how does City fare if you don't carry much?

mutt lover

O.G.
Feb 2, 2010
I am coveting a City and planning it for my first B-bag (probably Anthra RH), but wondering if it matters if you don't carry much around.

I ask because my current bag is an LV Speedy (25) and this is a big issue with Speedies - if your Speedy isn't very full, it sags more, which may be a good or bad thing depending on whether you like the "Speedy sag".

I would think because the City is such soft leather and sort of slouchy anyway that it wouldn't really matter, but want to be sure! I typically only carry a wallet, sunglasses, blackberry, gum, small notebook and a few other very small items (chapstick type things), so could probably fit everything into a First, but I'm still leaning towards the City.

I don't carry a lot of stuff in my City and it slouches nicely. The leather is very soft and you will love it. If it is your first Bal, I'd suggest you to get the City which is a classic. The size is just perfect. You will get addicted to it and will venture into other styles and color later for sure! :amuse:

I would go for the city since you can carry a little or a lot and it looks great either way. I think the first is cute but it would be a bag I'd get at a later date. the city is perfect.

I don't carry much either ... just a Bal Money Wallet, Makeup Clutch, Coin Purse and maybe a few very small odds and ends. It's the perfect size for me, and I think it would work very well for you as well.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the advice and it sounds like the City is definitely the way to go for me! It would be nice to be able to throw a bottle of water or book in when I want to, which is something I can't do with my Speedy. I agree it's a different type of "sag" - I don't love sag in the Speedy, but I do like slouchiness in beautiful soft leather bags like Bal.

It's so strange, before I had visited them in person I looked at a million of the modeling photos on here, and I was absolutely convinced the City would be too big for me in person (I'm 5'4" and not generally an oversized bag fan), but when I saw them IRL it looked like the perfect size, and the Firsts, while I also liked them, seemed smaller than in the photos. Now looking at the photos again I can't believe it's the same bag. I think it just photographs weirdly sometimes!

Yea i was convinced of getting a first until i saw it IRL. So then i got the city and im super happy with it ever since. I actually got the Anthra RH 2009 and im loving it to pieces! + mine was super slouchy from the beginning and i just loved that!

The city is a great size. I expected it to be much bigger from the pictures on here until I saw it for the first time too.

I think that is because some of the ladies who have modelling shots are very petite. It looked bigger to me too from the photos. Then when I held it, it didn't seem as big, as I am not as petite. I'm 5'6" and about 130 lbs. and I think it doesn't look big at all on me.

The city is a perfect size for someone who doesn't carry around too much - because that left over space does allow for a little slouch, and the bag doesn't tend to look it's best when filled to the brim.

doesn't matter. i've carried an almost empty city before and it looks great.

^^^ also agree that the city looks best when it's not filled completely. the extra slouch is nice.