South Coast Plaza Hermes?

Longest I’ve gone without hearing from mine was like 2 weeks but I figured I would reach out a month(ish) in advance to try to get an appointment with them for my birthday (it’s next weekend!) And hopefully something special from my wishlist

I’ve noticed even during the weekends, the line hasn’t been as long anymore.

Let me share my experience at SCP.

I went there last week, only 2 people wondering around. 3 SAs were just standing there doing nothing. No line at all. No leather bags on display at all.

I wanted to buy some clothes, scarves & tablewares and started off with a bag charm inquiry just to feel the vibe (I heard some SAs at SCP were “something else”). I wasn’t interested in H bags including BKC lol. I want to work with someone who deserves the comission (and since I don’t like their bags, I don’t need to play the H game).

So I approached 1 SA & asked about a bag charm (not rodeo) she said “oh charms are very popular here and they don’t even make it to the floor.” OK so not a response I was expecting to hear…Clearly she didn’t want to help me (a potential new client who would buy only non-leather goods).

I’m good at reading people and let’s just say I could feel the negative energy coming out of her. Her approach could have been better (or maybe she was just being brutally honest?), she could have offered to put me on the list and that would have opened up my next conversation.

I thanked her and “kick” myself out of the store :smile:

Let me share my experience at SCP.

I went there last week, only 2 people wondering around. 3 SAs were just standing there doing nothing. No line at all. No leather bags on display at all.

I wanted to buy some clothes, scarves & tablewares and started off with a bag charm inquiry just to feel the vibe (I heard some SAs at SCP were “something else”). I wasn’t interested in H bags including BKC lol. I want to work with someone who deserves the comission (and since I don’t like their bags, I don’t need to play the H game).

So I approached 1 SA & asked about a bag charm (not rodeo) she said “oh charms are very popular here and they don’t even make it to the floor.” OK so not a response I was expecting to hear…Clearly she didn’t want to help me (a potential new client who would buy only non-leather goods).

I’m good at reading people and let’s just say I could feel the negative energy coming out of her. Her approach could have been better (or maybe she was just being brutally honest?), she could have offered to put me on the list and that would have opened up my next conversation.

I thanked her and “kick” myself out of the store :smile:
Wow I'm really sorry about your experience. That sounds terrible. I would have imagined a buyer who's motivated to buy non-leather goods would be an SA's dream. Maybe without the goal of a quota bag they felt that your spend wouldn't be enough to interest them, but even then that's still awful.

Reactions: excalibur
Wow I'm really sorry about your experience. That sounds terrible. I would have imagined a buyer who's motivated to buy non-leather goods would be an SA's dream. Maybe without the goal of a quota bag they felt that your spend wouldn't be enough to interest them, but even then that's still awful.

Yeah she would have earned some nice comission :smile: I wasn’t in a rush in getting my stuff as they’re for Christmas gifts for myself and loved ones. Next time maybe I’ll do my experiment at other stores. IMO snobbish SAs don’t deserve my business at all.

it's possible that the SA read you better than you thought
and realised that your interest in a bag charm was just to feel the vibe
If that's the case wouldn't it still be in the SA's best interest to help a potential client as best as they can? Especially at a time when it seems like the store was a bit slow. You should never make assumptions about potential clients. Julia Roberts taught us that in Pretty Woman :smile:

If that's the case wouldn't it still be in the SA's best interest to help a potential client as best as they can? Especially at a time when it seems like the store was a bit slow. You should never make assumptions about potential clients. Julia Roberts taught us that in Pretty Woman :smile:
Perhaps the SA had sensed the potential client's patronising intention to bestow her custom upon an SA she deemed worthy to benefit from the commission, with the possible ensuing difficult association.

Reactions: Angelian
In the end that SA lost her commission :smile:

I used to lead sales team before, so I know which colleague were motivated and which were not.
But maybe in H world it works differently? Like if a new client is only looking for something below $1k, ignore them lol

I don't want to make assumptions about their behavior at the store. Yes I agree the post here has undertones of disdain for Hermes, but I can't take that to mean they walked into the store muttering about how ugly everything is under their breath. Speaking from experience the first time my wife and I went to Hermes SCP to ask about buying a Birkin or Kelly we were also politely and curtly dismissed. We didn't feel great about the interaction and came back to the store a day or two later and approached our now-SA who looked like they weren't helping anyone. We spoke with them for a bit about our goals, bought a few things, and have now been with them for a few years.

I used to lead sales team before, so I know which colleague were motivated and which were not.
But maybe in H world it works differently? Like if a new client is only looking for something below $1k, ignore them lol
My SA does not take new client since the beginning of this year. He/she said that they already had a long list of clients and cannot take any new clients because they're afraid they can't promise them any bag. I brought in some friends who are willing to spend and my SA still say no, lol.

• Insightful
Reactions: 880

In that SAs mind she didn’t lose commission at all especially since the item you were inquiring about sales itself before it hits the floor. With empty shelves they aren’t missing out at all. I would’ve been surprised if they had any of the items you were looking for especially homewares and rtw.

But, it is important that you find someone that you like and click with so shopping with SA doesn’t have to be about making a sale on their end.

Last edited:
maybe she was just being brutally honest?
Agree. In every store I’ve been in, charms, some popular shoe models (orans, chypres, sneakers), SLG esp calvi, and dishes, are reserved for locals. In my own home store, I’ve gotten a B25 but not chypres. In addition, I have been told that SCP is extremely popular with resellers, which may contribute to an SAs demeanor. This sounds better to me than Milan, where there were basically no SAs to help me at all (in RTW or fine jewelry)

re your observation that perhaps an SA doesn’t want to help a client for under 1000 USD, I would say that it depends on the category. Most SAs in premier luxury brands including Hermes seem to prefer not to service the areas near the entrance or deal with first floor shoppers.
cannot take any new clients because they're afraid they can't promise them any bag
This is exactly my experience
the item you were inquiring about sales itself before it hits the floor. With empty shelves they aren’t missing out at all. I would’ve been surprised if they had any of the items you were looking for especially homewares and rtw.
I agree with all of the above based on my experiences in US (mainly my home store NYC) Canada, EU (Paris, Vienna, Berlin, Milan, Rome) and UK. If I want help from a new SA, I lead with an inquiry re RTW bc every store has a slightly different buy. I’ve also had experiences similar to @alittleshy, and have had to try another time.

JMO though and YMMV

Last edited:
Can someone provide me the online website to book appts at SCP? I haven’t booked an appointment through it for a while so I totally forgot the website. TIA
Hello! I was just there this weekend and according to my SA, the store is no longer by appointment so we can now walk-in or wait in line. I texted my SA to make sure that he was going to be there and let her/him know that I was planning to go shopping. The wait wasn’t long considering that it was a weekend. My SA was working with another client when I walked in but that didn’t bother me. It gave me some time to browse around. I hope helps. Have fun shopping!