How does Infodog.com or Dog Shows Work

randr21

in the untamed rabbit hole
O.G.
May 25, 2006
Any dog show experts or breeders here?

I'm trying to find a dog show or dog agility/herding test to take my dog to. My breeder had suggested infodog.com when I first got my corgi from her, but I have no idea how to use the site. I'm trying to find the closest shows near me, which means NY, NJ and CT. I think the Pembroke Welsh Corgi Club of Garden State is having one on 9/6. Do these events allow non competition dogs to attend? What's the protocol? TIA.

click on show information in the top left corner. then search by state. you can't take an unregistered dog to show. you have to be registered in the club (akc, agility clubs, etc) to enter. there's also a deadline by which you have to enter. also, there's a fee.

without having any experience in how to show a dog, i wouldn't bother with conformation shows. the breeder would have also to have sold you a "show quality" puppy which generally means you HAVE to show the dog.

as for agility/herding, you also can't just show up without any knowledge of the sports. agility requires quite a bit of training before you can compete as does herding. if your really interested in doing those things, try searching for a training club in your area. they can best tell you about the sport and help you train for it.

thanks gymangel. I actually didn't want to show my dog, just wanted to bring him to see and meet some other dogs of his kind only, and I didn't know if this was the proper event for that.

the question about info dog is how do you know if a particular breed is showing in your state? do you go by the "club name" which sometimes do and do not contain the breed name?

lastly, the pembroke welsh corgi club of garden state seems to be participating on a 9/6 event in NJ. Does that mean I can't bring my dog as a viewer only? It'd be nice to know before I drive the 3 hours.

thanks gymangel. I actually didn't want to show my dog, just wanted to bring him to see and meet some other dogs of his kind only, and I didn't know if this was the proper event for that.

the question about info dog is how do you know if a particular breed is showing in your state? do you go by the "club name" which sometimes do and do not contain the breed name?

lastly, the pembroke welsh corgi club of garden state seems to be participating on a 9/6 event in NJ. Does that mean I can't bring my dog as a viewer only? It'd be nice to know before I drive the 3 hours.

only showing dogs can go to a dog show so you can't take your own dog. i don't think i'd worry about dogs of the same breeds being together, dogs don't really notice breeds. if you want to take your dog to be with other dogs, take it to a dog park.

if the show says "AB" next to it, it means all akc breeds are showing and you would be able to see your breed at some point (there's usually a schedule when you click on the show). if a corgi club is having a show, then it should be only corgis.

On infodog click on the states you want. Find the shows then click on past results and you can see how many dogs of your breed were entered in that show last year. It will probably be about the same this year. You can also try Onofrio for shows.
You could try entering in a rally, often a good place to start if you aren't going for conformation. If it was sold to you as a show dog, practice walking and standing on the table an give it a shot. If the dog is good enough, even inexperienced handlers often win.