How does one store Chanel clothes

Francesca1234

Aug 15, 2008
I just purchased a chanel skirt and jacket. Any tips on how to store them properly. What kind of hangers are best? What to do to prevent mold/mildew and moths?

Should they be kept in garment bags?

Any tips would be appreciated.

I just purchased a chanel skirt and jacket. Any tips on how to store them properly. What kind of hangers are best? What to do to prevent mold/mildew and moths?

Should they be kept in garment bags?

Any tips would be appreciated.
Just spotted this.
I have always been concerned by how to store such classic pieces.
I tend to keep all my favourite pieces on their original hangers in breathable dust covers.
Then place a round cedar block on the top of the hanger.
Lastly I spray lavender water on the outside of the dust cover as moths hate the scent .
:biggrin:

^i just got a few things back from the cleaners. If there are buttons or decorations on the item, ask the cleaner to cover them. Always use a reputable drycleaning service and it should be fine. I've never had any problems. GL

As for storage, I just hang them in my cedar closet, or in the case of sweaters, I keep them folded in cedar drawers. I try not to keep things in garment bags since I heard that could do more harm to your clothes (and encourage moths, etc) and accessories. But I do have some pieces in breathable garment bags that are too precious or not often used--such as my formal gowns-- to be hanging out with the rest of the stuff.

Just spotted this.
I have always been concerned by how to store such classic pieces.
I tend to keep all my favourite pieces on their original hangers in breathable dust covers.
Then place a round cedar block on the top of the hanger.
Lastly I spray lavender water on the outside of the dust cover as moths hate the scent .
:biggrin:

thanks I will keep them in a storage cover, but I will ask what to put in them to avoid moths. Great idea. thanks

Great topic. I hang my designer clothes on their hangers in garment bags, or fold them if needed and lay them in drawers. If there are things that I don't intend to use for many months I clean and store them. For example, I recently had an evening gown cleaned and requested the cleaner to fold it and bag it instead of hanging. Another example like a designer sweater, I fold it gently and put it in one of those space bags and suck some of the air out (not too tight, don't want to damage the clothes) so I know it is sealed and moths can't get to it. Be sure to clean anything that you plan to put away for several months.

Unfortunately if you do some research you will find that lavender and cedar do not actually deter moths. The only thing that really keeps them away is moth balls which are highly toxic and don't smell so nice. The best way to keep them out of your clothes is to keep the clothes clean or have a physical barrier that is sealed. Moths do not really eat clothing, what they are trying to eat are hairs, sweat, skin particles or spots of food that are on the clothes (super gross), but they eat some of the clothes along with it. Twice a year I remove the clothes from my closet, clean the shelves and floors well, then spray the closet with an organic flying insect spray. I let the closet air out, then put stuff back in. This seems to be working thus far.

I keep designer sweaters in seal tight containers. I air them once and a while. I keep dresses and coats in breathable garment bags with cedar blocks. I would only take my items to a high end cleaner. they will either remove or cover buttons. I also vacuum and keep my closet very clean.