how is the leather and quality of oak alexas?

takeoutbox

Dec 21, 2006
I recently got to see an oak alexa in the store and tbh I was disappointed in the leather, esp the straps, the leather seem to be buckling a bit. Is this normal on alexa bags? how do you find the leather quality of the oak alexa? thanks.

There are loads of threads about the quality of Alexas on here and although opinions seem to vary a lot the general consensus is that there are good ones out there. If you're thinking of buying I'd advise you go and see them in person and ask to look at a few, I've seen some really terrible ones but if you find a good one they can be absolutely gorgeous.

thank you so much for your reply! i did a search and wow I am so glad i wasn't alone in feeling that. the leather was definitely subpar, i was really really disappointed.

I don't blame you, I feel the same.. I tried on the OS Alexa the other day in HOF after warming to the style (never really liked the standard size one) and it just reinforced what I had previously thought about the very poor quality of the leather for the price.

steph, i didn't buy it, i went to check it out since i've been wanting it forever.

onebagtoomany, i've been wanting the alexa forever. i was looking at the regular Alexa, i was expecting soft luscious leather, as soon as i saw the bag i was beyond disappointed.

Completely agree, I also coveted the Alexa for a long time but after seeing it for real, I don't think I've ever fallen out of love with a bag so quickly! Even if there are some good ones out there, I still don't think it's worth the price. The leather seems very average, like you'd find on a £70 leather bag from River Island.

I have probably been spoilt by Balenciaga leather, the leather on those bags is lush 99% of the time, much more hard-wearing (mine gets flung everywhere and is frequently rained on!) and it still looks fab. I'm due a new bag in December and having checked out every bag out there right now, I've come back to Balenciaga.

I've had a few Alexas and the leather on the earlier ones is far superior to the newer ones. Perhaps I've just been lucky but I have never had one with poor quality leather, it has always been thick and lovely.

I just recently purchased the oak alexa after buying the black alexa which looked like a plastic £10-15 bag and mine is perfect i think it is hit and miss with the leather as everyone knows it varys from bag to bag i think you just have to view a few as then you can choose.
Did you just see the display model only as they tend to be soft and worn a little, not the same as a new one from the stock room?

I was dissappointed at the quality of the leather too when I was choosing between the alexa and the bayswater so went with the bays in the end and I'm loving how the leather is just gorgeous on it

I was disappointed with mine too - I never swapped her or anything, but when I bring her out of the closet the first thing I notice is how thin the leather is, on the main part of the bag. I find myself continually pinching it and being shocked at how thin it is. The flap and strap are fine though - still, overall, it doesn't compare to the old bayswaters!