How many chances have you given your SA? (alternate title: How easy is it to become an SA?)

JazzyMac

Jazzy says, "buy the bag".
O.G.
Aug 22, 2013
I live somewhere where there are not many places to purchase Chanel stuffs. Of course I can text others in various states and department stores (multi-brands), but I've spent a few years on this forum and feel that I could follow the advice of establishing a good relationship with a local SA.

However, it definitely hasn't worked out as I thought. A simple task seems so difficult for these SAs. I let them know I'm interested in purchasing an item--even go as far as let them scan my credit card to reserve it--and over and over again, I'm forgotten. After assuring me that they will "let me know" when the item arrives, they will never contact me again, and then I'm left to my own devices of acquiring the item myself. Scrolling through my texts now; I've been waiting TWO MONTHS for the SA to transfer a bag from one boutique to the next. But how? This was supposed to happen within 48 hours according to her. After two weeks of waiting, I just texted an SA in a multi-brand and got my bag.

There were a few things I deliberately did just to see "if it was me" that was the fault of this non-communication:

1. After the credit card reservation, and good byes, I waited. No other texts, calls, etc. I didn't want to be looked at as an annoying customer. Mind you, I've never done this, but this time I made it a point not to.

2. Point #1 was hard. As you all know, when we have our sights set on "the perfect bag", we gotta have it. I had to reach deep down inside to hang on to my patience. Meanwhile, I wondered, "was it sold out?", "did it disappear?", "is she okay?" My emotions went from excitement to getting the perfect bag :panic:

--to annoyance. :tdown:

3. I went ahead and reserved the bag at the multi-brand. This was a difficult decision because I technically had $Ks reserved with the boutique right? Like, seriously, what's going on?

4. I looked at my relationships with other designers as well. I'm not considered a big spender (in the designer world), so there's that. Most of the time I know exactly what I want, and the transaction is almost instantaneous. Even so, I lead with kindness and credit cards. I've been to many boutiques, states, cities, countries, and have seen the most outrageous customer actions: yelling, barging past people, snapping fingers at the SAs, rudeness, just craziness. Nobody's gonna catch me on a youtube video. :cursing::confused1:

Perhaps I should become an SA. With my luck (and attitude), I wouldn't be hired. But from what I'm seeing, it's easy to be hired as a representative of these chains. Just smile a lot, over-promise, and then under-deliver. :frown:

Back to my point: How many times have you all let situations such as these happen before you move on or just delete their number?

Photos are just bags I've ogled over the years. I don't have any of them though. I wonder why.

Okay, that was cruel.

:biggrin:

Attachments

• Chanel-Medallion-Flap-Bag-5600.jpg
    Chanel-Medallion-Flap-Bag-5600.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 716
  • Chanel-Large-Aged-calfskin-255-flap-bag-1.jpg
    Chanel-Large-Aged-calfskin-255-flap-bag-1.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 728
  • Chanel-Denim-Patchwork-Flap-A65468.jpg
    Chanel-Denim-Patchwork-Flap-A65468.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 744
you don't have to be a super spender, but i have realized (with Chanel and LV) that if you can cultivate a relationship with a good SA it eases the difficulty of hunting down items and you do get notified often of new releases. it's not just on the SA to contact you. you should also feel free to bug them, ask for pics of new things, etc. i usually give an SA two chances to work with me before i move on. and yes, some have dumped me too, even when i'm on a waitlist with a card, it happens

Reactions: JazzyMac
you don't have to be a super spender, but i have realized (with Chanel and LV) that if you can cultivate a relationship with a good SA it eases the difficulty of hunting down items and you do get notified often of new releases. it's not just on the SA to contact you. you should also feel free to bug them, ask for pics of new things, etc. i usually give an SA two chances to work with me before i move on. and yes, some have dumped me too, even when i'm on a waitlist with a card, it happens

I think I'll take the path of the less loyalty, the better. I've got way too many real world things to worry about.

The best SA for your shopping profile is one that sells Chanel shoes in a dept. store such as Saks or NM. I have a lot of Chanel bags and shoes and have bought all over, from boutiques to dept stores. Hands down, the most hungry SAs are the shoe SAs. If you know the exact bag you want, they will usually jump on it as it is a big sale to them. The SAs at the boutiques or leased depts I found are very helpful and nice only if they have the stock. I have not had too many Chanel boutique SAs jump over hoops for me to locate a bag. But my shoe SA works hard for me and sends me photos of new stock, shoes and bags. I am not a big Chanel shopper where I buy the whole collection every season with RTW. I buy about 3-4 bags a year, but I do buy a lot of shoes, every season.

My hardest to find bags are from shoe SAs. If you buy bags from them, you are considered a great client vs if you buy bags from a Chanel boutique SA, you are just one of thousands and they would rather sell something that is in stock rather than work for it. That's my experience given my shopping profile. If I were a VIP that buys 12 bags a year or RTW, my guess is that would change ofcourse. One boutique SA told me she has a client that comes in and sees a new bag she likes and buys every color and the client does this every season.

Hands down if you know the bag you want, find a good shoe SA. You will get your bag! [emoji51]

Last edited:
I absolutely agree with partnering with someone from shoes. A $3000 dollar purchase for a shoe person who usually workis in the $600-800 range is going make a bigger impact than a purchase with a handbag associate that does that all the time. The only advantage with a handbag person is that they have "first picks" with stock that comes in, while a shoe person has to go and ask. If you can get a shoe person who partners with a bag person ur golden.

I live in a state without a Chanel boutique and I my advice to you is call your SA every week. Be nice but persistent. Don't worry about bothering them, this is their job. Text, call...keep in contact and you are a lot less likely to be forgotten or passed over.

Reactions: JazzyMac