How long should I wait to hear from seller before reporting?

Bsmadd01

O.G.
Feb 10, 2011
I recently purchased a pair of CL flats on eBay through a BIN. They were shipping from london which I wasn't worried about but it has been 10 days since I paid for my item and I have sent at least 5 messages with no response. Should I go ahead and report to eBay?

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum

Yes, log into Paypal and go to the resolution centre. You can open an INR case without actually escalating it yet. They will send your seller your message. If the seller still doesn't respond, escalate it and the seller has another ten days to respond.
I've just had to do this, escalated days ago and still no word from the seller :/

If you've asked for tracking and the seller hasn't responded, I would open an item not received claim through ebay. That will give them a chance to provide tracking, if there is any.

Since this international shipping, I'm not even sure that you can open an INR claim yet; I think you have to wait two weeks. Also, depending on how they were being shipped, 10 days (which would include weekends?) is quite fast for international mail.

- How were the shoes shipped?
- What kind of feedback does the seller have?
- Has the "shipped" box been checked on eBay on your Purchases page?

Yes, the seller certainly should respond to you, but I really wouldn't worry that these haven't arrived yet. Unless it's sent Express (or whatever the UK version of that would be), international mail typically takes 2 weeks - 2 months.

IrisCole said:
Since this international shipping, I'm not even sure that you can open an INR claim yet; I think you have to wait two weeks. Also, depending on how they were being shipped, 10 days (which would include weekends?) is quite fast for international mail.

- How were the shoes shipped?
- What kind of feedback does the seller have?
- Has the "shipped" box been checked on eBay on your Purchases page?

Yes, the seller certainly should respond to you, but I really wouldn't worry that these haven't arrived yet. Unless it's sent Express (or whatever the UK version of that would be), international mail typically takes 2 weeks - 2 months.

The seller had good feedback but my item still shows as not shipped yet and I have no idea how they planned to send it.

Hessefan said:
Yes, log into Paypal and go to the resolution centre. You can open an INR case without actually escalating it yet. They will send your seller your message. If the seller still doesn't respond, escalate it and the seller has another ten days to respond.
I've just had to do this, escalated days ago and still no word from the seller :/

Okay thank you I will try that today. Should I also do the item not received on eBay or juat PayPal for right now

caannie said:
If you've asked for tracking and the seller hasn't responded, I would open an item not received claim through ebay. That will give them a chance to provide tracking, if there is any.

Thank you for your help. I just recently started using eBay again and this one item was quite expensive for me. It makes me worry

I also think 10 days is too soon for International - tho yes, the seller should respond to you - BUT - do be sure to contact them via eBay My Messages rather than using a direct email address from PayPal account etc., that way you know it's not getting spam-blocked, and also eBay will then have a record in case you have to file a claim.

For what it's worth - I recently shipped a Priority Envelope to a friend in Canada - and it took over a month to get to her, a handbag sent to the UK took over 6 weeks! In both cases they were sitting in Customs for the bulk of that time - and in both cases - for no apparent reason, just random, and just is the way it is.

I believe the OP's main concern is lack of communication, not the shipping.

I say do open an inr claim - once the seller can get back to you, you can always close it.

Aaorin said:

I say do open an inr claim - once the seller can get back to you, you can always close it.

Yes exactly. If she would just let me know she shipped it or even say she hasn't yet I would be happy. I assumed it would take a while to get here but she should tell me something. I'll open the inr maybe she will respond to that.

The difficulty with this is that for sellers, having a claim opened against you dings your account. As mentioned, it's in poor taste for the seller not to respond, but my guess is that when the OP looks at her purchase page, the date range for which she can reasonably expect her item to arrive hasn't expired yet (or even begun, depending on how it was shipped).

The difficulty with this is that for sellers, having a claim opened against you dings your account. As mentioned, it's in poor taste for the seller not to respond, but my guess is that when the OP looks at her purchase page, the date range for which she can reasonably expect her item to arrive hasn't expired yet (or even begun, depending on how it was shipped).

It's seller's responsibility to be in contact with buyers. If it's some kind of emergency, it's understandable, but when that happens you notify people. OP said they sent 5 messages to the seller over 10 days - claim at this point is more than justified.

It's seller's responsibility to be in contact with buyers. If it's some kind of emergency, it's understandable, but when that happens you notify people. OP said they sent 5 messages to the seller over 10 days - claim at this point is more than justified.

I'm absolutely not arguing that the seller should have replied - she should have, for sure. However, it really isn't a seller's responsibility to be a good communicator (though it's a good business practice). It IS the seller's responsibility to get the item to the buyer in a timely manner and as described.

However, standard international shipping takes a long time, and it's only been 9 business days since the auction's end. If the seller took more than a day to ship, it hasn't even been in the postal system a week. So filing a claim at this point is pretty premature.