How do you know your skin is right for powdered mineral makeup?

Sternchen

O.G.
May 16, 2006
Hi everyone :smile:

I was looking around the maybelline website today and saw that they have a new powdered mineral makeup, but I'm not sure if my skin is right for that.

I have large pores (I think anyway...) and my skintone is pretty even, but I still have some lightly pink spots. I also have oily skin :s

The only type of powder I have ever tried was pressed powder, and it basically looked like I had cake batter on my face..not a good look :P

How do you know your skin is right for mineral loose powder?

Anybody ever try Maybelline's Pure.Make-up Mineral??

What about L'Oreal's Bare Naturale Powdered Mineral Foundation?

I tried looking for the other popular mineral makeup brands, but I wasn't able to find them in my area. When I was in Berlin I tried out some Egyptian Earth, but at over 40€ for a foundation, that was just too much for me :shame:

Last edited:
Well oily skin is good for powder foundation. It takes awhile to learn how to apply powder foundation well. For the sheerest coverage you can use a powder brush or for medium to full a kabuki or flat top brush. You can apply them wet or dry too. Applying it wet makes it look more natural but also more prone to shine later on in the day. There are a lot of good tutorials on how to do that if you're unsure of it. Personally I think it's better on younger skin types as well just because powder is going to take away some moisture from your face. I'd recommend a primer too since you're oily.

This is a good tutorial for applying. If you wanted to apply it wet, you can spray your brush once with water, fix+, toner etc and then swirl, tap, buff. Or spray your brush after you're done and buff it in lightly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAoIsnq4Wi8&feature=related

I use CoverFX's powder foundation and it's sheer to medium coverage depending on the brush you use and I love it. Clinique also has some good ones but I don't think it's quite as good and I've never tried the drugstore ones besides Physician's Formula which doesn't seem to be too good for oily skin.

^ thanks for that video...looks quite easy actually :smile:

Right now I have a liquid foundation and it's actually a bit of a pain to put on. Looks good, but I dunno..I like the idea of using minerals on my face. I really wish I could try the popular US brands but they just aren't available here :sad:

I recently saw that Artdeco also has minearl makeup...I wonder if that's any good?

There are a lot of sites out there that have good mineral makeup and will ship out.

Some popular ones are
Alima www.alimapure.com
Aromaleigh www.aromaleigh.com
Aubrey Nicole www.aubreynicole.com
Buff'd www.buffd.com
Everyday minerals www.everydayminerals.com
J Lynne www.jlynnecosmetics.com
Monave www.monave.com
Pure Luxe www.pureluxecosmetics.com

There are actually a lot more but it would be worth it to try it out because samples are usually cheap since these are mostly all small online companies.

I don't know why you have pink spots. If you have sensitive skin stay away from any brand that contains 'bismuth oxychloride' because that mineral has a crystalline structure with microscopic sharp edges which can cause skin to itch especially with perspiration or in the sunlight. L'Oreal, Urban Decay, Maybelline, and Bare Escentuals have them listed in their ingredients. Brands like RawMinerals, and Everyday Minerals don't contain it. Both brands can be sampled FREE just pay low shipping. The only brand that I know that has different formulations for different skin types is Everyday Minerals. Oily skin should use Matte finish, dry skin Original Glo. Everyday Minerals also has pressed powder option.

Last edited:
Order some Everyday Minerals samples and see what you think! I used to love Bare Escentuals, but it started getting a little bit weird on me - almost felt like my pores were itching inside them. I guess that was the bismuth that everyone talks about.

Anyway, use a primer (Monistat or Smashbox or MAC, etc), and then try the Everyday Minerals over it.

^ Wow - I thought i was the only one with problems with BM. I tried it recently over primer and foundation, then a light dusting of the BM loose powder and had an immediate reaction. I had to wash my face twice to make it stop!

If you're worried about your makeup looking dry, I would get a fixing spray such as MAC Fix+. It mimics what your makeup would look like after it mixes with some of your natural oils (not shiny or oily, more of a natural look).

Oh Mel, if you have problems with pink patches/spots, and you order Everyday Minerals, try their mint concealer. I have pink cheeks and sometimes on my forehead, it'll get a little pink. So I use the mint concealer and it does wonders to make my skin really even. I really would highly recommend them! :tup: Oh for your pores, you should use a primer or maybe a start to finish dust from EM. You can always ask your buddy to send you some samples of EM. :graucho:

I dunno why I have pink patches on my skin...they aren't always there, they mainly seem to come after I spent a lot of time outside in the sun and they typically go away after a while ;) Also, when a pimple is coming I get a pink spot usually on my cheek. I've got this one pore that apparently likes to make pimples, lol :shame:

I looked at the everyday minerals site last night but I have no clue what type to get! The samples cost $2.50 plus shipping which isn't that bad. I'm going to head to the Sephora equivalent here this afternoon and take a look at what they have :smile: Hopefully a MUA will be able to help me figure out the best color for my skin ;)

I love mineral powder! My skin is quite oilyunderneath/dry on surface in the summer months, but quite dry in winter. Mineral powder doesn't stop my face from being shiny, but it either doesn't change colour throughout the day, as some "normal" liquid ones do. I also have much less pimples since I stopped using the regular kind of stuff. If you have dry skin, just make sure you use a decent moisturizer and put on just the right amount of powder(which you'll learn to do pretty fast). The mineral stuff isn't expensive and you'll feel and see the difference(gosh, I sound like a commercial). My favourite is by a british brand called "Lily Lolo". Is has perfect shades for me for both summer and winter! http://www.lilylolo.co.uk/home.php

I have combination skin, with slightly large pores on my nose, and i used to have these sensitive red areas around my nose and chin. I thought that using mineral powder would be good because it was lighter, but it definately left my face in worse conditions. I've used Bare Minerals and Laura Mercier's Mineral Powder, but all of them made my pores bigger and left my face hurting because powder after powder just leaves your skin feeling dry (even if it is oily). So from recommendations and trying the products out myself, I switched to Chanel's Teint Innocence Compat foundation- and i have to say that it's better than mineral powder! My pores are less noticeable and the redness is going away because my face isn't as dry anymore.

I would say, test out the product, but if you see any conditions getting worse- it's definately not the right one for you.

^ Wow - I thought i was the only one with problems with BM. I tried it recently over primer and foundation, then a light dusting of the BM loose powder and had an immediate reaction. I had to wash my face twice to make it stop!

I've had similar problems, and it left my chin and nose red! But thank goodness it's gone now- after switching to something else.

Order some Everyday Minerals samples and see what you think! I used to love Bare Escentuals, but it started getting a little bit weird on me - almost felt like my pores were itching inside them. I guess that was the bismuth that everyone talks about.

Anyway, use a primer (Monistat or Smashbox or MAC, etc), and then try the Everyday Minerals over it.

I agree- give the samples a go and use a primer.

I've used Pur Minerals for years (it's pressed minerals not loose) and I really like it. I have an oily t-zone and find it works really well for me. It is not really expensive but I don't know if they ship to Germany. www.purminerals.com

I have a tan right now so have not been using any kind of foundation but will again when winter gets here.