How does paypal determine who is lying?

jaug

Mar 26, 2010
Sold something on ebay and buyer claimed item was damaged during transportation. Buyer refused to send a photo of the damaged item which I need for insurance claim. Without any proof from the buyer, paypal was in favor of the buyer and now I have to fully refund the buyer and eat the loss. I am just wondering how the hell does paypal determine who is honest and who is lying?

Honestly I cannot answer your question, but it seems to me the buyer is usually always favored.

I think these places like ebay and Paypal feel sellers will always be there (and they are, aren't they?), but buyers might not, so they tend to favor the buyer.

I don't think they really can. When they say they are reviewing a csae I think they are really just sitting on it or acting like they are inverstigating it. Unfortunantly for sellers it is a buyers world.

What seems to be unfair if that an item is damaged, why would this buyer not

want the seller to be reimbursed? The item was insured and usps or ups needs
to be able to inspect the package before they would settle the claim..

Sold something on ebay and buyer claimed item was damaged during transportation. Buyer refused to send a photo of the damaged item which I need for insurance claim. Without any proof from the buyer, paypal was in favor of the buyer and now I have to fully refund the buyer and eat the loss. I am just wondering how the hell does paypal determine who is honest and who is lying?

The item should get returned to you. Once you get the item back, I would think you could file an insurance claim.

What seems to be unfair if that an item is damaged, why would this buyer not

want the seller to be reimbursed? The item was insured and usps or ups needs
to be able to inspect the package before they would settle the claim..

To me, buyer just want free item (it's a bottle of perfume) and dare not document the damage because there was no damage at all. I received an empty bottle and I can not file insurance claim since the buyer was not cooperative and refused to provide the "damaged box". How could I file the claim with just an undamaged empty bottle?

I totally agree that paypal do no investigation at all and favor buyer 99.9999% of the time.

sorry about that situation... hopefully you can get the buyer to work with you and send pic so you can get an insurance claim initiated thru the delivery service you used.

The way I see things...

buyer claims damage but will not provide pictures opens a case and paypal sides with them they get a free bottle of perfume and you are out the money

OR

buyer claims damage opens a case you reply "will issue full refund when item is returned"
you are still out the money but you have the item back.

How did you ship it? When you shipped it, did you tell the post office it was perfume?

I've read about spray-type bottles completely emptying if shipped via air. Perfumes are on the USPS's hazardous materials list and have shipping restrictions. I'm kind of surprised they would even insure it.

Edited to add my point: :smile: Depending on how you shipped it, it is possible that it was emptied or damaged during shipping.

how did the bottle become empty if not broken??

That's the same thing I am eager to know if the buyer was honest. Paypal doesn't give a sh*t about this question. All paypal want is seller refund and buyer return.

It's shipped via USPS priority mail with private insurance. I have shipped dozens of perfumes this way without any problem.

Yes, I did get the item back which is an EMPTY WORTHLESS bottle.

Perhaps the buyer ran out of her perfume and sent you her empty one. I would take pics of the empty bottle she sent back and call paypal to see if they would reopen the case. I would keep calling until I found someone at paypal to help me.