How do you protect yourself every day?

rainyjewels

eat me
O.G.
Nov 8, 2006
How do you protect yourself every day as you walk down the street, since something may happen at any time? I haven't thought about it much before, but I realize if I were walking down the street and someone attacked me or threatened me, I would be completely unprepared to respond. What would I do - throw my LV speedy at him? Hit him on the head with my huge wallet? Best thing I can think of is to kick him down there and hope my pointy-toe pumps make it extra painful...:Push:

Whenever I'm walking down the street (I'm in Queens, NY), I'm constantly catcalled and spoken to by strange men, so that I feel like a piece of meat walking amongst hungry vultures. It really creeps me out. I've been ordering out all the time because I don't want to go out! My roommate was raped last year, and experiencing all this attention on the street really made me feel like I need to be prepared. My question is - when you're walking down the street alone, how do you protect yourself? Have you taken defense classes? Mace (sp?)? Pepper spray? Enlighten me, please :yes:

You would be able to respond, that is what your "fight or flight" instinct is for. When I walk, I hold my handbag close to me and I observe the people and the situations around me. I try to ensure that I am never alone on a street, I don't go through allies for short cuts or any of that

I always have pepperspray in my jacket pocket. I keep my handbag close to me and I usually (because I drive everywhere I go) put my keys in between my fingers or at least hold my keys in case someone comes at me I can punch them.

I was a kickboxer when I was younger so I still have some moves :P but I try to carry my small can of pepperspray and my keys in between my fingers every where I go.

I always have pepperspray in my jacket pocket. I keep my handbag close to me and I usually (because I drive everywhere I go) put my keys in between my fingers or at least hold my keys in case someone comes at me I can punch them.

I was a kickboxer when I was younger so I still have some moves :P but I try to carry my small can of pepperspray and my keys in between my fingers every where I go.

I don't have a pepperspray but I always have my keys handy :biggrin:

I am more aware than ever before, but I think you could drive yourself crazy worrying about it, and it could potentially stop you from living your precious life.

I try now, to always atleast keep my carkeys in my pocket, not in my handbag, so that if I need to get into my car quickly, they are to hand, and also, if the worst came to the worst and my purse was snatched, I could still get home :sad:

I hate that we cannot come and go as we please, but its necessary to be overly cautious these days

I hear you! You are not paranoid!

I lived in San Francisco Bay Area for many years. I became very tired of not being able to walk outdoors after sunset, go to the supermarket before 9am or after 7pm, take public transportation outside of daylight hours, exit the mall after sunset, etc etc etc.

So I moved to Vancouver. Very low assault rate. Skytrain stations are dangerous. Downtown at night is dangerous. Hanging out with a jerk BF is dangerous. But everyday life is safe.

IMHO you could
*Move to a safer area
*Take a serious self protection class. "Model Mugging" is the Bay Area's best. Many of my GFs took it. MM teaches you how to fight - kick - scream -run if you are attacked. The instructors wear padded gear. They attack you and you respond. They grill you and drill you and make you repeat your good responses until you would do the moves in your sleep.

Like you, I love living in the city. In the US, that can be dangerous for a woman. Research your options.

Women represent over 50% of our population. It is ridiculous that we are treated so badly. Don't get me started.................

I try to be aware of the people and environment around me. If Im walking alone at night or in a shady part of town, I'm always ready to fight or run away.

I don't think self defence classes are entirely necssary, hit them where it hurts! Eye, groin, knees etc. According to this article I read, you're suppose to punch your attacker with your keys between your fingers, but the last thing you want to do when you're being attacked is waste time putting your keys between your fingers. Just poke out theri eyes with the keys instead!

i live in queens too! but my area is basically a suburban-ish area where after 8, everybody is home lol. i probably stay pretty alert esp. when i walk my dog. i make sure i am far enough from other people so that if i wanted to run i can. i also keep my cellphone on hand 24/7 and if i feel uneasy i call one of my friends who lives literally across the street from me so he can come to my aide. i would like to take self defense classes because they can come in handy but i hvent had time yet. my bosses always try to give me pepper spray if i leave work late lol.

I keep my handbag close to me and carry myself with confidence. If I don't know where I'm going, I act like I do. Head held high.

I always keep my keys in a jacket pocket and not in my bag. Like another poster stated, if my bag got stolen, at least they don't have my house keys.

I also don't live life in constant fear or paranoia. Knock on wood, I have never been attacked but I have been in a few very uncomfortable situations in my life where I felt I would be.

Well, I have never been attacked, but I do walk a lot by myself when I'm at school. There are a lot of people at certain times of the day, but not always.

I ALWAYS walk with confidence and make it look like I know where I'm going and that I belong.

I also always have my purse held tight and close to my body so it makes it very hard to snatch it from me.

I have pepper spray at the ready when I'm out at night. In the day time and night time, I always have my keys out before I leave the restaurant, school, train station, whatever.

Basically, God forbid anythings happens, but you have to be prepared. Don't act like your intimidated, but do make sure you always walk with confidence. I hate catcalling, so I definitely know how you feel, but ignore it to the best of your abilities. You can only be friendly to a certain extent to anyone. Never give out money or open up your wallet while walking. Also never listen to the ipod, mp3, or other sound devices.

Those are the rules I personally go by when I feel necessary. Stay safe.

I live in Texas. Guns and Mace, baby!!

Just kidding!!!!! I normally drive everywhere (poor public transportation here) but I live in a crappy (gentrifying) neighborhood. So I am extremely aware of my surroundings. I have an alarm system and keep the doors locked appropriately.

first, I never walk anywhere by myself at night.
second, if I do walk alone during the day, I take the advice a cop gave me:
I walk with a strong, deliberate stride, shoulders back, always looking up and around and looking everyone right in the eye.
I hold on to my shoulder bag.
If I don't have a bag, I walk with my arms slightly out like cops walk.
The key is to look aware and alert of your surroundings.

BTW - I was a crime victim when I was 24. Held up and kidnapped at gunpoint for an hour. Prayed like it was my last day on earth and God did take care of me cause here I am.

I don't walk alone at night.
When I walk during the day alone it's usually downtown where there are a ton of people.
I'm always keeping myself aware of my surroundings though.
When I come home after dark I look around as I pull in the driveway and get quickly to my door and have my key ready.
If I do go out at night I don't bring an expensive purse with me. The most I'll have is my LV wallet, if that. If I go to a bar and have pockets I don't bring a bag at all.
I know a few self defense things, like certain spots that are very sensitve on the body, but I've never taken a formal class. I'd like to though.