How far in advance to start booking flights/consultations?

JessicaCorbyn

Mar 21, 2016
I'm going to get PS this summer (or Sep/Oct at latest) and have contacted a few clinics re: jaw/chin/zygoma reduction and consultations.

A couple of them have said to book a consultation a month in advance. Is this the standard timing or can you get an agent who does it in few weeks/days?

Thanks ^^

Just based on my experience in May. 1 week was enough to book consults with my favourite clinics. 2 weeks notice would be even better.

I booked my flights and accomodation as soon as the clinics confirmed consult dates.

And once here, I also did a few walk in's. That was fine to get price comparisons and surgical plan advice. Though expect a more rushed consult or not being able to see the Dr. at all. If you're keen on the clinic, I'd recommend just to touch base and let them know you'd like to visit or walk in to book a consult. This is a more polite way to do it rather than request a consult on the spot and I'm sure everyone will be happier for it.

Just based on my experience in May. 1 week was enough to book consults with my favourite clinics. 2 weeks notice would be even better.

I booked my flights and accomodation as soon as the clinics confirmed consult dates.

And once here, I also did a few walk in's. That was fine to get price comparisons and surgical plan advice. Though expect a more rushed consult or not being able to see the Dr. at all. If you're keen on the clinic, I'd recommend just to touch base and let them know you'd like to visit or walk in to book a consult. This is a more polite way to do it rather than request a consult on the spot and I'm sure everyone will be happier for it.
Hi, have u already had a surgery? Could u tell apprx how much time needed for every consult + waiting in line? Thanx!

Actually today willl be my first (Des)
If you have an appointment, usually there is no waiting. Consult time 20mins on average max 1hr (depends if you're doing multiple surgeries at the same place, or if you need photos, tests or scans)

First you'll see a consultant to discuss your goals and concerns, they'll try to answer your most obvious questions. Complete tests/photos if needed. Then you'll see the doctor for assessment, surgical plan and Q&A. Finally back to see the consultant again to discuss price/booking date. Generally you'll spend more time with the consultant than doctor.

Reactions: Wonderer89
Actually today willl be my first (Des)
If you have an appointment, usually there is no waiting. Consult time 20mins on average max 1hr (depends if you're doing multiple surgeries at the same place, or if you need photos, tests or scans)

First you'll see a consultant to discuss your goals and concerns, they'll try to answer your most obvious questions. Complete tests/photos if needed. Then you'll see the doctor for assessment, surgical plan and Q&A. Finally back to see the consultant again to discuss price/booking date. Generally you'll spend more time with the consultant than doctor.
Oh, wish u all the best! Please share with us on ur experience later, what clinic have u chosen?

Thank you :smile: ^^. How long did you consult with clinics for? Did you always get to see the doctor doing the operation?

Where did you go in the end if you don't mind me asking? Was it good? I am still making a list of clinics.

Hi Jessica,

I didn't shop around too much because I'm kinda impatient.. lol (don't do this)
At least make sure you read and read!

Yes I did get to see the doctors for my consults. I'm actually not fond of the super large clinics. I'm of the opinion they're 'too big to care'

With the medium to smaller clinics, you will almost definitely see the operating surgeon with their reputation heavily relying on exceptional results and care.

What surgery are you interested in?

Oh, wish u all the best! Please share with us on ur experience later, what clinic have u chosen?

Thx Setgo. Pls feel free to PM for more detail. But i'll try to share some. I decided on Dr.Kwon from Teuim. I had Ptosis, Incis DES + Epi.. Wow what an experience.. I had natural semi double eyelids anyway but my upper lids felt tired and droopy.

I hope no one is disillusioned that it is a walk in the park.

That first anaesthetic is the most intensely painful, strangest, out of this world high I've ever experienced. The feeling was like physically disappearing and falling or floating into a kaleidoscope of shifting super bright colours and shapes that after a while is so intriguing you want to experience more of it..... absolutely surreal. Anyone ever see final episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion? .. And then you come to reality shortly after and experience live eye surgery FPV. Hang on tight, this part while not particularly painful, it is not pleasant either. I am glad that Dr.Kwon seemed like a perfectionist though, adjusting, re-adjusting and checking the balance. So seeing that he wanted to do the best he could, I was more than happy to wait.

After surgery, a really pretty+nice nurse (Eun Jeong?) helped me tape up and I laid down with an icepack for about an hour. So glad it was over. First night is fairly unpleasant, I spent most of it rotating ice packs and just staying positive with some good music. Day two is soo so much better. Swelling has gone down.
Minimal to no pain at all and returned to the clinic to have the tape across the epi & nose area removed :smile:

Results are too soon to judge, still crazy swollen, but the balance looks great. Hope the crease slims down a lot!.... stitches out in about 6 days.

