How do you remove gum from basketweave leather?

knasarae

The K Is Silent
O.G.
Apr 23, 2007
:crybaby: I traveled with my BBW/gunmetal MAM this weekend. I am very good about not putting it on the floor so it must've happened last night when I put my bag under the seat on the plane. I am so upset and livid with myself for being so careless. I got home really late last night. I just discovered it on a break from class.

What can I do? If I can't get it off I guess I will email LMB. Anybody got an idea of the price for this? Is there anything I can try myself? Maybe a little Apple cleaner? I won't even be able to work on it til this evening. I can't believe this happened.

I have to go back to class now. Any suggestions are much appreciated. :cry:

Set it on an ice pack to freeze the gum and it should just come off, unless the gum's been rubbed into the leather. Still think getting it super cold would would do the trick - be careful and try to keep it cold/chilled... let us know how it turns out!!!

Thanks.... maybe I will grab piece of ice and try a bit during my lunch break.

Here's a photo of the remaining damage.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Gum.jpg
    Gum.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 263
Ice always does the trick for me too in removing gum. I've never tried it on leather, but if it works on fabric I would think it would on leather as well.

Good luck Miss Knas! If it were me I would try the ice thing first before I went to the pricier option of sending it off to LMB.

Well the good news is I got it off. There's just a bit of sticky residue left that I will get off with a little Apple cleaner on a q-tip.

The bad news is having the bag upside down drew my attention to a different spot where the bottom is coming loose from the piping. I'm emailing Nicole now to get a return lable so they can fix it. :sad:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Tear.jpg
    Tear.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 260
^Oy...the separation makes the gum issue look like nothing.

That's not good...I'm sure RM will fix it and it will be good as new, but it stinks that you have to give up a brand new bag for who knows how long.

oh knas....i am so happy you got the gum off but now the piping split??? that really stinks on a brand new bag....I hope RM fixes it for you quickly and you get it back soon....:hugs:

Thanks guys. I noticed the basketweave pattern is no longer as pronounced in the area where the gum was but it's not noticeable especially since it's the bottom. I can get over that. I just wish Nicole would email me back. I'm in class all week and only get little breaks here and there. I'd really like to get my bag sent in this week. :sad:

Hmmm...I wonder if the basketweave sort of constricted a bit from the ice, but if you give it some time it may pop back out as it warms up.

I hope you get a response from Nicole and a speedy fix on your bag. You especially have been extremely tolerant with RM over that SO by keeping your bag and coming up with your own fix for the zipper pulls.

As much as I love, love, love RM all these issues are really sad.