Home & Garden How far in advance do you decorate for each holiday?

Swanky

Admin
Admin
O.G.
Jan 12, 2006
Curiously. . .

DH wants to put our Halloween wreaths on the front doors but I think it's too early.

Made me wonder what is too early?
Should I wait until Oct 1? Oct 15?

Not Halloween specifically, when do you decorate for a holiday?

Mid/late September for Halloween. Thanksgiving on 11/1
Christmas right after Thanksgiving.
Christmas decor goes down right after new year, which is a bit late, but I like to do it when I'm mentally preparing to go back to work.

Usually my christmas try goes up in November :smile:
I'm obsessed with Christmas! Haha,
I celebrate Canada Thanksgiving but I don't put any decorations up.
Switzerland is anti-Halloween, so nothing for that either. Not even bags of chocolate bars 50% off on November 1st :sad:

Usually my christmas try goes up in November :smile:
I'm obsessed with Christmas! Haha,
I celebrate Canada Thanksgiving but I don't put any decorations up.
Switzerland is anti-Halloween, so nothing for that either. Not even bags of chocolate bars 50% off on November 1st :sad:

Aww. That's like the best part of Halloween too. The day after with cheap candy.

I had not realized until today that apparently today is called "Orange Tuesday" and is the day that most stores roll out their Halloween products. While I think it is too early, given that Halloween is the second biggest spending holiday in the US, I cannot blame the stores for getting things out there.

I don't mind a few fall themed things at the end of September, Halloween October 1st, and the tree for Christmas goes up the day after Thanksgiving here.

Christmas stuff was out at Hobby Lobby before July 4th! I've been seeing Halloween goods for a solid month already. . . it's probably what made me think of it.

I prefer to be with a month of the holiday (usually 3 weeks) so Halloween decorations will not go up until October. Thanksgiving is not something I care to decorate for - putting out decorative turkeys makes me kind of uncomfortable, like when I eat I steak I should decorate my house with joyful cows.

Christmas starts in December for me. My birthday is 12/12 so I like to decorate around that time. As someone raised russian orthodox, I grew up celebrating Christmas on January 7th so we leave our decorations up until then, so the 12th puts us around a month of having out decorations.

Lol! Not all Thanksgiving decor is turkey's ;)
I actually end up decorating for Thanksgiving early because some of the Halloween decor works for both holidays. The harvest type decor.

Christmas stuff was out at Hobby Lobby before July 4th! I've been seeing Halloween goods for a solid month already. . . it's probably what made me think of it.

i've been doing less halloween decor as the kids get older, usually early october. somebody stole my favorite big skeleton last year.

i put pumpkins out when i start to see them at the market, i love fall decor. so i guess that could be any time.

I do too!! I can't stop buying the novelty pumpkins when Central Market gets them. DH loves Halloween so we decorate for it more than I probably would otherwise.

Fall decor goes up just after Labor Day, Halloween stuff around the second week of October. Thanksgiving stuff around the second week of November, Christmas stuff goes up the weekend after Thanksgiving.

We only decorate for Christmas - and not very much. Christmas tree goes up maybe a week or two before Christmas.
May have something to do with not having kids.

This will be the first time I've lived in my own place for Christmas. I will probably only get a small tree and put it up some time during novemeber, as soon as there is enough stuff in the stores for me to be able to put a full tree together.