I think everyone has a different answer for "how many is too many."
I would say "more is more" myself.

I think clutches are a little different than bags though, because some will be special occasion only, and so are not bought for everyday use. Also the wristlets and most of the clutches can be used in our bags to hold our small stuff and help organize our bags.

But if I had a bag that I didn't like and didn't use at all, then I would pass it on.

I rarely carry clutches. I love the look of them and always think they will work for me, but once I get them home and realize I can't fit anything inside, they end up sitting on the shelf.

I guess it depends on how much use they get. Do you use them inside large bags as well as carry them on their own?

Once I've made the decision to get rid of a bag, I rarely miss it. It doesn't matter to me how popular it is or how hard it was to get.

I have a rainbow of Legacy clutches hanging in my closet.....how often do I use one? Once in a blue moon.....but they sure are pretty to look at!

Like whateve, once I've made my mind up to sell something, I sell it and so far I haven't regretted any of the items......Well, I kinda wish I would have kept a large legacy wristlet in cobalt, but that's it.

Ok I need some help, I have an over abundance of bags (mostly Coach) and more than half of them are clutches in various shapes and sizes, I probably have 20+ clutches/Large Wristlets, I feel like I need to cull some out as I don't use some of them very frequently. I am however afraid that I will part with some and then regret is as they are older/harder to find or for whatever reason. So I guess my questions is how do people decide when its time to part with an item and how many clutches is too many??
I'll echo some of what everyone has said before me; if I don't use it much, I sell it. This year I've sold a lot of my satchels because totes are more practical in the everyday sense, especially since I often bring my lunch to work, and need my hands free for my commute on the Metro to and from work. Also, if a bag goes with 3 or more pairs of shoes, I'm much more likely to keep it than if it only goes with one pair...

When I worked in an office I would carry a clutch or a small crossbody (minus the detachable strap) inside of a large Lands End cotton canvas tote. the tote held my newspaper, lunchbag also. I have given away or donated most of these small bags and carry mostly medium size bags. If I decide to use a small bag I have to downsize my cosmetic bag and part with some other articles. If I ever get a tablet, a small bag won't do.

I can relate to the situation your are in. Having too many things makes me feel anxious, its not a feeling i like. If i have too many shoes, coats, purses, you name it, it make me feel very anxious, i cannot explain why but the feeling is not a good one.

While letting anything go, i always say to myself, there will be something else that i will like down the road, and that has been true. Return/sell/give away what you do not use. Keep one or two clutches that you would need while going out, dressy kind, keep what you use, that you will miss the most if you let go. I culled the herd bases on this.

I had accumulate more that 70 bags at one time, majority coach bags that sat in my closet in their dust bags, with tags on them, i bought them as they were great deals found at the outlet and i had a purpose for them and i did like them, but i did not LOVE them all...i now own 5 coach bags a few accessories. The money i got by returning all those bags went back into my bank account. I did not do this for financial reasons, but for my piece of mind. That is my story, hoped it helped :smile:

There's a new clutch coming out in the next floor set that I am in love with! It's in Oxblood with a lovely, burgundy turnlock, and a chain for shoulder use if desired. I don't have the style number or name of this item but I may just spring for it next Friday.

i'm probably not the best to advise - i have about 20+ large legacy wristlets, in addition to some wristlets/clutches in othr brands. Not to mention, I just ordered 2 wristlets on FOS. So, admittedly, I have gone overboard in this department. However, I do use at least 2 wristlets a day to organize things in my bags, and switch them out frequently.

Nonetheless, a couple of months ago, I did set aside a few that I have never used (3 even have tags). I remembered a post from a fellow tpfer who recommended putting things in a box, and then coming back to them to see if they had been missed. I woud then decide to return or sell them.... These wristlets are still in the box, and your post is reminding me that I really do need to make a decision. :smile:

I have a bunch of clutches as well, most are nwt, from Goldenbleu to Coach. I recently sold a black studded flight wristlet and used for the first time a saddle studded flight wristlet. The saddle one really worked and looked great plus it held everything I needed for a night out on the town. Then, I regretted selling my black one, go figure!

I can relate to the situation your are in. Having too many things makes me feel anxious, its not a feeling i like. If i have too many shoes, coats, purses, you name it, it make me feel very anxious, i cannot explain why but the feeling is not a good one

You are not alone! I don't let myself get too many pairs of shoes, etc. because of that, but I did go overboard with coach bags....horrible feeling. I pared them down to a number that's comfortable for me. I then did the same thing with slg's and had to cull half of them.....all still with tags on them. : / Now I live with a one in, one out rule of my on making and am happy.

I will admit that my coach keychain / fob collection doesn't bother me as long as I only keep ones I really love.

I can relate to the situation your are in. Having too many things makes me feel anxious, its not a feeling i like. If i have too many shoes, coats, purses, you name it, it make me feel very anxious, i cannot explain why but the feeling is not a good one.

While letting anything go, i always say to myself, there will be something else that i will like down the road, and that has been true. Return/sell/give away what you do not use. Keep one or two clutches that you would need while going out, dressy kind, keep what you use, that you will miss the most if you let go. I culled the herd bases on this.

I had accumulate more that 70 bags at one time, majority coach bags that sat in my closet in their dust bags, with tags on them, i bought them as they were great deals found at the outlet and i had a purpose for them and i did like them, but i did not LOVE them all...i now own 5 coach bags a few accessories. The money i got by returning all those bags went back into my bank account. I did not do this for financial reasons, but for my piece of mind. That is my story, hoped it helped :smile:
This absolutely hit home with me! I am in the process of downsizing and as I'm doing it, I'm feeling less anxious about my belongings and good about letting go. Thanks so much for sharing!

This absolutely hit home with me! I am in the process of downsizing and as I'm doing it, I'm feeling less anxious about my belongings and good about letting go. Thanks so much for sharing!

No Problem! I too have been so much happier after downsizing. I own a total of 7 bags now. 5 Coach, 1 Louis Vuitton and 1 Alexander Wang and i LOVE them all and feel no need or desire to expand my collection. I am happy and thankful for what i own and enjoy using them. It's a great feeling.

You are not alone! I don't let myself get too many pairs of shoes, etc. because of that, but I did go overboard with coach bags....horrible feeling. I pared them down to a number that's comfortable for me. I then did the same thing with slg's and had to cull half of them.....all still with tags on them. : / Now I live with a one in, one out rule of my on making and am happy.

I will admit that my coach keychain / fob collection doesn't bother me as long as I only keep ones I really love.

Glad to know that! It's really easy to get carried away... But i have been good for a while now and still happy and content. I don't think i can ever build up a collection, owning to how i would feel, and i do not mind! ;) Thank You!