How long does package usually sit at US customs?

I sent out a package EMS to the US last Tue (23 Sept).Tracking shows that it arrived in the US on 24 Sept and ever since then the status is

Your item is being processed by United States Customs. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

Is it normal that the status is still like this?It's important that I get accurate tracking info as it's a return...:crybaby:arggghhh I'm so worried now!

Just an FYI, I have had several packages sent TO me in the US from the UK, via different parcel services, and SOMETIMES the tracking never updated AFTER it said "received in NYC by US Customs". It said that 4-ever and then just appeared at my door. Very irritating.....
The LAST one I received from the UK did not even get a signature when delivered... just flung it on the porch.

Reactions: Bratty1919
I had 2 packages coming from overseas.
One arrived at LA customs on 13th of June and stuck there!!!!!!!!!!!
Another one arrived in LA customs on 14 and cleared same day!

Both were coming from the same country!

I have been checking few times a day and worrying.
What are they doing with my stuff?
It is just clothes!

Hi ,i have now the same problem ,a package arrived from hong kong is held in custom new york usps ,anyone tell me what i can do?thanks in advance

If there is a customs fee associated with the package then that may be the reason it is still being processed. Also USPS is very slow when dealing with certain items, so you just have to be patient.