How do you return an item?

melanierez

O.G.
Apr 9, 2007
I recently purchased what I thought was an authentic Fendi chef bag, but I didn't realize that it was missing the hologram on the bag of the tag to determine authenticity. While there were many pictures in the ebay auction, the seller had not posted a picture of the hologram, and she was unable to post one before the auction ended but guaranteed authenticity. The seller had 100% feedback since 1999, so I took my chances without all of the necessary pictures. When I contacted the seller, I told her that I had the bag authenticated on a purse forum, and they said that it shoud have a hologram on the back of the label, but the hologram was missing. She responded and told me to send back the bag and she will refund my money, but she asked for the name of the purse forum.

My questions are:
1. Do I send back the bag first and then wait for my money, but then I have no record of this transacation, or do I ask her to refund my money to paypal first, and then I will return the bag? I don't know what the normal procedure is for this type of thing.

2. Do I give her the name of this site and show her the posting where I posted my auction?

Thanks for any help!

My answer to both your questions would be Yes.

I honestly don't think it's a bad thing to tell her about tPF, this way, she can come here for herself, and see with her own eyes that tPF is a legitimate place for authenticating—not a bunch of bored housewives sitting around polishing their Louis Vuitton's and talking about it.

Also, if she is telling you it's OK to ship the bag back for a full refund, then do it. Make sure, however, that you pay a little extra for that delivery/signature confirmation and of course, insurance. This way, if something goes awry, you have a tracking # as well as delivery confirmation # to provide.

My answer to both your questions would be Yes.

I honestly don't think it's a bad thing to tell her about tPF, this way, she can come here for herself, and see with her own eyes that tPF is a legitimate place for authenticating—not a bunch of bored housewives sitting around polishing their Louis Vuitton's and talking about it.

Also, if she is telling you it's OK to ship the bag back for a full refund, then do it. Make sure, however, that you pay a little extra for that delivery/signature confirmation and of course, insurance. This way, if something goes awry, you have a tracking # as well as delivery confirmation # to provide.

Yes, you need get signature confirmation!

Just to clarify- send back the bag and wait for my money,or ask her to paypal me first and then send back the bag?

I don't know of any seller who would refund you your money BEFORE they receive the return. It's common practice to ship the item back first, and then receive the refund. Just like if you were to return something to a store. They won't give you a refund until you bring the item back.

That being said, just ship it back and once she receives it, she should immediately refund you. That's why it's imperative to get a signature/delivery confirmation with insurance, so she can't lie and say she never received it, etc. thus resulting in no money or bag for you.

Yea, it is not typical to get your money back first before you ship. Are you just working this out with the seller or did you open a SNAD with Paypal.

TAKE LOTS OF PICS BEFORE YOU SEND THE BAG BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know of any seller who would refund you your money BEFORE they receive the return. That being said, just ship it back and once she receives it, she should immediately refund you. That's why it's imperative to get a signature/delivery confirmation with insurance, so she can't lie and say she never received it, etc. thus resulting in no money or bag for you.

While this is backwards, if she knows it is fake what is she suppose to insure it for?

Insure it for what she paid. This way, if it gets lost, she could recover the money that she paid out to begin with.

No I realize that, but it just seems wierd to insure a back for the full value that you know it isn't worth.

Just my $0.02 send it UPS or FedEx and not USPS since it is technically illegal to mail a fake bag. PLUS at least you can really "track" it then. I have two packages mailed Wednesday that SHOULD have been delivered tomorrow that still say "shipper info received" for USPS

Last edited:
Hey ladies! Great advice from you both, as always. One thing: it is my understanding, based on some legal mumbo jumbo that someone posted a few weeks ago, that it is NOT illegal to mail a fake bag when you are not the seller. What do you gals know about this?

Thanks you so much for all of the suggestions. I never would have thought to take pictures of the bag, and I can easily send it FedEx with delivery confirmation. The seller seemed surprised the bag was not authentic, and she immediately agreed to refund my money. She also wanted to know about the purse site I mentioned in my e-mail that authenticated the bag, so I am going to refer her to The Purse Forum. Do you think that's a good idea or not?

What do I do about her feedback? She's being very cooperative, and I'm hoping that she was just unaware that she sold a fake bag. However, I purchased the bag from her because of her 100% feedback, and I assumed that she verified the authenticity of the bag.

Unfortunately, chances are you're not the only one she's sold a fake to because, apparently, she doesn't get bags authenticated before she purchases them herself. I would leave an honest (and kind) feedback--what I would like to see if I were a buyer considering one of her bags. She's being nice so I wouldn't leave a Negative. I would leave a Neutral or Positive with a comment specifying the bag was fake yet noting that the seller was easy to work with and refunded your money as soon as she found out. But what I would do is not necessarily what you would do, so I think it would be best for you to do what feels right to you.

What do I do about her feedback? She's being very cooperative, and I'm hoping that she was just unaware that she sold a fake bag. However, I purchased the bag from her because of her 100% feedback, and I assumed that she verified the authenticity of the bag.

Do NOT leave her feedback until she receives the bag and she gives you your refund. If you do it beforehand, you could get screwed.