how do you WALK in your gorgeous (but painful!!!) louboutins?!?!??!?!

carlinha

O.G.
Jul 27, 2008
ok ladies

here is my question for you CL experts out there... how in the HELL do you walk in these shoes??? my problem is that i find them so stunning and sexy, i buy some pairs, find that they KILL me... i am hobbling in them after a few hours, with blisters and the skin at the back of my heels chafed and peeling, the soles of my feet burning.... that i have to sell them!!!

granted, i don't give them a chance to break in, after 1 day of pain, i just give up...

but do you all have tricks as to how to get past this?!??!?! just keep wearing them until they break in, no matter how agonizing? any pads or anything you put in your shoes?

please HELP! tell me any tricks you use. i wanna be able to keep my gorgeous CL's for more than a week!

thank you!

OMG - and I thought it was only me that had that problem!! I am dying to know as well, I only wear my Loubs out clubbing and that's maybe once every week or every other week, so I don't get much chance to 'break them in' :tdown:

In part, you just have to suffer through the pain - usually after the second wear I find my shoes to be pretty comfortable. To make it easier, you should definitely use some padding - I like full length foam insoles because they slide around less - the double cushion ones are especially comfy. Ball of foot pads may also help with the burning if you want something a little less obtrusive than a full insole. As far as blisters, I use Band Aid Blister Block - looks like a tiny little deodorant, sold in supermarkets in the section where Band Aids are. It protects against rubbing and really works - I put it all around my foot but especially on the back of my heels, where I also tend to have chafing problems. For blisters on the front of your feet, try moleskin - it comes in squares and you can cut them to the proper size. I often get blisters on my pinky toes, so when I'm wearing a new pair I wrap the moleskin around the problem areas and it really cuts down on rubbing. I hope that all of this helps you, and good luck!

Hm, I do just break them in by wearing, but I haven't had that much trouble. My Joli Noeud was a little tight, but I found that using the sock trick stretched them out enough. My Simples were too tight, but after wearing them a couple of times (not very long, either) they broke in (they were used and 1/2 a size too small for me, though). My velvet Clichy 120 has been fine. My Pigalle 100 was uncomfortable b/c they are so low-cut on the sides and my feet are rather wide, so no more of those for me.

If the backs of your heels are chafing that badly, you might consider wearing Band-Aids. There is also something called Blister Block, I think, that will help with that. Padded insoles might help the balls of your feet, but if they're high heels, there's not much you can do beyond a certain amount of time. If you do some leg-strengthening exercises, it will probably help.

Granted, I never walk very much in my Loubs and usually sit a lot in between.

oh dear...what CLs are you guys wearing that's that painful??? i think it really depends on the style...there are certain styles that are known to have specific pain-causing issues. like the rolandos. i try to do my research ahead of buying so i know exactly what styles are comfortable for feet like mine...like my feet aren't wide but i know they're too wide for the narrow toebox of rolandos. my toes are too long for the declics. and so on.

none of my CLs are anywhere near as painful as yours sound. here are some typical fixes i've used for the minor issues i've had - heel grips for heel slippage. moleskin for minor rubbing/friction. ball of feet pads for tall heels that kill em. and strappy strips from foot petals for slipping slingbacks. foot petals is a good brand. not really removeable, but a trusty companion for my CLs for sure.

I always just suck it up and deal with the pain. I wear mine around the house as much as I can to break them in, so that I can take them off if they are too uncomfortable. I also use moleskin, as jh4200 suggested, and am about to purchase some of the Band-Aid Blister Block thanks to the wonderful comments about it that I've seen here on tPF. Look at your feet a lot - that will make you remember why you torture yourself!

Does anyone else feel like a little kid with their mom's shoes on?

That is my biggest problem, I feel like I can't walk fast due to the steep angle of the shoes and that I need to keep my eyes peeled to the floor to make sure I don't trip. I wonder if I look silly, although it is probably all in my head (I hope). I also worry that my skinny heel will get caught in something. I work in the city (Chicago) and the sidewalks are very uneven.

The pain for me is nothing, my Iowa Zeppas hurt a little after walking 2 blocks but are fine when not walking too far. Also, many of my lower shoes hurt just as much.

here are some typical fixes i've used for the minor issues i've had - heel grips for heel slippage. moleskin for minor rubbing/friction. ball of feet pads for tall heels that kill em. and strappy strips from foot petals for slipping slingbacks. foot petals is a good brand. not really removeable, but a trusty companion for my CLs for sure.

that's a lotta add-on products for your louboutins. :weird:

Does anyone else feel like a little kid with their mom's shoes on?

That is my biggest problem, I feel like I can't walk fast due to the steep angle of the shoes and that I need to keep my eyes peeled to the floor to make sure I don't trip. I wonder if I look silly, although it is probably all in my head (I hope). I also worry that my skinny heel will get caught in something. I work in the city (Chicago) and the sidewalks are very uneven.

I believe that this is CL's intention. I'm trying to find the interview where he actually comments on this - something along the lines of women should walk slowly.

ETA - This is the closest article that I can find right now, but there is something else that I recently read that talked about women walking slowly and appreciating their surroundings, will try to locate it too:

From Telegraph.uk:
These influences have translated into some giddily high stilettos, with heels that can measure up to seven inches. Can they possibly be comfortable? 'It is important because I feel suffering to be beautiful doesn't make any sense,' says Louboutin. 'A shoe, it needs to be pretty, but you shouldn't suffer. Happiness is much nicer.' He adds that many of his designs have a hidden platform, so, though the heel may be seven inches, 'the reality is that you're perched on five inches. If you like high heels, then five inches you can walk in. People with a high arch are easily walking in them.'

I guess this explains why I find CLs so comfortable, I have a ridiculously high arch.

Last edited:
Another little tip I have is to sneak a trusty and cute pair of ballet pumps out with you - for those moments when you're out and you really can't take any more! There's nothing worse than cutting your night short (or ruining your night) if your feet are just so painful that you want to cry - so just whip out a pair of flats and swap shoes! I have a lovely little black embroidered pair which are still quite smart (no point ruining an outfit, right?) and I did it the other night - all my friends were so jealous of my comfy footwear at the end of the night waiting in the taxi queue. Knowing they're in your bag 'just in case' is also sometimes enough of a comfort as well!!