How do you pronounce Goyard?

No such thing as a stupid question here! I bet there have been so many views but no replies because, like me, they don't know either and were hoping the question had been answered.

I haven't heard the specific name pronounced, but with my inexpert college-level French I would say that it would accurately be pronounced Go-yar, as ilaughead says. The americanized pronunciation would be Go-yard, I guess, as mangowife's friend says it. The French tend not to pronounce consonants at the ends of words.

To have a hard d, I think it would have to have an e on the end, wouldn't it? :shrugs:

Then, I think it would be pronounced Goy-yah-de (like the phonetic 'd')... :blink:

I'm reaching back into my memory of high school and college French and I think you're right. In order for the "d" to be specifically pronounced there would have to be a letter following it.

I'd guess it would be pronounced goy - yah (with the "r" sort of swallowed up and the "d" silent). None of my friends are the least bit interested in handbags or fashion for that matter (:confused1: :confused1: :confused1:)so I've never heard it pronounced.

^
Thanks RowanOak! I sooooo loved French class and wish I had the opportunity to speak in that beautiful language. I confess, though, to eaves-dropping on other people's conversations when they speak in French!

So... if I wanted to say "Goyards" or "Goyard's", how would that be pronounced? "Goy-yahs" doesn't sound quite right... but I don't know much about the French language (wish I did!).