How long after seller ships can I open a dispute

Sabinalynn

Bag obsessed
O.G.
Dec 17, 2007
Hi,
I posted a thread the other day about a seller who sent out my handbag last Wed via priority mail. It is now Monday and she claims she thinks she didn't have enough postage on it..it's now stuck at "arrival at unit" in AZ (where she sent it from). I'm afraid it's going to get lost now or take weeks to be returned to her.. I'm in Miami, FL. I needed it for a gift for this Friday which is 10 days from the time I paid. I can't afford to lose $500.00 and wait weeks and weeks for a delivery that's supposed to take 2 days. How long do I have to wait before I can file an "item not received" on paypal. TIA!:biggrin:

One time I mailed a package that weighted 4lbs 1oz which I marked it at 4lbs (that's what my scale said). My carrier brought the package back to me the next day- they didn't even scan the label. I was able to cancel the label and reship it with a new label. I'd think if there was insufficient postage they would send it back to the shipper right away- I don't know why it gets stuck in the distribution unit. Anyway I think you can file a dispute now I believe, but I'd give it a little more time. Hope it will find a way to you.

The other thing to consider is that USPS tracking absolutely sucks sometimes. And, sometimes a package IS on the move, but tracking is not updating. SO... that's another possibility, and it may well show up on your doorstep with no tracking updates until delivered.
If it was mailed last WENS, I'd wait a bit. PP asks that you allow 7 days for mailing.

It also worth considering that once you open a claim it can take a while to get your money back because ebay have to review the case, so this could take a few weeks also.
If it was me I would give it at least a week, I think even if she didn't put enough postage, it should still come to you and you just are billed for the difference.

But is she saying this or is she saying that she requested a cheaper method? i.e first class or parcel post because if that's the case it could take a couple of weeks to get to you.

When all is said and done it will probably be at least 6 weeks before (IF) you get your money back from PP if/when you file a dispute. So..why not try to have her trace it from her end - i.e. go to her p.o. and see if you she can someone help you locate it..? I mean if she has the tracking number and know where it is Or you can call with the tracking number and try to trace it. Talk to a PERSON.. Or else you just need to be patient. Sellers have a week (7 days) to ship and buyer can only file a not received after 8 days or something (after the 7 days seller has to ship it _ I think I am right about this). Too late but maybe you should have paid extra for express mail???

Last edited:
She shipped it via priority mail with delivery confirmation. Had I had the OPTION, I would have paid for express mail, but my only option was priority mail. She paid for priority mail but not enough since she paid for shipping through paypal and did not properly weigh the item. I did call her post office. Twice today and spoke to 2 people. They can't find the package in their facility nor do they have any idea where it is..since it says "arrival at unit" in AZ, this usually means it's about to be delivered. Both postal workers told me something must have been wrong with the package for it to go this route. So it is definitely the fault of the sender, not me. It has not been delivered back to her nor to me and info has not been updated on the usps site since Friday night. I will have no choice but to file a claim on Wed (7 days later) if I have still not received it. My brother received his money back from paypal in less than a week when he had a similar situation.

Well yes, when you pay alot of money for something, you expect to receive it in a decent amount of time and hope complications don't arise. Especially when the seller makes and error in which the package could get lost. I think you would be anxious too..

i can tell you want to get the claim process moving. so go ahead and file.
the only issue is...if the item arrives in the next few days, and it's SNAD, i don't think you would be able to open a SNAD claim. i am pretty sure you can pick either 'item not recieved' OR 'snad', so i'd personally wait a bit. for 100% if she doesn't have tracking showing it was delivered to you, you WILL get your money back, whether it's today or in 2 weeks. BUT, if it's SNAD and you can't file a claim for that, you may be screwed. so really, consider giving it another week.

Well yes, when you pay alot of money for something, you expect to receive it in a decent amount of time and hope complications don't arise. Especially when the seller makes and error in which the package could get lost. I think you would be anxious too..
Maybe buying on ebay is not a good idea for you, because it takes a little time to receive stuff and you have to have some patience. True she messed up by not putting enough postage on, but it hasn't even been a week yet!

If they catch it, it simply comes postage due, to you. It would not be held up by that.

Now USPS has been at a crawl lately so you need to have patience. Express mail is the only guaranteed mail - did you ask your seller if she could re-invoice you with that as an option?

The seller is not responsible for how long the post office takes to get it to. I had a Priority package take 22 days to go 150 miles up the coast from me and another take 1 day to get to NY.

Priority is usually 2-3 days, but not guaranteed.

If it really was PD, the PO might leave you a notice that the package is due to be picked up and that you need to pay for the remaining amount. It would cost them more to ship it back to the seller, so I don't see them doing that.
Another thing is if there wasn't enough postage, the box would have been returned to your seller (not shipped anyway). I think it's just being sorted right now.
Sometimes the delivery confirmation gets stuck at 'Arrival at Unit', with no further updates. Had this happen a few times at various locations, and the buyers got their packages.

eta- I see that you meant it's in AZ not FL...oh well, the above remains true. Hope you get it soon!