How long do you keep clothing?

chambersb

Jan 14, 2014
I'm a clothes hoarder.... I'm perfectly able to discard clothing that is ill fitting, deteriorating, or unflattering. (I donate or consign if it can still be worn). But the other stuff that I gain or lose weight and can no longer wear I just put in a storage tub and shove to the side. My storage room is out of control.

I have lost a lot of weight in the last two years. I am wearing a size 2 now but I still have clothing up to size 10.

How long do you keep clothing on "Stand by"?

How do you get rid of it? Donate, consign, sell, trade?

Congrats on the weight loss - thats amazing.

I dont really have much advice. I wonder the same thing.... over the last year and a half, I have dropped 2 dress sizes (now a UK10) and have lots of storage tubs with clothes that I dont really know what to do with them.

It also makes me really regret spending a lot of money on clothes in the past as I have some lovely things which are now too big for me. I have sold/ consigned what is no longer my style (and I used the money to buy a lovely burberry trench)

I look forward to others responses to this question

I keep it until I am sure I will never wear it again. I have enough room, and I don't often buy clothing that is expensive enough to consign.

Most tops will fit through several sizes. I'll pull out older items every once in a while. They come in handy.

I don't shop constantly. Every several years, I'll revamp my wardrobe with versatile pieces, so I don't accumulate a lot of stuff overall.

I basically keep clothing until it's time for me to pack up and move (which has been every 1-2 years as i just finished graduate school and I've always been moving between rental apartments and dorm units). Every time I get ready to pack I realize just how much crap I have and I end up donating a lot of clothing. If I haven't worn it in several months and I can't think of an occasion to keep it for, I toss it.

I donate. My city has tons of drop boxes located near grocery stores and shopping stores..it's very easy to just drop off bags of stuff when I'm running errands. However, if I have any unworn clothes with tags on it, I will try and sell it on Ebay.

I went from a size 4 to a size 0 by the time I graduated from college. I kept a lot of my size 4 clothing until this past year just because I was unsure if I'd stay a constant size.

While I donated some stuff, since a lot of my clothes that no longer fit was new or gently worn, I sold it on Poshmark, Tradesy, and Threadflip. All three sites have their pros and cons. I'm currently using Threadflip's Full Service where I can send it all in and they take care of listing, communication with the buyer, and shipping (plus, then I don't have to store it).

How much do you get per pice from sites like that, pavilion?

My clothing is clean and mostly business casual. Very few pieces would be considered "posh". I have a few pairs of high end jeans and specialty store slacks, but the rest of it is just brands bought at big box shops.

My clothing is clean and mostly business casual. Very few pieces would be considered "posh". I have a few pairs of high end jeans and specialty store slacks, but the rest of it is just brands bought at big box shops.

For Poshmark, Threadflip, and Tradesy, you set your price (buyers can negotiate with you) and the site take a percentage of the selling price as a fee. Poshmark and Tradesy take 20% and Tradesy + their PayPal cash out end up taking about 11%. You do not have the pay for shipping (or have the option to make the buyer pay shipping) on all of the sites.

I just started using Threadflip's Full Service and since they handle all listing, shipping, and communication, they take 40% but you don't need to store your stuff since you ship it to them.

Not to self-promote (I just don't want to re-type everything), but I did a post on it on my blog the other day outlining all of the pros and cons.

If you are interested in donating (since it doesn't sound like selling would net you very much money), local women's shelters often are looking for clean, like new clothing. :smile:

If I'm not wearing it, I donate. I generally put items in a box then if I haven't touched it in a year, I send it on its way.

Stuff that I wear though I keep for years. I have some items that would be 8 years + old :P