Home & Garden How Long Do you Spend House Cleaning?

I have found that as I have gotten older I just don't want to waste too much time doing things that no one sees but me. I used to be such a good housekeeper but I find that most people don't see the things that I see in my own home. I would much rather be walking my dogs or reading a good book or doing yoga and tai chi...things that really enrich my life! So, I make my bed, clean the kitchen every day and the rest gets done when I get to it. It is just me and DH so not a whole lot to clean.

pinterest has so many good cleaning hacks, it's really helped me find the desire to clean without necessarily spending a ton of time doing it.

i don't know how much time i actually spend cleaning, but i can do a bathroom in maybe 30 minutes (scrubbing tub, toilet, sink, and countertop). vacuuming the house takes maybe an hour because we don't have to move a lot around. kitchen gets cleaned after every meal- gets a deeper cleaning every few weeks where i clean the exhaust and all that. i don't even bother windexing windows and doors- the dog's nose print will always be prevalent.

also since we have not switched from carpet to hardwood, the dust is definitely annoying but has gotten considerably better since we've fallen into a cleaning routine. carpets are basically big air filters lol. FYI, i've heard that cleaning out your vents really makes a difference with dust building up.

I always find myself picking up cat hair daily and I just have two cats. As far as cleaning goes we got a house cleaner when we moved into our new place and at first I was really uncomfortable since I have always done my own cleaning but im starting to warm up to the idea.

I live alone in a 2 bed 2 bathroom house. The main bathroom has a bath and the en suite a shower cubicle and I hate using it so it stays clean. I spend an hour cleaning the bathrooms and vacuuming the floors every Sunday. I then allocate half hour extra to a specific job, i.e. skirtings, windows, washing doors, cleaning blinds, all those things that don't need to be done every week. I work long hours at times and watch my tv programs pre-recorded so usually do dusting then as I can still see/hear tv from lounge/diner.

I have a shih tzu and he is so clean, he avoids puddles, mud, even favours paths over grass so that's great. My small garden is half patio for me and half fake grass for him so no dirt comes in.

I wash every dish after use and put away and never leave the kitchen untidy. I have a black leather bed and always dust this with a wet wipe together with the bedside cabinets every other day.

I am a bit scared of spiders so I am super tidy and never leave anything stockpiled on the floor.

My house is minimalist with few ornaments so very easy to maintain.

I live in a 2,000 square foot home, which I clean mostly on my own and I'm finding that it takes me too long to do everything that I need to do. I try to clean each area of the house at least once a week, and it usually takes me about 4 hours to clean the downstairs, 3 hours to clean 3 bathrooms, and about 3 hours to clean three bedrooms (one is a library with a lot of books and multimedia that have to be dusted regularly). In total, this amounts to be about 10 hours of cleaning each week. It's becoming quite overwhelming and I'm starting to wonder how some people manage to clean their entire house in 2 or 3 hours. Any advice?
I spend a least 2 hours a week, to clean our one- bedroom flat, and I have a cleaner who visits once a week, plus I do daily maintenance, such as making beds, putting clothes away, ironing, laundry, sweeping kitchen, watering plants, and general fussing. I use non Toxic, lavender infused cleaning materials and have to learn to enjoy it rather to see it as a chore. I love the feeling of a fresh clean environment and in addition to that we employ a communal window cleaner and a Gardener. Houses need maintenance no two ways about it!

Per week, about 1.5 hours. We live in a 2 bedroom 1 bath apartment, so I can fit in vacuuming, floors, dusting furniture, kitchen stove and counters, and bathroom in this amount of time.

I "deeper clean" maybe every 4-5 weeks. This involves dusting decorative pieces and windows in addition to furniture, maybe washing throws and cushion covers, and spending more time scrubbing the floors. This can take about 2-2.5 hours. I'm busy but I love a clean, nice smelling home, so I do it. If I go longer than 2 weeks without cleaning for whatever reason, I start getting cranky.

Reading this I feel really envious of some of you! (And I'm starting to think I need to downsize, haha!) I live in a 6 bedroom, 5 bathroom house with 2 dogs, 1 cat, one husband and one toddler (but we are thinking of having more kids, hence the big house) and I clean for at least an hour, often more, A DAY! (plus, a cleaner comes in once a week for 4 hours or so. She does windows, toilets and stuff like the fridge or anything else that is really dirty for some reason)

We are also pretty minimalist and try to put things back into place after we use them (well, the pets and the toddlers don't... but the grown ups). I will admit that I might be a bit of a clean freak though but if things are really messy or dirty, it really bothers me so I am not sure I can do something about it.

I'm bumping this thread.
I realize I don't clean enough. My husband and I, along with our two cats, live in a rented apartment with one bedroom and one bathroom. I'd really like to pay for a cleaning service. Cleaning tends to stress me out because I feel like I'm not doing a good enough job. I have no desire to scrub the baseboards or try to clean the windows.
My plan is to schedule a deep clean day in my calendar every 5-6 weeks and then to tackle one little task or two every day.

I live in a 1bed apartment with my cat. In an ideal world, I spend about 30 minutes every night doing a vacuum and general tidy-up. And obviously time on top of that spent making the bed, doing dishes, laundry, etc. I try to do a full clean of the bathroom every weekend. I do try to keep my house visitor ready in case someone decides to drop in, but it doesn't always happen. I have to vacuum daily because I have a very fluffy cat and she sheds so much.

I'll be the first to admit that I am not the greatest homemaker. My mother is, and I am envious of her level of skill and motivation. I think it is a dying art and is becoming less valued over time, which is kind of a shame but probably a good thing at the same time.

My apartment is older, and I think older places are SO much harder to keep looking clean. As if due to age, there is much more of a base level of dirt that seems to be there all the time regardless of how much cleaning is done.

I am working on painting the entire apartment at the moment, which should help things look a lot cleaner in general.

Reactions: twin-fun
I try to spend as little time as possible cleaning. I loathe it. But with 3 dogs, two teenage boys, and an endless rotation of foster animals there is a constant supply of mess.