Thx Setgo. Pls feel free to PM for more detail. But i'll try to share some. I decided on Dr.Kwon from Teuim. I had Ptosis, Incis DES + Epi.. Wow what an experience.. I had natural semi double eyelids anyway but my upper lids felt tired and droopy.

I hope no one is disillusioned that it is a walk in the park.

That first anaesthetic is the most intensely painful, strangest, out of this world high I've ever experienced. The feeling was like physically disappearing and falling or floating into a kaleidoscope of shifting super bright colours and shapes that after a while is so intriguing you want to experience more of it..... absolutely surreal. Anyone ever see final episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion? .. And then you come to reality shortly after and experience live eye surgery FPV. Hang on tight, this part while not particularly painful, it is not pleasant either. I am glad that Dr.Kwon seemed like a perfectionist though, adjusting, re-adjusting and checking the balance. So seeing that he wanted to do the best he could, I was more than happy to wait.

After surgery, a really pretty+nice nurse (Eun Jeong?) helped me tape up and I laid down with an icepack for about an hour. So glad it was over. First night is fairly unpleasant, I spent most of it rotating ice packs and just staying positive with some good music. Day two is soo so much better. Swelling has gone down.
Minimal to no pain at all and returned to the clinic to have the tape across the epi & nose area removed :smile:

Results are too soon to judge, still crazy swollen, but the balance looks great. Hope the crease slims down a lot!.... stitches out in about 6 days.

Thanks for sharing! Will be waiting on your progress updates :smile:

Last edited:
Hi Jessica,

I didn't shop around too much because I'm kinda impatient.. lol (don't do this)
At least make sure you read and read!

Yes I did get to see the doctors for my consults. I'm actually not fond of the super large clinics. I'm of the opinion they're 'too big to care'

With the medium to smaller clinics, you will almost definitely see the operating surgeon with their reputation heavily relying on exceptional results and care.

What surgery are you interested in?

Thank you! I have done research on clinics, but am still looking b/c I cant speak Korean so it is harder for me to find the good ones :biggrin:

My list is so far:

-Regen (but as you say large)
-TL
-Hershe
-iWell
-Item
-MVP

Are these good surgeries? What was Teium clinic like? :smile:

Wow, I am avoiding Teuim because I've heard a lot about their anesthetic. Ketamine is known for producing trances and is used in veterinary medicine :P

Omg do different clinics use different anaesthetics? Where can I find more on this?

In Germany people take ketamine as a drug..

Hi Jessica, i think this may depend on each individual country's medical safety standards. In NZ Ketamine is certainly used for surgical purposes too. Ofcause, prior to surgery surgeons should do a survey with you, go through medications/ substances that you are allergic to. For me for example, i can not take paracetamol. Ofcause if i had surgeries that means whatever pain med the doctors will prescribe me afterwards, should definitely not contain paracetamol. Anesthetic should be a same, but if there's not risk of allergy, or not any known allergy, maybe Ketamine is standard sole anaesthetic agent in Korea.
Here's the New Zealand medsafe datasheet, this means it is medically safety approved in NZ Ministry of Health, therefore a good chance it is also in Korea and many other countries. However, each country is different, and it is only safe under a qualified medical anesthetist. As for its uses in veterinary purposes, well yes sure, many drugs we use on humans are used on animals, and vice versa. Chemicals and chemicals, they work pretty much the same on living organisms, it is just used in different dosages. http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/profs/datasheet/k/ketamineinf.pdf

Note in the precaution section: "Post-operative confusional states may occur during the recovery period (see
Precautions, Emergence Reaction). " <-- this is very very common, confusion occurs in most patients after operations.

As for abuse, yes its true, any central nervous system depressant can be abused in the wrong hands. However, you shouldnt be concerned as this is one off thing. You won't be on this med on regular basis, therefore there's no chance of dependency developing. Adverse however, is maybe what we are concerned about here. Unfortunately, all meds come with it, and especially anesthesia, will give a "trip" like experience, and feel abit sick after the med wears off. I see it all the time, patients start to get confused, and move their arms about in bed after surgery. If you are not allergic to any of the components of ketamine, you shouldnt be concerned about it, if its done by a safe anesthetist ofcause. :smile:
The main concern here is the danger of CNS depressants in the wrong hands; if it's not done by a ethical, professional/ medical qualified anesthetist with experience, no matter what anesthesia is used - Ketamine or not, there is chance of mortality. That is why i think clinical practitioners experiences/ qualifications and any clinic incident histories are very important to look into. If not managed and monitored properly, anesthetics can be dangerous and lethal by stopping respiration and contraction of heart.

