How do you motivate yourself when feeling down?

Shelby33

I can keep rhythm with no metronome.
Sep 12, 2015
Hi, I am new to this part of the forum. I struggle with depression sometimes and find it difficult to motivate myself to do ANYTHING.
Can anyone relate? Or offer suggestions to get my butt off this stupid couch?

I struggle with depression sometimes too. I understand that feeling.

I've found that one of the best ways that I can fight depression as well as that listless feeling is to do something for someone else. That gets the focus off of me (helps with the depression) & gets me moving (helps with motivation).

I have to decide the night before that I'm going to get up & do this thing for this person tomorrow. It could be as simple as paying for the drive through order of the person behind you. If I can be accountable for actually getting the thing done by telling someone about my plans or doing the thing with someone else, that ensures that I get it done (I'm a woman of my word; if I say it, I do it). If I wait until the morning to decide based on how I feel, I won't do anything which pushes me further into the downward spiral.

Sometimes something like having a simple to-do list that I can cross off helps. I list things like: take a shower, do laundry, run an errand on the list. I feel a sense of accomplishment when I can cross even these simple things off the list. They don't seem so simple to achieve sometimes. Then the next day I can put a few more challenging things on the list.

Another good thing to try is a gratitude list or journal. At the end of the day, write down at least 3 good things that happened that day. Even if it's something simple like: I took a shower; I got a coffee buzz. It helps to change your perspective & start to notice all of the good things that really are happening. As time goes by, the list of 3 things gets longer & the good things that happen get bigger.

Last edited:
I've been through tough times a couple months ago. After uploaded consistent YouTube videos for 2 years, I was so down that I had to stop for 3 full months (including the preplanned and scheduled video I made before I was so mentally tired and sick).

Here are some things that helped me:
1) Adopt a cat - there's something magical about saving a life, feeding, petting, and keeping a pet alive.
2) Exercise, let it be yoga or hiphop- find something you enjoy. Sweat and let all those negativity flow out of your system!
3) Treat yourself - let it be bags, clothes, watches, makeup, facial products, spa, etc. You deserve it! (Just never, ever go into debt.)
4) Therapy - may not work for everyone, but it's good to have someone you get tell your "secrets" to, especially if you are self-conscious about giving too much mental burden to your friends by telling them how you feel.
5) Push yourself. It was so difficult for me to get dressed, and doll up for my first video after the 3 month break. I literally thought I could not do it, or that I lost interest. Not true! I Just needed to pick myself back up and push myself through the first video. The rest was a lot easier.

That's true, we have three cats and one of them can always tell when I'm down. She's a doll with very double paws that she trips over :smile:

Keep a routine that gets you up and moving. One of the gals I work with who had debilitating depression last year told me she gets up, showered and dressed even if she isn't going out. She stays on the same time schedule at work. Plays with her rescue pit bull (a real sweet heart).

She missed a lot of work last year due to depression so keeping on a schedule and keeping busy helps her. HTH

Keep a routine that gets you up and moving. One of the gals I work with who had debilitating depression last year told me she gets up, showered and dressed even if she isn't going out. She stays on the same time schedule at work. Plays with her rescue pit bull (a real sweet heart).

She missed a lot of work last year due to depression so keeping on a schedule and keeping busy helps her. HTH
That's the hardest part, getting myself up and moving. It seems to take an unbelievable amount of energy and I don't understand why everything is so hard to do now.

NO one can help you but yourself, believe me.
Do something that makes you feel accomplishment, even if it's just getting out of bed and making coffee, little steps are all you need. Try and do one little thing each day. Don't expect to much from yourself and try and have people around you who support you. It's very hard for them too, they don;t understand until they have been there/ I hate to say good luck because it isn't, you have to be the one who makes a difference or else you will be in hell.
Pm me if you like.

Reactions: Shelby33
Suggest speak to physician.
Make certain your diet is okay. And blood work levels okay.

If not physical cause, suggest rehab some item.
Fixing & cleaning a thrift store find.
Or painting a room.
Tremendous sense of power & control.
And pride in result.

Also, eat chocolate for breakfast 1 day.
Break the routine.;)

Hang in.:heart:
Hi, I am new to this part of the forum. I struggle with depression sometimes and find it difficult to motivate myself to do ANYTHING.
Can anyone relate? Or offer suggestions to get my butt off this stupid couch?

Thanks everyone. I am on meds for depression, he added a new one today. I think I'm just worn down. I have two special needs kids, divorced, and all the fighting I had to do with the schools and all the struggles they have now (they are 24 and 20) I think it has been breaking me down bit by bit you know?
I did get up and take a shower and get dressed today so that's progress.
Thanks everyone for your help.

Reactions: Docjeun
Thanks everyone. I am on meds for depression, he added a new one today. I think I'm just worn down. I have two special needs kids, divorced, and all the fighting I had to do with the schools and all the struggles they have now (they are 24 and 20) I think it has been breaking me down bit by bit you know?
I did get up and take a shower and get dressed today so that's progress.
Thanks everyone for your help.

I agree with you that you're worn down. How could you not be? I'm proud of you for going to your doctor & asking for more help. I'm even more proud of you for taking a shower & getting dressed. Baby steps every day. :hugs: [emoji253]

I like to go for a walk through nature. Its peaceful and diminishes how absorbed I am in all my daily stresses.

Getting moving is so hard. I cant do it if i think about it or start weighing whether it's worth it to move or stay plopped. Sometimes baby steps of "I'll just stand up" then "I'll just put on clothes" and "I'll just go sit in the car" or "I'll just drive to the park, i can sit in the car". I give myself the option to quit at any point and feel good about my progress of making it to that point. Usually i end up with a decent length walk, but i always feel more proud that i moved than if I stayed in bed.

I ended up finding out I had a thyroid problem. Make sure your doctor has done bloodwork checking that. I thought i was just extremely exhausted and appropriately emotional from all I had going on so it was a surprise. Hopefully that isnt your problem.

I hope your new medicine makes a difference. Sometimes insurance companies make your doctor try certain medications before letting you try others that may be more effective. So dont be discouraged that you have been on medications that havent worked. It's part of the process and it's not indicative that there isnt help for you available.

Always remember you are an amazing person, you've raised two children through your extraordinary strength, and you have a lot of interesting times to come. Just get out of the house where new insight and opportunity has a chance to find you.

Last edited: