How Do You Know When Your Collection Is Complete?

G&Smommy

O.G.
Sep 23, 2008
Much to my surprise, I am starting to feel as if my Chanel collection is complete. I can still see myself acquiring smaller items like SLGs, shoes, and RTW (on sale, of course), but I really feel I have all of the bags I currently "need" (relative term) or could reasonably use. I am still wait listed for a number of items but I am finding it really easy to say "no" as most feel repetitive of what I already have in my collection or not special enough to justify the ever rising prices.

My current collection (after some selling and exchanges) consists of the following (many of which are still NWT):

Black Patent Jumbo SHW
Black Lamb Jumbo Bijoux Chain
Pearly Beige Jumbo GHW
Navy Caviar Jumbo SHW
Metallic Black Reissue 227
Dark Gold Reissue 227
Pale Gold (more silver IRL) Reissue 227
Dark Navy Reissue 227
Black Reissue Camera Bag GHW
Grey Reissue 226
Taupe Reissue 226
Silver Lambskin Ice Cube Flap
CC Pocket Tote in Black
5 WOCs
Vintage Black Lamb GHW Messenger Flap
Vintage Black Lamb GHW Camera Bag with Tassel
A few wallets and card cases
More shoes than I count!
Some dresses, cardigans, and jackets all bought on sale

I feel like I have varied collection of colors and styles that largely work for my life (though my Jumbos don't get used enough) and know I don't "need" to acquire any others.

Has anyone else reached this point? Was it a fleeting satisfaction or did you truly feel done? I have spent so much time the last few years on researching and building my Chanel collection, I almost don't know what to do with myself if my collection is truly complete!

G&Smommy said:
Much to my surprise, I am starting to feel as if my Chanel collection is complete. I can still see myself acquiring smaller items like SLGs, shoes, and RTW (on sale, of course), but I really feel I have all of the bags I currently "need" (relative term) or could reasonably use. I am still wait listed for a number of items but I am finding it really easy to say "no" as most feel repetitive of what I already have in my collection or not special enough to justify the ever rising prices.

My current collection (after some selling and exchanges) consists of the following (many of which are still NWT):

Black Patent Jumbo SHW
Black Lamb Jumbo Bijoux Chain
Pearly Beige Jumbo GHW
Navy Caviar Jumbo SHW
Metallic Black Reissue 227
Dark Gold Reissue 227
Pale Gold (more silver IRL) Reissue 227
Dark Navy Reissue 227
Black Reissue Camera Bag GHW
Grey Reissue 226
Taupe Reissue 226
Silver Lambskin Ice Cube Flap
CC Pocket Tote in Black
5 WOCs
Vintage Black Lamb GHW Messenger Flap
Vintage Black Lamb GHW Camera Bag with Tassel
A few wallets and card cases
More shoes than I count!
Some dresses, cardigans, and jackets all bought on sale

I feel like I have varied collection of colors and styles that largely work for my life (though my Jumbos don't get used enough) and know I don't "need" to acquire any others.

Has anyone else reached this point? Was it a fleeting satisfaction or did you truly feel done? I have spent so much time the last few years on researching and building my Chanel collection, I almost don't know what to do with myself if my collection is truly complete!

Didn't you get the lucky charms flap this season? Did I miss it in your list? When I think I'm done and try to convince myself that so many Chanel bags look so similar, I some how get sucked back in.

Didn't you get the lucky charms flap this season? Did I miss it in your list? When I think I'm done and try to convince myself that so many Chanel bags look so similar, I some how get sucked back in.

I did get the Lucky Charms (which I loved!) and kept admiring it, but then felt guilty about the price and bought a VCA ring instead! That is part of my struggle, I feel like at the prices, jewelry is a better investment. I really feel that I have every occasion covered with my current collection. It is a strange feeling because I am used to getting sucked back in but am for some reason finding it a lot easier to turn down bags these days.

I thought so too, but I have already turned down three Jumbos this season and none of the pics of the new colors strike me as different enough from what I already have to justify the prices. That is why I am surprised.

I do agree that there gets to a point where you have enough that you are "waiting" for certain color combinations ... I have also made enough mistakes that if I know that if buy something close to what I want that I'll still be looking for a specific color/size combination :P.

I did get the Lucky Charms (which I loved!) and kept admiring it, but then felt guilty about the price and bought a VCA ring instead! That is part of my struggle, I feel like at the prices, jewelry is a better investment. I really feel that I have every occasion covered with my current collection. It is a strange feeling because I am used to getting sucked back in but am for some reason finding it a lot easier to turn down bags these days.

I agree! At these prices, I'm always thinking "where are the diamonds?"!!

I do agree that there gets to a point where you have enough that you are "waiting" for certain color combinations ... I have also made enough mistakes that if I know that if buy something close to what I want that I'll still be looking for a specific color/size combination :P.

I actually have all of the colors I was waiting for. I definitely leave open the possibility that a new color or style could tempt me going forward, but, for now, I feel happy with what I have.

I actually have all of the colors I was waiting for. I definitely leave open the possibility that a new color or style could tempt me going forward, but, for now, I feel happy with what I have.

I am waiting for bright or pastel colors with GHW. I feel like these are rarely available compared to ones with SHW ... although somehow, I still keep succumbing to SHW :P. I am really excited about 13C since I'm in love with the lavendar boy with the woven flap and am keeping my fingers crossed for good colors for the classics/reissues. The pictures kept me strong when I saw the lilac jumbo in lamb. The other thing that keeps me strong is thinking about jewelry, so your VCA story is very inspiring!

I am waiting for bright or pastel colors with GHW. I feel like these are rarely available compared to ones with SHW ... although somehow, I still keep succumbing to SHW :P. I am really excited about 13C since I'm in love with the lavendar boy with the woven flap and am keeping my fingers crossed for good colors for the classics/reissues. The pictures kept me strong when I saw the lilac jumbo in lamb. The other thing that keeps me strong is thinking about jewelry, so your VCA story is very inspiring!

More GHW options would be nice! I always love the Cruise colors too! A lot of fun brights and nice pastels! I am keeping an open mind, but I guess I am just getting really picky given the collection I have built.

More GHW options would be nice! I always love the Cruise colors too! A lot of fun brights and nice pastels! I am keeping an open mind, but I guess I am just getting really picky given the collection I have built.

I think picky is probably the best way to describe it since there are such beautiful bags every season (I already have two red flaps but the copper ... the copper :biggrin: !). Now I always ask myself: But would I ever wear this bag instead of another one that I already have? If there are very few situations that I imagine choosing it, I pass even if I really want it.

I think picky is probably the best way to describe it since there are such beautiful bags every season (I already have two red flaps but the copper ... the copper :biggrin: !). Now I always ask myself: But would I ever wear this bag instead of another one that I already have? If there are very few situations that I imagine choosing it, I pass even if I really want it.

I think we have the same standards! I do the same thing - when would I wear this instead of what I already have? Usually the answer is rarely or never and I know I would just admire it in my closet, so I pass even if it is a beautiful and would be a nice bag to have in my collection!

What an amazing collection you have! My collection is not as large as yours so I definitely have a few years yet of collecting but the price increases of Chanel are a control factor, I just received my beloved black Reissue 225 GHW which I have wanted for months, so I have to control myself but I agree with mc100 the 'copper with the GHW' is to die for! So I am planning again!
Congratulations on the Pave, I have a thing for Pave too! I have collected Argyle diamonds over the years, so no more. I wish I didn't have such extravagant taste but at least my son and daughter will benefit from all my collections one day!