How do you pay for your purses???!!

I work full time and earn a pretty decent salary. Overall, we live pretty low on the hog and don't have a lot of expenses. Our house (and mortgage) are fairly small, both of our cars are old and paid for, and we're not extravagant in any other areas of our life except for our annual ski vacation. I've bought a lot of handbags in the last few months, but that's been instead of clothes, shoes, or other "splurge" items. I'm trying to hold off on spending any more for a while, but am on a waiting list for the Darel Charlotte and am probably going to get a white bag (Marc Jacobs Stella is currently at the top of my list) for spring/summer before the good ones are all gone.

i guess i'm just lucky enough to have my wonderful parents. my mom knows how much i love handbags, so whenever i want something i just drop little hints for her (haha, or have my sister do it for me). she'll even go through the trouble of having people track down things for me if they aren't that easy to get. but, sometimes i'll also buy some things myself (even though i guess it's still technically their money).

Kat said:
He's from a different generation, literally. I'm going to be 43 in February and he'll be 65 in March. (He is the same age as my mother and my father is only two years older than him...lol) Although there is a twenty-two year difference between us for the last 14 years he's been my best friend. We travel together, we have worked together, we shop together, we ride motorcycles together, we ski together ...blah, blah, blah.....

How wonderful is that! :nuts: I am glad that you two found each other, how sweet :love:

I forgot to answer the original question... I wait for extra money to come my way (Christmas, birthday, tax return, etc.), use Visa/AmEx gift cards I get for Christmas and sell on eBay to make extra cash :biggrin:

Kat said:
I have the good fortune of having a hubby that buys them for me without me ever having to ask. If he sees me looking at something he'll just take it to the counter and pay for it. Sometimes I have to stop him and insist that I really am not in love with it .. I was just looking! If I'm alone and see something I really love I'll buy it too! My husband loves shopping so we're usually together!

Wow, your husband is super generous seeing your huge bag collection ! :lol:

My bags are paid for by money which has accumulated through my own means, so working at the university or my summer job. It's at times like this that a SO would have come in really handy. ;)

I pay the bills here too! I'm a SAHM and DH makes a very comfortable living. BUT, I'm a smuggler! LOL! I tend to smugggle things in when he's not looking! I also try to soften the blow by saving my own little stash and paying half. I eBay A LOT and you wouldn't believe what people pay for children's clothes! I make back almost what I spend on my kids when I eBay their things!
So I deserve it right?
LMBO!

ALso, he has NO idea what my things cost!

same with me.....i begged my boyfriend when we were like 18 and i got me the LV MK agenda.......which i then returned for chanel glasses......but he's so against me bag-obsession and so unsupportive of my love for designer goods in general.......my parents still pay for everything cuz i'm in school so they pay for all my bags.....or i scrape together a few dollars here and there......but i always pay in cash.......my parents never charge anything and being brought up that way i hate to charge things.......

jc2239 said:
same with me.....i begged my boyfriend when we were like 18 and i got me the LV MK agenda.......which i then returned for chanel glasses......but he's so against me bag-obsession and so unsupportive of my love for designer goods in general.......my parents still pay for everything cuz i'm in school so they pay for all my bags.....or i scrape together a few dollars here and there......but i always pay in cash.......my parents never charge anything and being brought up that way i hate to charge things.......

I was brought up the exact opposite way, I received my first credit card when I was 14 and I charge everything. Unfortunately, I also pay off all the bills as well ! :Push: But credit card always reassures me, I have a platinum MC which has among its perks purchase insurance so if anyone steals anything, I can claim the value back. It makes carrying expensive bags on the street a little more reassuring ! :biggrin:

I am also very fortunate to have a very generous husband who, I think, is just happy to know that he can ALWAYS buy me a bag and I will be happy!! In fact, he bought me my first Chloe last year all on his own and bought me the Paddy this year for Christmas. He also stuffed my stocking full of cash that I am still waiting to spend it on the right bag! Considering how much he spends on his "toys", I think he knows he is getting a bargin!

kanhje said:
WHY did I quit playing piano!?! If I'd only thought about that...

Im in medical school too, which year are u in?.... those loans really dont get me far, it is hard to make designer purchases nowadays! Most other students i come across arent really interested in fashion. Hopefully all the hard work/suffering/ wearing ugly "comfort" flats will all be worth it in couple years! and we wont have to think twice when we find a fab bag!

shihfan said:
Im in medical school too, which year are u in?.... those loans really dont get me far, it is hard to make designer purchases nowadays! Most other students i come across arent really interested in fashion. Hopefully all the hard work/suffering/ wearing ugly "comfort" flats will all be worth it in couple years! and we wont have to think twice when we find a fab bag!
i'm a law student and it seems like mosta my friends aren't really interest in fashion either...might be cuz they're mostly guys but still......i only have like one shopping buddy, everybody's so into the studying thing.........the only thing that's getting me through is the thought of how much money i'll be making when i graduate and the awesome internship salaries......

Kat said:
He's from a different generation, literally. I'm going to be 43 in February and he'll be 65 in March. (He is the same age as my mother and my father is only two years older than him...lol) Although there is a twenty-two year difference between us for the last 14 years he's been my best friend. We travel together, we have worked together, we shop together, we ride motorcycles together, we ski together ...blah, blah, blah.....

That is fantastic - the secret to a lasting relationship is friendship. When your partner is your best friend then you will most likely have a long lasting, fulfilling, relationship.

SwankyMamaof3 said:
I pay the bills here too! I'm a SAHM and DH makes a very comfortable living. BUT, I'm a smuggler! LOL! I tend to smugggle things in when he's not looking! I also try to soften the blow by saving my own little stash and paying half.
ALso, he has NO idea what my things cost!

I edited your post...easier than typing out my whole scenario. :amuse:

I don't pay the bills though, hubby does, except I pay my own charge card online. :amazed: If he saw the total amount of my charges and then returns...he would certify me.

He just sees the amount that I paid in the checking acct. register...and he is OK with it. Most of the time... Come hell or high water, he refuses to carry a balance on any credit card, so at times he has had to transfer $. Ooops. LOL