Last edited:
Hi Jessica, i think this may depend on each individual country's medical safety standards. In NZ Ketamine is certainly used for surgical purposes too. Ofcause, prior to surgery surgeons should do a survey with you, go through medications/ substances that you are allergic to. For me for example, i can not take paracetamol. Ofcause if i had surgeries that means whatever pain med the doctors will prescribe me afterwards, should definitely not contain paracetamol. Anesthetic should be a same, but if there's not risk of allergy, or not any known allergy, maybe Ketamine is standard sole anaesthetic agent in Korea.
Here's the New Zealand medsafe datasheet, this means it is medically safety approved in NZ Ministry of Health, therefore a good chance it is also in Korea and many other countries. However, each country is different, and it is only safe under a qualified medical anesthetist. As for its uses in veterinary purposes, well yes sure, many drugs we use on humans are used on animals, and vice versa. Chemicals and chemicals, they work pretty much the same on living organisms, it is just used in different dosages. http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/profs/datasheet/k/ketamineinf.pdf

Note in the precaution section: "Post-operative confusional states may occur during the recovery period (see
Precautions, Emergence Reaction). " <-- this is very very common, confusion occurs in most patients after operations.

As for abuse, yes its true, any central nervous system depressant can be abused in the wrong hands. However, you shouldnt be concerned as this is one off thing. You won't be on this med on regular basis, therefore there's no chance of dependency developing. Adverse however, is maybe what we are concerned about here. Unfortunately, all meds come with it, and especially anesthesia, will give a "trip" like experience, and feel abit sick after the med wears off. I see it all the time, patients start to get confused, and move their arms about in bed after surgery. If you are not allergic to any of the components of ketamine, you shouldnt be concerned about it, if its done by a safe anesthetist ofcause. :smile:
The main concern here is the danger of CNS depressants in the wrong hands; if it's not done by a ethical, professional/ medical qualified anesthetist with experience, no matter what anesthesia is used - Ketamine or not, there is chance of mortality. That is why i think clinical practitioners experiences/ qualifications and any clinic incident histories are very important to look into. If not managed and monitored properly, anesthetics can be dangerous and lethal by stopping respiration and contraction of heart.

Hey again :smile: Great advice, thanks! Do you work in a medical place if you dont mind me asking?

Yeah, you would think clinics always have medically trained people to do surgery, but I read about TL for example that the English consultant took out someone's cannula which they are not trained to do :sad: The good thing for anaesthesia though is that you are still awake haha. So you can see who is doing it.

I might ask to meet my anaesthesist as well as the doctor pre surgery if I can :biggrin:

Hey again :smile: Great advice, thanks! Do you work in a medical place if you dont mind me asking?

Yeah, you would think clinics always have medically trained people to do surgery, but I read about TL for example that the English consultant took out someone's cannula which they are not trained to do :sad: The good thing for anaesthesia though is that you are still awake haha. So you can see who is doing it.

I might ask to meet my anaesthesist as well as the doctor pre surgery if I can :biggrin:

Oh taking out cannula by consultant sound abit dodgy haha. But Cannula is one of the easiest thing to do i guess, just pull the luer out while putting pressure to prevent bleeding, but still you need a enrolled/ registered nurse to do that.

I am a student nurse at the moment, i am down to my last year in my degree. I do clinical placement every semester at different wards in hospital. I been in surgical, orthopedics, gastrointestinal acute medical wards, those are wards that have patients before and after surgical procedures (especially orthopedics). I have attended surgeries and watched the whole process, as well as reading the medical notes and medication charts, so i have a good idea how surgeons do their works. Believe me it does look quite brutal, surgeons using saws, power tools, chisels and hammers looking like they are carpenters instead of working on a person. But it's how its done. :smile:
The idea is the longer you are under the effect of anesthesia the worse you will feel after the med wear off. So the bigger the procedure, or if surgeons are combining multiple procedures into 1 session will mean longer anesthesia process. You will feel nausea, vomiting, headache, confusion etc, but its all common symptoms, it does however need vigilant monitoring by experienced doctors and nurses. In hospitals vital signs must be taken every 30 min after patient is released from post-op room. And in the post-op room patients are not released back into wards untill conditions are stable, and you have one on one nurse sitting next to you watching the screen displaying the vital signs at all times.
I think it is a good idea to meet the medical practitioners before hand, you can ask them some questions to get an idea how professional and ethical they are: like if they do a brief physical exam pre-op, they should be doing that and a medical history/ current medications/ allergies/ physical health status assessments. And if the anesthetist stay with the patient during the whole surgical procedure, because they must! Their job is to remain with the patient while the surgery is going on and monitor patient's vital signs closely, and take action if any signs the patient is becoming unstable, so they must be present to see the surgery through. These are all components that will affect what anesthesia agent to use, dosage and ofcause is it even safe for you to under go certain procedures. :smile: