How has Coronavirus impacted your life and your lifestyle?

Hi!
To help keep from veering off topic or towards politics, here’s a reminder of the topic of the thread:

“Being this is a fashion driven forum, I am curious as to how this has impacted your lifestyle. Are you still buying purses, shoes or any high-end luxury items? How have you prepared and how do you plan to pass the next year of your life?”

There's other threads to discuss variants, deaths, etc... and as always we don't allow politics on tPF :cutesy:

Last edited:
I’ve been sick with Long Covid since April 2021. I understand that having Covid for two weeks sucks but it’s such a trip to hear people having a very difficult time with a typical Covid infection when I’ve been sick for so long. It’s also scary when friends and family get Covid because no one really knows who will come down with Long Covid and who won’t. Most of my friends and fam continue to wear masks and socially distance b/c they’ve seen what I’ve gone through, but it still haunts me. I feel that most people have no idea how bad it can get.

Obviously this has influenced my purchase habits. I was very much a “fun buyer” pre-Covid and now I mostly purchase for comfort and practicality. I find myself gravitating toward fuzzy, furry, or otherwise comfy pieces. I recently bought the new puffy Chanel sandals (which are chic but on the no-frills side) whereas before I probably would have gotten something more bubbly (perhaps a logo print) or something with a heel. I also got my first Chanel 19, which is arguably the most comfortable bag in existence ~ legit feels like toting around a giant marshmallow :smile: Now I’m trying to hunt down the perfect shearling/fluffy bag rn.
I get what you're saying and Im so sorry you still have long covid. Most dont know nor understand how bad it can be until they experience it first hand.

Gosh i remember and miss getting all dolled up before going out. These days I just live in my sweats and jammies and make sure I'm "zoom" presentable. My friends and I have temporarily shelved any indoor gatherings until this wave is over and it waas their idea, not mine, because of how contagious this wave has been. They're spooked and they normally DGAF and go shopping, meet up w/ fam, dine indoors, you name it.

Have you seen the hot pink Ugg versions? Lol I know that's a downgrade dup but hey I know my lane. ;)

Feel better and I sincerely hope you make a full recovery soon. Long covid is no joke. I remember when I had it and I thought I was going crazy cuz of all the wierd symptoms. Its truly debilitating

Reactions: Cavalier Girl
Hello all, thanks for your encouragement before I took my trip last wk. So far no symptoms in these first 24h since flying back... I did truly enjoy myself on the actual trip but don't think I'll agree to any more anytime soon. The flights there had about 50-60% of people masked and heard a little bit of dry coughing. But on the 2nd leg back (leaving layover in Las Vegas), only about a dozen people out of 150+ on the plane were wearing masks, and a lot of the unmasked people were coughing wet coughs. Yuck. I avoided eating at the airport in Las Vegas as well, just because of the number of sick people I saw. Kept my mask on super tight and moved to a more empty terminal until it was boarding time for my flight in the crowded terminal. At all the airports I passed through, it seemed like the cleaning staff were being very diligent, it was really just the travelers who were not being so considerate.

I'm doing a grocery pick up order today and planning to lay low at home for the next week or so just to make sure I don't come down with anything, and also to recharge from general travel fatigue. I would say maybe I'm paranoid but the flights there and the flights back were really night and day. It's not a gamble I want to take again since I want to be able to see my immunocompromised friends and family here locally. But I will enjoy the memories from this trip for a while.

Hello all, thanks for your encouragement before I took my trip last wk. So far no symptoms in these first 24h since flying back... I did truly enjoy myself on the actual trip but don't think I'll agree to any more anytime soon. The flights there had about 50-60% of people masked and heard a little bit of dry coughing. But on the 2nd leg back (leaving layover in Las Vegas), only about a dozen people out of 150+ on the plane were wearing masks, and a lot of the unmasked people were coughing wet coughs. Yuck. I avoided eating at the airport in Las Vegas as well, just because of the number of sick people I saw. Kept my mask on super tight and moved to a more empty terminal until it was boarding time for my flight in the crowded terminal. At all the airports I passed through, it seemed like the cleaning staff were being very diligent, it was really just the travelers who were not being so considerate.

I'm doing a grocery pick up order today and planning to lay low at home for the next week or so just to make sure I don't come down with anything, and also to recharge from general travel fatigue. I would say maybe I'm paranoid but the flights there and the flights back were really night and day. It's not a gamble I want to take again since I want to be able to see my immunocompromised friends and family here locally. But I will enjoy the memories from this trip for a while.
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I'm glad the trip you were able to maintain your safety and comfort during these challenging times.

Well, although Covid clearly isn't considered a "thing" anymore by lots of places/organizations, it has just now hit my family. My daughter came home from camp (where she had a negative PCR test in order to attend and had a rapid test upon arrival, as did all other campers) and began experiencing a sore throat and stuffy nose. Then, about a week later, my son experienced the same symptoms along with extreme tiredness. While we haven't had them tested yet (we will rapid test them tomorrow), my son's friends - with whom he was doing "staycation" activities earlier this week - have tested positive for covid. Out of seven of them, three have so far tested positive and my son is likely positive, too.

I had my second booster about three weeks ago, I think (just before my daughter went to camp), but I admit I am concerned. My mum is undergoing radiation treatment after a mastectomy in May, so I am hesitant to see her and potentially expose her. For those of you more experienced and knowledgeable than I am regarding the new variants, how long should I quarantine myself from her if I am not displaying symptoms? And if I do experience symptoms? I just want to be sure to be as safe as possible regarding her health right now.

Well, although Covid clearly isn't considered a "thing" anymore by lots of places/organizations, it has just now hit my family. My daughter came home from camp (where she had a negative PCR test in order to attend and had a rapid test upon arrival, as did all other campers) and began experiencing a sore throat and stuffy nose. Then, about a week later, my son experienced the same symptoms along with extreme tiredness. While we haven't had them tested yet (we will rapid test them tomorrow), my son's friends - with whom he was doing "staycation" activities earlier this week - have tested positive for covid. Out of seven of them, three have so far tested positive and my son is likely positive, too.

I had my second booster about three weeks ago, I think (just before my daughter went to camp), but I admit I am concerned. My mum is undergoing radiation treatment after a mastectomy in May, so I am hesitant to see her and potentially expose her. For those of you more experienced and knowledgeable than I am regarding the new variants, how long should I quarantine myself from her if I am not displaying symptoms? And if I do experience symptoms? I just want to be sure to be as safe as possible regarding her health right now.
The CDC guidelines was five days to quarantine. To be on the safe side I would take a PCR test instead of the home test kits for a negative result. Anyone who comes near your mom should be tested ,mask wearing, and socially distance. Fully vaccinated and boosted can still catch and pass this virus around.

According to my doctor, the at home tests have a 40% false negative. He told me his phone blows up 2-3 weeks before the waves hit the media.

So basically if you've been exposed or are worried and your rapid test shows negative, get a pcr test done. The vaccines & boosters that are distributed right now dont cover the current variants. THOSE boosters will not be available until the fall. So the "reinfections" are actually not that - its folks being infected with each subsequent variant.

Based on the symptoms you've described, it honestly sounds like your kids both brought covid home from camp. From what I've observed from the over dozen current cases in my immediate circle, they're contagious for at least full 2 weeks after testing positive. I wouldnt go near your mother given all that. That's how long they've tested positive. CDC can say whatever. I personally would never forgive myself if I gave someone covid - especially if its someone I care about. And more importantly you have no idea how that person will react to the infection.

Last edited:
You're absolutely right, hermes_lemming. My son tested positive and my daughter tested negative, but they sent in a pcr test for her. Regardless, I won't be seeing my mum for a minimum of two weeks, regardless of whether I display symptoms or not.

Both kids are also vaccinated, and they are doing well. Just a sore throat, runny nose and some tiredness, and they're starting to feel better. I hope they're able to shake this without lingering symptoms. I am fortunately still symptom free/negative for now.

I just found out yesterday that I have COVID. I also found out today that we are going back to the office in September. I just got this job 3 weeks ago. I said if we go back to the office that I would have to quit. I have an autoimmune disorder and the last 20 years of my work has been human services/counseling. I am going to have to quit despite just starting this job and retire from human services profession at the age of 40. Before this virus and before my autoimmune disorder I used to do home visits, do field work, etc. I am supposed to start a doctor of human services degree but I think I need to do something else. I have been leaning towards accounting.

I just found out yesterday that I have COVID. I also found out today that we are going back to the office in September. I just got this job 3 weeks ago. I said if we go back to the office that I would have to quit. I have an autoimmune disorder and the last 20 years of my work has been human services/counseling. I am going to have to quit despite just starting this job and retire from human services profession at the age of 40. Before this virus and before my autoimmune disorder I used to do home visits, do field work, etc. I am supposed to start a doctor of human services degree but I think I need to do something else. I have been leaning towards accounting.
Sorry to hear that. I hope you have a speedy recovery and hope all your plans turn out well.

So many people have this strain and I’m sorry for everyone who has it on this thread.

I finally caught it a month ago having avoided it for the rest of the time. Absolute miracle because I’m a key worker and social distancing and mask wearing just don’t happen with younger children in education. I’m hoping for boosters for education staff in the U.K. as well as for Health care workers but they didn’t allow that last time. We went to work and milled around with hundreds of people every day and were given no priority despite the government wanting schools to carry on. Staff absence rates were awful for months which has a negative impact on everyone.

Covid was like bad flu for me. I hardly got out of bed for 5 days and then was exhausted for some weeks but nothing more. I’m hoping not to catch it again quickly now.

From what I've observed from the over dozen current cases in my immediate circle, they're contagious for at least full 2 weeks after testing positive.
I agree. 5 day quarantine is definitely not long enough.
When my dad tested positive, his doctor prescribed him paxlovid. On the 5th day, he felt much better and the doctor told him that he didn't have to quarantine.
My mom, who stayed with me for about 9 days just to be on the safe side, went back to their place 9 days after my dad's initial positive test.
Well, my mom got covid from him. It wasn't from me because all my tests were negative. So, apparently my dad's 5 days of quarantine were definitely not enough!

I agree. 5 day quarantine is definitely not long enough.
When my dad tested positive, his doctor prescribed him paxlovid. On the 5th day, he felt much better and the doctor told him that he didn't have to quarantine.
My mom, who stayed with me for about 9 days just to be on the safe side, went back to their place 9 days after my dad's initial positive test.
Well, my mom got covid from him. It wasn't from me because all my tests were negative. So, apparently my dad's 5 days of quarantine were definitely not enough!
How's your mom doing Smama? I know you've mentioned she's immunocompromised. :shocked:

• Thanks
Reactions: Sunshine mama