How many black (or other color) HH bags is too man?

fleurdelis816

Sep 18, 2008
OOops! Title should be "How many black (or other color) HH bags is too manY??"

So, I own the black Conrad which I bought when they popped up for $112 on the HH site awhile back. I have been using the heck out of it, mainly because I'm in love with HH products right now, not necessarily because it's the best bag for my lifestyle. I need something larger on a daily basis, though it is good for festivals, shopping when I need my hands free. Anyway, during the recent SS I snagged the black zee tote (still hasn't arrived yet). I may be giving this to my mom, just have to see. But the one bag I've been wanting is the Athena and it's up for sale through tomorrow. The only reason I'm hesitant (other than it's still a lot of $$$) to grab it is because it too is black (though I would only want this style in black). So if I kept all 3, is that too many??? I'm a vibrant color girl so I usually always lean towards color. But with the recent sales I've just been snatching up black bags like crazy. These are my only black bags. Good thing all my wishlist items are in colors for the future! What do you all think?

I'm having similar issues. I've never been that into black bags, but HH has been making so many lovely bags lately that work so well in black, and I find myself wanting more black bags than I could possibly use. I have a black nico, tc mercer satchel, and wyeth hobo (and bowery) oh yeah, and a hudson satchel, and really want the black origami and athena, but I just don't think it would make any sense. In your case, fleur, I would det the zee free in favor of the athena (tote?).

Last edited:
I used to have only black bags (needless to say, this was before joining tPF). Now I only have 2, and I don't use them very often, to be honest. But I do wear a lot of black clothing, so I like to add color with my bag sometimes. I think it depends on your taste and your wardrobe.

Fleur, I used to only buy black bags and just recently did I start to buy other colors. I think a black bag is timeless and I will never get sick of that color. I am trying not to buy any more black for a while. I do have the Athena tote and it is not just an average black bag. I love it and think you will too. I personally don't think 3 black purses is too much, but thats just me:tup:

I have six black bags. One Wyeth Hobo (big and fringey), one small crossbody (practical), two black evening bags with shimmery trim, one Kenneth Cole black patent that's so fun for around town, and one Michael Kors sort of small hobo with suede trimmings which is more dressed up but not dressy. So no, I don't think three is too many! :biggrin:

I have one black bag - a black zeus trophy bag. I have always had a hard time finding black bags I love. I usually gravitate to color. But, I have to agree with Paelaf that Hayden Harnett is doing "so many lovely bags lately that work so well in black". For the first time I may have multiple black bags in my collection because I have my eye on the Biblio in black.

No, I don't think 3 black bags are too much. We never ask if 3 red bags are too much because, if you are into color, you know there are orange-reds, pink-reds, brown burgundy reds, etc. All reds are not created equal. The same goes with black. There is ivory black which is the warm golden black. There is coal black. Black Nuit. Midnight (black touched with blue). The list goes on. Add the need for shoulder bag, hand bag, clutch, shopper tote, etc.... and there is no need to feel "too much" until, say, a dozen black bags...:happydance:

I'm too tired and too scared to actually count how many black bags I have (and black shoes!) :lol: If you know you will get a lot of use out of it, it is worth it. I think having different shapes/silhouettes is as important as color and black is one of few colors that never go out of style.

I always just figure if I'm going to use it than I can have it. If it is kinda expensive, then I better be going to use it a lot. If I can use a bunch of a certain color bag, then why not. In some ways if you have more than they'll last longer and you'll lessen the wear on each.

I try to just keep in mind whether it's going to just hang in my closet unused because it doesn't truly go with anything else in my wardrobe. (I was guilty of that with the never worn, tags still on Teal Estelle Peacoat!)

Some people have only black bags..
Personally, I tend not to buy black bags (although I may consider if it's black patent), I prefer to use my bags as an opportunity to bring in a color, or to accessorize with metallics..
I only have one black bag purchase in the last couple of years. I don't own ANYTHING black from HH.

Thank you everyone for all of your opinions! I really appreciate them!! :hugs:I think my "thing" is like paelaf and RMC mentioned, that HH is doing SO MANY bags that look good in black. I have a feeling if I could've gotten the Conrad (for the price I did) in another color and the Zee in either EUC or a brighter color (if they made it), then I would've. Then I would only have the black in Athena. But since the black was the only one on sale or available at the time I noticed it in Conrad and Zee, that's what I ended up with. I love them (or will when they arrive, I'm sure!), it's just hard when you are normally a girl who wears bright colors or spices up her outfits with her bags. I think I'm having a problem with black bags, like missty4 was having a problem with "too many" bags in general. Maybe I just need to get used to it. They'll be more bags in color in the Fall and I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a Blueberry Trophy and Moonbeam Lolita which should spice things up in the meantime. :graucho:

I have four, and use all of them:

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

Mom currently has my black Big Mimi on permanent loan.