How du you store/take care of your MK bags?

Jul 9, 2014
Just wondering/hoping for a good tip;).

My bags are all saffiano leather, and I read somewhere that they are not to be treated with anything. Is that correct?

I store my Jet Set totes in an upright position with a pillow inside, and the handles are in an upright position as well ( read that the handles get bent if the bag is stored hanging up.

My Hamiltons are stored laying down so the weight of the lock doesn't pull the leather down. They are also filled with the MK paperstuffing they came with, and stored in the dustbag they came with. I do so each time I've used them.

How do you store your bags?

Last edited:
I keep all my bags stuffed with the original paper they came stuffed with and I store them upright in my closet. I also keep them all in their dust bags. I keep my Hamiltons upright and haven't had any issues so far. My selma's I store with the handles up because I started to see handle imprints when I had them stored with the handles down

Thanks for the handle tip! May I ask how long you have had your Hamilton bags? They do take up quite a bit of space laying down, so if you have done so over time with your bags and they're okey, then maby I should do so with mine?

I store my Selma's with the handles up and wrap a ribbon around them to prevent imprints on my bags. I also keep the stuffing inside and store them in their dust bags. My Hamilton I store it the same way. Since the lock is so heavy it has created a small crease across the front so I'm going to try storing it laying down and see how that goes.

When a bag is being rotated out of service I'll clean/guard it (MK's cleaner/conditioner and stain guard) before allowing it to air dry, then stuff with a pillow and place in its dust bag. I store my bags upright with handles at the side (shoulder straps detached, wrapped/curled, and placed inside the bag) in an area that lets plenty of fresh air circulate (but out of direct sunlight)...this prevents a musty/stale odour from developing and any potential mould growth (especially in humid climates).

With a Hamilton, just remove the lock and place inside the bag and store upright like usual

Last edited:
I store all of my structured bags upright in The Container Store linen sweater boxes. Because they are in a protective linen box with a see-through front, I don't need to put them in their dustbags and can see each one at a glance. I fold the dustbag and put it inside the bag. If the bag is small enough, I'll try to store it with the handles up in the linen box. I've noticed with my Selmas that when the handles are down they make an indentation on the side of the bag. I stuff my bags with the original paper from when I bought them. For my Hamiltons, I take the locks off and store them in the internal cell phone pocket of the bag. If I remember, for bags with removable shoulder straps, I also take those off and store them in the bag, as well.

For my unstructured bags, I store them on their sides in The Container Store linen sweater boxes and follow the same process as above. I only use leather cleaner (as needed) and conditioner (once a season) on my saffiano bags. For regular or untreated leather, I'll also use stain and rain repellant once a season.

Hi I have a question have any of your hamilton saffiano totes gotten like this? I haven't had my bag for a year and I was wondering if maybe it got like this because I didn't store it right?
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1411530640.964235.jpg

Maybe it was the lock, sucks because I really wanted it to still have that firm look now it slouches to the side.
Did you stuff it while it was stored? My experience is that you really have to keep the bag stuffed when not in use. Also, the lock does add weight that could cause waviness at the top when stored upright. The waviness at the bottom would be caused by lack of support/stuffing when stored. If it becomes a real problem, you should start storing it lying flat without the lock.

Did you stuff it while it was stored? My experience is that you really have to keep the bag stuffed when not in use. Also, the lock does add weight that could cause waviness at the top when stored upright. The waviness at the bottom would be caused by lack of support/stuffing when stored. If it becomes a real problem, you should start storing it lying flat without the lock.

This was the first purse I got from mk so I didn't really know how to take care of it I didn't take off the lock when I stored it and I also didn't stuff it