How dressy is Chanel classic flap?

Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. My DH and I are going to the opera in Feb. I am probably going to wear this really cute cocktail-length dress made of a sort of light taupe satiny fabric covered with black lace, with a black satin cumberbund-type sash thingy under the bosom, sort of empire-style. It is sleeveless but not spaghetti straps or anything. I am thinking of buying either Stuart Weitzman or (!!!) Christian Louboutin pumps to wear with it. I am hoping to get a Chanel flap for Xmas. If I do, and if it's black (DH insists on picking out the color), do you think it would be OK to carry with this ensemble? Or should I stick with a small evening bag?

TIA!!

2. I would have to see the shoes. It would be nice to see a pic of the dress, but I think I have a good visualization of that.

With out all that, my guess an evening bag would be better than a chanel flap... if you are going for the whole pretty woman richard gere/julia roberts thing.

it's quirky but the bejewelled animals from the judith leiber line seem more appropriate for opera than a regular flap. but if you are in a more trendy city where people dress in purple w/bronze irridesance, exotic animal pants jsut as easily they would a dress to the opera tahn a flap would be okay.

I am no bag expert. I have included pics so you can get an idea of waht I am talking about.

chanel_2.55_metallic_alligator_bag.jpg leiber-tut.jpg other judith.jpg
  3. P.s. I am not suggesting colors/patterns are appropriate for your dress. I just wanted to show you what I was thinking.

4. I think it would depend on the size. A small flap could pass as an evening. But generally, evening bags are small, so maybe a clutch or small wrist size.

5. What about one of the lovely Chanel clutches?

6. As your dress has a black lace overlay and is sleeveless, I would definitely go with a fairly plain black clutch bag (or a bag that you can hold in your hand, as you would a clutch).

So, I would say that your Classic Flap, held like a clutch, would be perfect - as long as it's not too big. :yes:

7. I was thinking, what about getting a 2.55, instead (or as well! ;) )?

As that looks really good carried as a clutch. :yes:

8. Thanks all! I want a jumbo flap so that's out as an evening bag. I didn't think it would be a good option, just wanted to see what y'all thought.

Switzerland, those Judith Leiber bags are TDF but for that kind of money I would rather get a Louis Vuitton aumoniere, though I see elux is now out of the black ones....

9. You can take a Chanel flap, or a bag that looks like one, absolutely anywhere. That is why it has been such a popular style ever since it dropped, so long ago!

10. You thinK? I trust your advice, you are so wise! I guess I will just try it (when I get it) with the dress and see how I feel about it. I have never been too much of a slave to fashion "rules" , anyway.

11. ^ Yeah I say why not try it?

12. It's funny that you mention the prices of the Judith Leiber. I feel as though I could feed a small village or something with that dough. I remember as a kid, my mother and I went to the Waldorf Astoria just to look at the interior. We went into a boutique that sold Leiber bags. I saw a monkey that I thought was cute. However, my mother couldn't afford it. I think it was about 1200. Maybe it could have been an investment piece sold to a musuem or collector or something for 5k now.

When I am more comfortable financially, I will invest in a piece and probably have it on display at my mansion. Maybe I will get a rotating table or something. But for the near future, my first bag of worth will probably be in the 250 range.

p.s. I agree with the others that if the flap is small enough, you can wear it with your dress. I understand what you mean by liking bags of a bigger size - so please note I am being slightly hypocritical here. Since you want to have a flap not just for the opera, then a small wrislet/clutch would be better for that one event.

13. madamefifi, you have honored me! Thank you! And let me add that others have offered you some very sound advice - size does matter. ;) If the jumbo ones are too jumbo, then take an Original Recipe size one (or charming facsimile)** - with you to the opera!

** My NotChanels have a rhinestone X on the clasp, which makes them very adaptable to evening events.