How long should the life of an LV bag be?

Ladybleu

You deserve to treat yo' self!
Oct 4, 2020
Hi, this is in regards to not only a bags resilience, but also it's average time for aging. This is especially a concern with vintage bags. I have read the average lifespan of an LV is 20 years, however, what if your vintage bag is already 20 years old? This is taken into consideration with the fact that the bag has been cleaned, conditioned, and sprayed with 3 coats of Apple Guard rain and stain repellent.

The majority of my LVs are 20+ years old, the youngest is 17. They are not even CLOSE to the end of their lives. With some cleaning and care, they look almost new. LVs are designed to last, but even things that are well made require some care/maintenance. I am sure you could beat a Birkin to hell in 2-3 years if you treated it like crap and never did anything to take care of it. Meanwhile, I have seen 40 year old vintage Coach that still look great and can be used everyday.

The question is not how long to LVs last, but how long do YOU want YOURS to last?

I have seen vintage LVs on eBay in absolutely woeful condition, and I always wonder what the previous owners have done to get them in that state. I take care of all my things, but I don’t baby them, and honestly all of my bags are in great condition. I have two Beaubourg totes that are ten years old, and they genuinely still look brand new. Of course the Monogram one has a tiny amount of vachetta, just a small trim, and the Damier Ebene one has the treated leather, the same tiny amount, but even the fabric straps are in perfect condition and I remember at the time of purchase thinking that perhaps they wouldn’t hold up so well. I have a pochette accessoires that I bought pre-loved several years ago, which is still in great shape too, and it is now twenty years old. I really believe that many if not all of my LVs will last for the rest of my life (and I’m 34!)

Also, spotting or discoloration of vachetta is different than structural damage. A bag may not LOOK perfect but be pretty darn close to perfect structurally. I see and rescue bags all the time that are in amazing physical condition—I restored several pieces from the 80’s— but who have darkened leather and minor wear on the mono pattern in corners and edges. Though they will never be confused for brand new, they can be cleaned to a beautiful state and will continue to be able to be used every day. I have been astounded by the quality and durability of LV pieces, especially SMGs, which take an amazing amount of abuse and wear!

This wallet is from 1984...all I did was clean and condition it really well.

B4576BDD-87B4-4713-A082-5455DD14988E.jpeg

E481ACCA-9065-4472-B807-107A1E49C38E.jpeg

099CE411-A142-4221-97E0-ADE4356DFC15.jpeg

30EA2F9D-F30A-4551-B494-4F7448371375.jpeg

Reactions: Honeymoon and LV2
The majority of my LVs are 20+ years old, the youngest is 17. They are not even CLOSE to the end of their lives. With some cleaning and care, they look almost new. LVs are designed to last, but even things that are well made require some care/maintenance. I am sure you could beat a Birkin to hell in 2-3 years if you treated it like crap and never did anything to take care of it. Meanwhile, I have seen 40 year old vintage Coach that still look great and can be used everyday.

The question is not how long to LVs last, but how long do YOU want YOURS to last?
This is very true! :tup:

Reactions: Ladybleu
I recently bought a 22 year old speedy 30 from Fashionphile and it was in wonderful condition! I ended up returning it, but not because of the quality, just realized I would always rather carry my Watercolor Aquarelle Speedy 35. It all depends on the owner, not the bag itself.

Reactions: BowieFan1971