How Easy to Store/Access Items In/Out of A Kelly

The Kelly was originally designed as a saddle-carrier. So, in terms of construction, it can hold a fair bit. The minimized version of the saddle carrier that we know nowadays as the Kelly still has the construction. I do agree with you though in that I would be uncomfortable with a 35 or 40 Kelly as I would feel that I cannot put 'bricks' into it. However: these bags are very, very, very durable and hardy, so if you're looking for a purse, they will be great and hold a ton of stuff that ladies like to carry around. If you are looking for a tote to shlep the Encyclopaedia Britannica in, then the Birkin might be the better choice IMO.

It takes a little getting used to but then it's a snap! I tend to go lighter when I carry my Kelly's than when I carry HAC and Birkin though....

I saw a woman opening her Kelly by holding the base of the bag upright in the palm of her hand and reaching in with the other hand. I guess it is the only way if one does not have any place to set it down. It appeared it was very easily maneuvered!

I saw a woman opening her Kelly by holding the base of the bag upright in the palm of her hand and reaching in with the other hand. I guess it is the only way if one does not have any place to set it down. It appeared it was very easily maneuvered!

I do that all the time too. Also you can use the shoulder strap during shopping. I have gotten so used to my Kellys. I find togo/retourne easier to get in and out of than box/retourne. Sellier is the harder in my opinion.

i was practicing with both my kellys this afternoon. i have a 28evergrain and 35vacheliegee... it's easier to get in and out of the 28. i don't know if it's b/c of the size or the leather. but what i did was leave the straps open underneath the flap, and twistlocked the flap only, so i had quick access to my stuff within.

i don't own a birkin yet, but i too worry about the openness with me running around with my kids and not paying attention to my bag, someone might swipe my wallet. which is why i went for the kelly... now my eyes are on a bolide b/c of the zipped closure.

I have said it before and I will say it again...

the Kelly is elegant, but it is a "take your time kind of bag". You can't get it in and out fast. It is as if you need to enjoy the bag when you use it. The birkin would be the better option if you want quick access all the time. I do not like to leave my Kelly opened...I feel it stresses the top of the bag.

I do love Kellys though....you just have to be willing to use them with care and take your time...you know...slow the pace of your life down a bit!

I totally agree. The kelly really isn't harder to open than, say, a spy bag or a Chanel 2.55. I personally prefer closed bags where people can't look down and see what I've got inside my bag (when I have a birkin I will throw a pashmina on top to "conceal" the contents and to use when I'm cold).

^^ this is so true. I find the retourne more casual than the sellier, and it's the retourne construction that opens up the top automatically anyway. I love the sellier because I know the shape will hold up so much better. I do choose to use the retourne or the sellier according to the nature of my outings for that day.