How long would you hold on to a bag that you no longer use?

lingtsui

O.G.
May 31, 2007
I have been away from tPF for a long long time....mostly because of personal things I am going through in life but also because I have been very happy with my collection of bbags.
But....
Lately I have been thinking about my Bbag collection.
I have been a fan since 2007. And within 2 years I was able to track down most of all the bags I wanted x

I was content for a long time and none of the newer colors called out to me especially when the quality of the 2011 and 2012 leather don't meet my personal standards.

Although I love love love my collection, however I do not use my bags enough. They are so gorgeous to look at but never get used. So I am thinking of selling but I cringe at the thought of letting them go.

Does anyone know what I am talking about? If so, what helped you decide whether to sell or keep?

And how can I justify owning a bag just so I can take it out a few times a year to admire?

A reminder that selling/buying/trading is not permitted here

Last edited by a moderator:
If I had a x in good condition, I wouldn't let go of it either!! Maybe sell your unused bags one at a time, starting with your least favorite. If you regret it, you'll know not to sell off your others :smile:

If I had a x in good condition, I wouldn't let go of it either!! Maybe sell your unused bags one at a time, starting with your least favorite. If you regret it, you'll know not to sell off your others :smile:
Thanks for the advice :smile:
You are right, I probably will regret selling some of them.
The fact that I have doubts mean that maybe I am not ready to let go just yet.
I might sell one and see how that goes.

I am in a similar situation like you. You say that your bags don't get used enough... So start using em' more often! You have Gorgeous Bals from gorgeous years, i.e. you're holding on to some of the best years of Bals if not better.

If you start using them, I suppose you'd tend to keep until the time comes when you grow tired of them. Chances are you're going to love them even more as you start using em' more often.

All the best :smile:

I have been away from tPF for a long long time....mostly because of personal things I am going through in life but also because I have been very happy with my collection of bbags.
But....
I have been a fan since 2007. And within 2 years I was able to track down most of all the bags I wanted x

I was content for a long time and none of the newer colors called out to me especially when the quality of the 2011 and 2012 leather don't meet my personal standards.

Although I love love love my collection, however I do not use my bags enough. They are so gorgeous to look at but never get used. So I am thinking of selling but I cringe at the thought of letting them go.

Does anyone know what I am talking about? If so, what helped you decide whether to sell or keep?

And how can I justify owning a bag just so I can take it out a few times a year to admire?

start shopping from your closet! See if they don't start appealing to you again. here's a thread that got me started using some of my neglected bags once again. I even made a schedule so they would all get used during the year.

I'm in Houston too, and I was afraid of the humidity and getting the handles yucky but now I just use them and enjoy them.

I tend to buy and sell my bags often. I find it really fun to look for a great bag, then get it, carry it a while, then sell to get another.
There are a few that I have to keep - my favs, but I am always ready to buy or sell one or two others.

So I suggest............keep some and sell some! Have fun!

Last edited:
But....

I've hoarded bags and decided to sell some just because ironically, I can't bear to use them or to clear clutter. I've painfully regretted selling some of them so like you, am holding tight to my remaining collection, especially the HTF G21s. I'm always going back to one or two pieces as everyday bags; the rest - either too pretty to be carried or kept for the occasional admiration (weird but true). I'm late into Bal and have only started collecting mine in 2011. It may not be the best year for leather but I've not been too impressed with the range fr 2012/13. This coupled with enough episode of 'seller remorse' makes me more determined to hang on to my G21s as far as circumstances permits.

start shopping from your closet! See if they don't start appealing to you again. here's a thread that got me started using some of my neglected bags once again. I even made a schedule so they would all get used during the year.

I'm in Houston too, and I was afraid of the humidity and getting the handles yucky but now I just use them and enjoy them.

That's one good advice I'll try to adopt :smile: I've tried replacing pieces I stupidly sold but was never able find satisfying replacement. More time and money wasted, sigh.

Yeah! Someone else in Houston :P

The schedule is a good idea. I need to start using my other bags more as well.
The humidity does suck. Luckily I have an AC vent in my closet so the I can maintain a proper temperature in there and I also put a DampRid (the one that hangs ) in there to absorb moisture. It helps a lot.

I've hoarded bags and decided to sell some just because ironically, I can't bear to use them or to clear clutter. I've painfully regretted selling some of them so like you, am holding tight to my remaining collection, especially the HTF G21s. I'm always going back to one or two pieces as everyday bags; the rest - either too pretty to be carried or kept for the occasional admiration (weird but true). I'm late into Bal and have only started collecting mine in 2011. It may not be the best year for leather but I've not been too impressed with the range fr 2012/13. This coupled with enough episode of 'seller remorse' makes me more determined to hang on to my G21s as far as circumstances permits.

I feel the same way. Some of the oldies were in excellent condition when I got them and they are too pretty to use. I was always afraid of getting them dirty or putting anything heavy in it. I would get super paranoid about who was sitting next to me at a restaurant or what would happen if it suddenly rained (which happens a lot here).
Now looking back, I was letting my bags own me!

But there are a few I am definitely going to hold on to :biggrin:

I tend to buy and sell my bags often. I find it really fun to look for a great bag, then get it, carry it a while, then sell to get another.
There are a few that I have to keep - my favs, but I am always ready to buy or sell one or two others.

So I suggest............keep some and sell some! Have fun!

Just like you, I enjoy a bag until I no longer enjoy it anymore and then proceed to sell. Guess I am thrilled by the waiting, looking, chasing and wait out for the best bargain. Nothing has stay long enough excerpt for a bal clip m clutch in orange brûlée which is super gorgeous in color

I have one that I rarely use, but would never let go - I guess it's due to sentimental value that my fiance bought me (anthra city). Any other bags that I bought myself, or pre-owned it's way easier for me to justify to let go.

If it's any other bag, I would let go of it if it's not used - it helps fund new purchases. I think it's a waste to have a bunch of bags just sit there to collect dust, unless it's something valuable :smile: