How does discontinuation affect resale value?

ohmeohmyLV

Jun 2, 2012
Hi all,

I have a Delightful GM that is being discontinued. I am relatively new to LV and have seen that with price increases, it looks like sometimes you can resale some bags for nearly the price you paid, given a few years. For instance, I just got the Trevi for $2090 (i believe) but when it came out, it was around $1400. A preloved in good shape goes for around 14 or 1500 now.

With the Delightful GM being discontinued, how will that affect my resale in a few years should I need to sell? Just wondering if I should sell sooner than later. I never use this bag.

ETA: Reminder about public selling/buying/trading is not permitted here.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my experience, bags that have been recently discontinued and are still fairly new can sell quickly for a good price. However, most of the bags I've sold that had been discontinued for a while did not sell at a good price and I lost quite a bit of money. Limited edition items, on the other hand, can hold their value long after being discontinued. The mirage speedy is a perfect example of this, as they are still selling for more than their original retail (which I believe was in the $1500 price range). My advice would be to sell it now if it's fairly new and you're not using it.

In my experience, bags that have been recently discontinued and are still fairly new can sell quickly for a good price. However, most of the bags I've sold that had been discontinued for a while did not sell at a good price and I lost quite a bit of money. Limited edition items, on the other hand, can hold their value long after being discontinued. The mirage speedy is a perfect example of this, as they are still selling for more than their original retail (which I believe was in the $1500 price range). My advice would be to sell it now if it's fairly new and you're not using it.

^ agree!
I recently bought a roses speedy and paid more than the original price due to it being discontinued and LE. I think the more time that passes people tend to forget about the style and want newer styles that came out. I think if you sell it closer to the discontinuation, there stll is higher demand and you can get a higher price...

I just bought a Delightful GM not because this was discontinuing but I have been eyeing the bag for awhile. I buy what I like. I don't really think about the resale value.

But I think all buyers who are buying a used LV is always looking for a deal. I have consistently read in other threads that they wouldn't buy a LV unless the price was at least 40% below retail for a pre-loved. Maybe discontinues lose more, not sure. I don't know of any buyer who wants to pay full retail for any bag, unless it was LE in good condition.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have a Delightful GM that is being discontinued. I am relatively new to LV and have seen that with price increases, it looks like sometimes you can resale some bags for nearly the price you paid, given a few years. For instance, I just got the Trevi for $2090 (i believe) but when it came out, it was around $1400. A preloved in good shape goes for around 14 or 1500 now.

With the Delightful GM being discontinued, how will that affect my resale in a few years should I need to sell? Just wondering if I should sell sooner than later. I never use this bag.

I just purchased the Delightful GM over Christmas (I exchanged a gifted Neverfull for it). I had no idea it was being discontinued. Does someone mind filling me in on why and when this decision was made? I am starting to get concerned... I thought the delightful line was only launched a few years ago, correct me if I am wrong...

I just purchased the Delightful GM over Christmas (I exchanged a gifted Neverfull for it). I had no idea it was being discontinued. Does someone mind filling me in on why and when this decision was made? I am starting to get concerned... I thought the delightful line was only launched a few years ago, correct me if I am wrong...

Only the GM is being discontinued. Not sure why but LV is discontinuing a lot of there GM bags.. And yes the Delightful came out in 2010.

Markxmikesmom said:
Only the GM is being discontinued. Not sure why but LV is discontinuing a lot of there GM bags.. And yes the Delightful came out in 2010.

My SA said the GM size in most bags don't sell very well. It was interesting feedback...

LoVeinLA said:
I just bought a Delightful GM not because this was discontinuing but I have been eyeing the bag for awhile. I buy what I like. I don't really think about the resale value.

But I think all buyers who are buying a used LV is always looking for a deal. I have consistently read in other threads that they wouldn't buy a LV unless the price was at least 40% below retail for a pre-loved. Maybe discontinues lose more, not sure. I don't know of any buyer who wants to pay full retail for any bag, unless it was LE in good condition.

I think the only way for me to justify the cost is to consider it as an investment in a sense. Not to make money, just not lose as much.

ohmeohmyLV said:
I think the only way for me to justify the cost is to consider it as an investment in a sense. Not to make money, just not lose as much.

The only way you won't lose much is by buying LE or pre-loved. Pre-loved bags always sell for around the same amount. So you can buy and re-sell without any loss at all really.

A non-LE LV bag is not reasonably to be thought of as an investment just because it gets discontinued. Think of the large Bucket, or the Ellipse, or any others that have met this fate...they did tank in the resale market.

jellyv said:
A non-LE LV bag is not reasonably to be thought of as an investment just because it gets discontinued. Think of the large Bucket, or the Ellipse, or any others that have met this fate...they did tank in the resale market.

This makes perfect sense.