How Do You Tip When You Are Treated To Something On The House ?

1. How do you tip at a restaurant if you are treated to something on the house ? Do you still add the amount of free food or drinks to the total ?

Are there any other exceptable gestures that would show your appreciation ? Does it have to be money ?

2. I always add the free item on to the bill, just to show my thanks.

3. Yes I tip on comped food....I dont know how anywhere else is but in oregon the free food is still taxed by the state and the server is expected to report a tip on it.

4. I tip the total amount of everything served. Does that make sense?

5. I would definitely tip on the full value of the food/drinks.

6. Tip on full value.

7. ^^ That's the words I was looking for, full value.

8. It depends, if I'm given a coupon, let's say a buy one get one free, then I would tip based on the amount my meal would have been. If I am given something by the server, let's say a free glass of wine, then I tip on the bill plus 1/2 the amount of the free item.

9. i always tip on the full amount, plus probably a few dollars extra for the waiter, if he's the one that arranged the free stuff.

10. Me, too. And, having been a waitress in my youth, I know it is appreciated.:yes:

11. I regularly go to this fabulous sushi place where for some reason the owner just adores me. He always sends out a really nice dish for free. Obviously, I can't tip the owner, but I always tip the waitresses the full amount for the dish on top of the 20% of what we ordered.

12. I normally tip the cost of the meal.

13. I normally tip the cost of the meal + the equivalent of the item given for free...that way it goes into the waiter/waitress's wallet instead of the restaurants!

14. Yep thats what I do. If you dont, thats just tacky IMO!!!!

15. i usually leave half to all the price of the free item in addition to the standard 20+ percent of the bill total. i figure i was going to spend that money anyway...this way the server has a nice night too. :smile:

most people add the free item on their bill and tip on the total. :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice