How do you ladies...

i <3 shoes

Mar 21, 2010
manage NOT to be addicted to The Purse Forum and not want to buy everything?

I've only been here for a few days and I'm obsessed with looking at everyone's collection and reading about the items on your wishlists and I want them ALL!!!! :yahoo:

I'm going to be a very broke college student....

Ha ha! Welcome! We are all addicts of handbags or we wouldn't be on here! Think of it as AAA for bags! :lolots: It takes a lot of restraint and willpower! I have just started developing some after two major purchases and major expenses that just arose. Otherwise, it's fairgame and good luck! :amuse: The thing I love the most about being on here is the commaradary (hope I spelled this correctly!) Secondly, the invaluable advice! One can gain a world of knowledge by just reading the different threads.

Good luck and have loads of fun! :yahoo:

Welcome to the forum! :smile:

To be honest, I am addicted and I also want to buy a lot of things i see here. But i restrain myself from buying everything i want because:

1 - It would just lead to a lot of impulse shopping and having things just sitting in my closet gathering dust.
2 - Unfortunately i don't have a money tree and prefer to save up for things instead of getting into debt to get them.
3 - I'm very fickle when it comes to fashion items and usually snap out of wanting something after a few weeks/months. So the time it takes me to save up for something works well as a cooling off period for whatever i've been obcessed with :P

to avoid buying everything:

always take off the sales goggles.. just cuz it's a good deal doesn't mean you have to buy it.

know what works for you. don't waste your money on styles you like but can't use.

if you like a bag, let it sink in for a week or so... the bag will always be around, and if it's still on your mind after a week or even a month, then really consider buying it.

it is possible to have too many bags... keep your collection small but worthy. you love them each a lot more.

Last edited:
I actually think TPF has helped me refine my tastes and what I look for in a bag which lets me be more decisive about my purchases. Of course, I still go on binges sometimes lol! But overall I'm very happy with my bags and rarely return things!

I am very addicted to this forum to the point that when my internet was down I was surfing the forums through my blackberry LOL

I love shopping and specially shopping for bags before I even join this forum, I was quite lucky to find The Purse Forum, it feels soooo good to find people who have the same obsession as you do haha

I go through phases. Out of sight, out of mind is what works for me. I was addicted for a while a few years back and then it died down. The cycle started again then died down again. It started again really slow this time but it fizzled really fast. It helps that I have a lot of bags already that wanting more is just inconvenient so I think about it more before I buy.

You are not alone, I also love looking at the beautiful collections tPFers have and secretly lust over them. My collection has increased greatly ever since I joined the forum 2 years ago.

to avoid buying everything:

always take off the sales goggles.. just cuz it's a good deal doesn't mean you have to buy it.

know what works for you. don't waste your money on styles you like but can't use.

if you like a bag, let it sink in for a week or so... the bag will always be around, and if it's still on your mind after a week or even a month, then really consider buying it.

it is possible to have too many bags... keep your collection small but worthy. you love them each a lot more.

Excellent advice

although I certainly haven't followed the last point because I don't like selling/giving away bags once I've become attached, I'm still happy :P

I love handbags but it doesn't necessarily mean I love all handbags that I would want to purchase them. I'm particular about style and sometimes brand so it's easy for me not to want everything! I don't think that I'm addicted to handbags but I am addicted to clothes. TPF is my favourite forum and I enjoy visiting here because of the people.

1.) Other "want" priorities. The "need" priorities are already burned into my head, so it's easy not to neglect them money-wise. However, other "want" priorities that I place a much higher value are what I think about that really help kill my desire for new bags. The funny thing is it's so much easier to be obsessed with handbags than with these other wants.

2.) Being incredibly picky about what I want and getting a style that's too similar to what I have in my collection. Even when I bought just what I moderately liked- not even love- and they were different enough, this would only be a like a measly 0.2 percent of the bags that I would see at the most. I don't try to be this picky, I just am! I have now moved up to bags that I actually have to love, not simply like. So, this is pretty much going to be like 0.001 percent of the bags that I see or something, LOL.

So... as of now, I have no problem not buying anything anymore.