How important is the box for proper bag storage? Help please...

bem3231

O.G.
Aug 10, 2008
Hi everyone -

As some of you may know I am on vacation in Maui but managed to score a Shoulder Birkin on a day trip to Honolulu last week. I am now packing up to go home and am wondering what to do about the box.

I will carry the bag on with me (in it's dustbag, all in another bag), but am wondering about the box. Being a Shoulder Birkin the box is pretty huge (quite a bit bigger than B35). I could ship the box home to myself, but this would be a bit of a pain. We also keep a storage unit here, so I could store the box until we're back here next year and then decide how to get it home then.

Another thought is that if I left the box here, perhaps my boutique back home might be able to supply me with another box? How likely is that?

I would like some feedback on just how important the box is for proper storage of the bag? I am not going to throw the box out, but am wondering if I'm without it for a year will I regret it? I do, of course, plan to use the bag, but not every day, so I would want to be able to store it properly when not in use.

Any feedback or advice would be most appreciated - thank you! :smile:

I disposed a lot of the orange boxes because it get mould on it very easily and I don't have enough space for all of them. I put all my birkins in wardrobe only.
Box is not important to me:smile:

I guess the boxes would be nice for possible future resale, but certainly they are not a necessity. I absolutely do NOT have room for the boxes so store the bags in their dustbags, either standing or lying on the paper "pillow" (depending on the bag style) and I think it's fine. I have saved some of the boxes for storage of other items, and given some away. . . .

I would send it home.

The box is important to me personally. I only have one Birkin now so I do not put it back into the box often but I was told it is good to store the bag in the box, with the air pillow inside, laying down to help prevent the leather from slouching.... keeping the shape as long as possible is important to me. So once I build a few pieces into my collection, the box will be needed as I rotate bags. Just something to think about...

Oh, and I will say that I have a large house so the space needed for boxes is not a factor, neither is humidity. If space was a factor, I might reconsider.... might.

I would send it home.

The box is important to me personally. I only have one Birkin now so I do not put it back into the box often but I was told it is good to store the bag in the box, with the air pillow inside, laying down to help prevent the leather from slouching.... keeping the shape as long as possible is important to me. So once I build a few pieces into my collection, the box will be needed as I rotate bags. Just something to think about...

Oh, and I will say that I have a large house so the space needed for boxes is not a factor, neither is humidity. If space was a factor, I might reconsider.... might.
Add to that Miss "Anal" over here who puts her bag away after each use (unless on vacation) doing all the above with the addition of rotating the bag: one time sleeping on its back; next time on its front...too long on its back and can leave interior pocket imprints on its backside....I am crazy, I know...

Bem - However, while I have my boxes and their "accessories," at the end of the day it isn't CRITICAL to have the box. Just proper love and care for your bag will be fine...however, if you can, ship the box home...

Thank you for your feedback, ladies! To clarify, we have storage here in Hawaii so if I don't ship it home I won't necessarily be forfeiting it - just leaving it until next year to decide then if I want to ship it home.

I am leaning towards storing the box here for the meantime and then deciding on our next trip whether to send it home. I may even see if my SA at home might be able to supply a box.

One question - are your references to the 'pillow' the paper pillows provided by Hermes, or some kind of custom item. My bag did not actually come with anything inside it for shaping, but they did package it in with many paper 'pillows' around it and around the Hermes box in the larger box for me to ship it back to Maui. Could I assume that Hermes supplied paper would be acid free? I realize that, especially if I don't have the box, I should be storing the bag with something inside it so that it retains its shape.

Thank you for your feedback, ladies! To clarify, we have storage here in Hawaii so if I don't ship it home I won't necessarily be forfeiting it - just leaving it until next year to decide then if I want to ship it home.

I am leaning towards storing the box here for the meantime and then deciding on our next trip whether to send it home. I may even see if my SA at home might be able to supply a box.

One question - are your references to the 'pillow' the paper pillows provided by Hermes, or some kind of custom item. My bag did not actually come with anything inside it for shaping, but they did package it in with many paper 'pillows' around it and around the Hermes box in the larger box for me to ship it back to Maui. Could I assume that Hermes supplied paper would be acid free? I realize that, especially if I don't have the box, I should be storing the bag with something inside it so that it retains its shape.

Hermes provides paper pillows surrounding the bag for proper support in the right areas inside the box.... and air pillows (plastic that is sealed with air inside) to put inside the bag. This all just makes it easier to keep the box with the bag.

Yes, the paper from Hermes is Acid Free.

Add to that Miss "Anal" over here who puts her bag away after each use (unless on vacation) doing all the above with the addition of rotating the bag: one time sleeping on its back; next time on its front...too long on its back and can leave interior pocket imprints on its backside....I am crazy, I know...

Bem - However, while I have my boxes and their "accessories," at the end of the day it isn't CRITICAL to have the box. Just proper love and care for your bag will be fine...however, if you can, ship the box home...

good to know!!!! Thx GB!!!

Glamourbag: Wow! I never stopped to think that lying the bag on its bag is actually causing the pocket imprints.

So does it not damage the turn or front of the bag to have the weight of the bag rest on the the turn ? I guess maybe it's resting on the handle and the turn doesn't touch the box?

I'm so happy, thanks for the tip. I'm so "anal" about my bags too, and I learned something today!! Thank you!!!:hugs:

When not in use, I store my birkin in the dust bag with air pillow in the bag and all in the box. I actually enjoy opening up the box and pretending like it is the first time I have seen my b. It's kind of like a fun ritual for me. I know, call me dorky......... (I rotate bags constantly because of weather. I never take my birkin out in the rain. That's what the Goyards and caviar Chanel flaps are for...:P) I say, keep the box.

Lol I never knew you were this nuts!! :ghi5: