How is LV materials Quality?

NewYorkNY

Sep 27, 2014
Hello all! New to the forum (for threads) and I was seriously wondering how is the quality of the Louis Vuitton material? I wanted to buy the mens brown damier wallet for 499 and have my intials hot stamped on it. I was wondering how the material holds up over time. I know the older LV material and bags were made very good and durable. Does it still continue until today? And if not would you recommend I look for a different brand for a wallet/belt. (I am looking to get a LV brown damier belt too). I also am looking to get my girlfriend the biggest never full they have (for her graduation next year).

Hello all! New to the forum (for threads) and I was seriously wondering how is the quality of the Louis Vuitton material? I wanted to buy the mens brown damier wallet for 499 and have my intials hot stamped on it. I was wondering how the material holds up over time. I know the older LV material and bags were made very good and durable. Does it still continue until today? And if not would you recommend I look for a different brand for a wallet/belt. (I am looking to get a LV brown damier belt too). I also am looking to get my girlfriend the biggest never full they have (for her graduation next year).

The LV canvas is quite sturdy, but I'm not a fan of non-leather wallets. I prefer the offerings of Bottega Veneta & Ferragamo for belts and wallets.Although I have some friends that swear by their LV canvas wallets, and they haven't had anything to complain about.

If you try to search here, you'll see a couple of quality complaints...but it would be cool to have your very own Louis vuitton still if you dont have any...it was my dream bag so when i was able to own one i felt like the happiest girl in the world..i suggest you buy something in epi leather..i think its more sturdy than the canvas line or vernis...more expensive though...for your gf, she would love the bloomsbury, sully or the eva...nf was my first bag and after i bought it i realize it didnt suit me..i didnt like that it has no zipper and it was too big..maybe if i had a different lifestyle it would suit me...the strap digs on my shoulders when i put too much....if you really like the nf choose the pm size or even the nf in epi leather...a lot of people owns this bag especially the monogram and damier ebene..i find the damier azur cute though...before going to the store do your research first...when i went there i didnt know anything about LV, only that it is an expensive and well known brand name....

I bought my husband the multiple wallet in Graphite for our anniversary from the boutique. I had it hot stamped with his initials and it came out looking great. However, he started having issues with the glazing. The glazing started peeling and the wallet started separating at the crease after only two months. By month four, another part of the wallet was fraying and there was this ugly, pesky thread hanging from the wallet. Not impressed at all with the quality of their canvas for men's wallets. Of course, LV agreed to repair it free of charge. But, they did question whether my husband placed the wallet in his back or front pocket. I thought that was extremely silly. After only two months of use, it should not matter whether it was used in the front or back pocket. They would not replace the wallet because they said since it was only a glazing issue, a repair on the glazing would definitely fix the issue.

Btw, the nf and some bags have vachetta leather..its a virgin leather that would patina in time...some loves it some dont..it changes color in time..it becomes darker..you have to be careful that your hands is not wet or free from lotion or creams before holding the strap..this means you have to check the weather too before using the bag...some here even purchase moisturizers or stuff to protect it from water spots...its quite high maintenance...if your bag had to have that vachetta choose at least choose the one that is more canvas than vachetta leather..the Sa will tell you about it...there are threads here about how to care for your bag or what to do in case you poured something on it or anything. If you like a low maintenance bag, choose the damier ebene line or epi leather. The damier ebene though has some glazing issues. Again some have, some dont. Do your research. Goodluck,

My DE ZCP still looks brand new after over four years of almost daily use. I agree with the SA about men putting wallets in their back pocket though, my husband's wallets all start to look old/damaged very quickly because he does that (not LV).

I would highly recommend LV wallets in coated canvas (monogram or damier) as they are very resistant and carefree. A wallet gets dirty very fast because it is an object handled multiple times per day. You can wipe them easily and the material is very resistant.

You do have to keep an eye on the glazed edges and ask the store to reglaze them if you see they are wearing off. That's normal and your SA will do it for free when the wallet is fairly new. Later it's a very small fee.

Unlike Christophle (read above) I would not recommend Bottega Veneta wallets as the intrecciato leather is WAY too delicate.

I would highly recommend LV wallets in coated canvas (monogram or damier) as they are very resistant and carefree. A wallet gets dirty very fast because it is an object handled multiple times per day. You can wipe them easily and the material is very resistant.

You do have to keep an eye on the glazed edges and ask the store to reglaze them if you see they are wearing off. That's normal and your SA will do it for free when the wallet is fairly new. Later it's a very small fee.

Unlike Christophle (read above) I would not recommend Bottega Veneta wallets as the intrecciato leather is WAY too delicate.

+1. This exactly.

Epi leather is another good choice. I agree that BV is far too delicate. Pass, if you are looking for durability and bang for the buck.

+1. This exactly.

Epi leather is another good choice. I agree that BV is far too delicate. Pass, if you are looking for durability and bang for the buck.

I disagree. My bottega wallet looks new after 2 years. Its the most well made leather I've seen IMO. Maybe hermes is better but I haven't owned anything from them

Yup i think Lv wallets look durable... What i didnt like about the french wallet though is that its difficult to pry the kisslock open.... But the others looks well made

It's soft but far from delicate IMO. Everything bottega that I have is in immaculate condition after heavy use. Can't say the same about my LV's. I buy bottega for exceptional quality leather. I buy LV for the style and the great, not but at times not exceptional quality

I bought a monogram wallet in spring 2010 it's in perfect condition ! I have used this wallet everyday no glazing problems at all ! I'm not sure what is going on with LV and all the different issues they are having with cracking and glazing they must be using something new . I have owned LV bags for at least 10 years and never heard of problems until now !

I've used my Speedy B in DE for a little over a year and it's been great so far!

Also, the damier graphite seems to hold up alright, since DBF isn't always careful with it.

The quality is a bit "up and down". I had to replace 3 of my LV items. My PDV cracked on all corners after one week, a strap had loose seam, and a Multiple wallet had dents on the canvas surface. My Gucci items? -Never had any problems..