How early do you buy your birthday presents?

Nowadays I just buy pretty what I like whenever. But if a big purchase happens just shortly before my birthday, like a new Birkin or something, I keep it until my birthday to open and use it, as some sort of birthday present. :smile:
Wow, you have a lot more patience then I do. If I kept a Birkin or any huge purchase closed for so long, I would die of suspense.

Reactions: ColdSteel
Wow, you have a lot more patience then I do. If I kept a Birkin or any huge purchase closed for so long, I would die of suspense.
When I bought my very first birkin about 10 years ago, I couldn't keep my hands/eyes off it! I have since built a fair collection of them so I am not "needing another bag now" mentality any more. I have waited between several months to 3 years for my special order bags, so waiting for another few week before using it isn't much of a bigger deal. I would have seen it when I bought it so I know what it looks like. I find opening the box again and starting to use it on a milestone day helps me to appreciate it more. :smile:

Reactions: Ammrx and ColdSteel
If I'm buying a gift for someone else, I usually get it within a 1 week period (before/after) of the birthday date. Gift-giving is how I express love so, I put a fair bit of effort into picking presents and trying to keep the presents as "on trend" and personalized as possible for the birthday person.

If I'm treating myself for my own birthday, everything bought in the birthday month is rationalized as "but it's my birthday".

I've bought some gifts months in advance because sometimes something is a one-of-a-kind or a one time deal. I've been lucky enough to not gift anyone something they bought themselves so far. I love giving big surprises.

My presents? I feel justified at least a month in advance (you know, like an extended presale, duh) for the same reasons. I also just bought myself a pre-loved Balenciaga moto jacket (my dream jacket since I must have been 17!) and told myself it's part of my birthday present (September) and a 10-year separation (one decade of freedom!) gift.

I really don't mind waiting. I've waited for some very special gifts before and it's made the reveal more special, even if it was a Mon Mono/World Tour I'd designed myself. Even though I had designed it and knew exactly what I was getting it was still a big moment!

However, I just returned from French Polynesia and knew I couldn't wait to give Mama Steel the pearls I'd picked out for her. I didn't want to give only the earrings or only the pendant, either. I was just too excited to wait another month for her birthday!

Heck, yes! What’s wrong with buying a gift in advance and thinking about something special? It’s never too early for a perfect gift! Besides, if you think about a gift a little bit earlier, it means that the gift recipient is going to get something extraordinary. I usually think of a gift at the very last moment. The most common gift my friends receive is a gift basket. Gladly, now there’s a wide variety of gift baskets, and you can still make an individualized gift.

Just bought mine yesterday (a month) before my birthday :biggrin: my birthday next year january :P will buy another birthday pressie for myself again i guess next month!

I guess we should have pre-birthday pressie, on the day itself and post-bday pressie :heart: