How do you justify buying jewelry with your partner?

sparklebunny

Dec 16, 2019
Just a question to see if other couples experience the same issue:

My husband and I have some milestone events coming up (anniversaries and birthday). We are both working and are not struggling financially. He is fairly conservative with money, though, and while I’m not a spendthrift, I’m more relaxed with spending in comparison.

I was thinking about getting some jewelry to commemorate the aforementioned events, but at pricier stores (think Cartier, Tiffany’s, etc.). He’s fine to get me one item, but I also asked if he’d mind if I got myself something extra (on my own tab).

He seemed bothered by that because of the extra expense (the total of everything would be around ~$5K) and pointed out that I already have other jewelry items that I rarely wear. (And I don’t know if reselling them would bring in good prices.) In the end, he said that I can buy something more for myself if I want, but still—I feel very, very guilty.

While we are financially stable (no debts, mortgage, loans, etc.), I recognize that my spouse grew up in poverty, so I do want to respect his own feelings about major non-practical spending.

I’m just wondering if there are other folks out there who have uncomfortable discussions around jewelry/luxury purchases with their significant other? How do you manage these issues?

(Mods, I hope this post is okay here—if it needs to be shifted elsewhere, please let me know.)

Reactions: sunshineshiney
Without getting too in-depth, I think this issue goes far deeper than jewelry. You need to be on the same page in terms of -

- which financial resources are shared and which are separate
- how you handle any separate monies ("my own tab" implies you each have a separate spending account) - do you have complete discretion here? (sounds like no). Could you each establish no-questions-asked "mad money" funds?
- overall philosophy of financial priorities

These things are complex but it's always better to have open discussion in general and move on than to get uncomfortable in specific situations (like wanting to get yourself a little something at Cartier).

Happy anniversary and birthday

for many years, while DH was building his business, I bought and paid for my own luxury items. There were years when I refrained bc I felt it would make DH feel badly that he could not indulge me as much as he would have liked to.

if there is a particular item that you love, I would explain why and how much you love it and would use it (unlike other jewelry items you own). In the end though, if he really was opposed, I would respect that. Good luck !

I have to agree that this require a bigger discussion than just the jewelry. You need to decide how you split money/resources. If you each have a separate "fun money" account, there can be NO JUDGEMENT over how it is spent. Other accounts will cover living expenses and shared items/events. For example, Dh and I have a number of different accounts - one for house upgrades/repairs, one for vacations, a general fund for normal bills, etc. But I also have an account with only my name on it that he has no access to that I can use to buy items he would consider frivolous. He just chuckles about the things I buy, but he's happy if I am happy, and it isn't jeopardizing our financial security or financial future.

Dh and I long ago decided we had different values about money. If those things are not aired out and decisions made about them, they can undermine trust in a relationship. Money is a very common reason people divorce, so it is crucial you come to a system the two of you agree on. It shouldn't have to be his way or your way, but a shared way that you can both respect and will work for the long term.

Thanks so much for the wise responses here!

To be clear, we both have separate bank accounts and a joint account that we use for vacations and such. We don’t have any “mad money” accounts (though that is an interesting idea).

Our general rule is that if we want to make large purchases (let’s say $500 or more) with any account, then we should consult with one another first. We go by an honor system and trust each other. Luckily, we rarely have financial disagreements and are overall responsible with spending.

I think my husband just prefers to spend money on practical things—even when I want to buy gifts for him, he’ll always ask for things that he can use on a regular basis and not fanciful luxury items. But he understands that I’d like to have things like jewelry for special occasions, too. We’re still having ongoing discussions about this and I’m glad that we’re able to talk, even if we’re not always on the same page.

My dad is a smart man. When my husband asked him for my hand in marriage, my parents were afraid that he would take advantage of me financially. My dad had a nice talk with him and asked how he wanted to split the finances. He agreed to give me all the money and have me handle the finances. We'll make 10 years next July and haven't had one argument about money. I have no advice to give, but wanted to wish you a happy birthday and happy anniversary. I hope you get everything that you want. :heart:

I have to say I’m surprised that a woman who is working and contributing to the household bills feels like she has to ask permission to buy herself something fancy. It may be my ignorance, or where I live, or how I was brought up but getting in a relationship for me always meant I get to keep my freedom in all aspects of life. Eg. I’m not a promiscuous person, have never cheated, but if I wanted to I feel like I could. If I wanted to spend money on sth just for me, obviously without getting into financial struggle, I feel like I could (and I do!). Freedom to decide for myself is everything to me, I honestly (and without trying to offend anyone) can’t understand how a woman today would consciously/willingly choose a life partner who takes away her freedom to decide for herself. That includes spending her money I believe. On the other hand it explains why women stay single or marry late. Maybe I’m just bloomin lucky!:angel::biggrin:
So to answer your question OP, I wouldn’t justify. Instead maybe I’d suggest if I was getting sth nice he could too…

I can totally relate…my DH and I have different attitudes towards spending. Likewise, we are financially stable with no debts, but the idea of spending $$$ on a material item sends him into a panic.

In the past few years, we’ve settled on a system where I have an agreed-upon budget each year to spend as I please. For a milestone birthday, we agreed on an extra amount. While I sometimes wish he was the type of person who would buy me something huge (“the big gesture”) I accept that’s just not in his make-up. We still have to have regular communication about this issue to avoid resentments or me feeling I somehow have to hide my spending. He acknowledges I deserve nice things and I assure him I would never jeopardize our security.

Ditto on purses….lol.

The upside of this is that it has made me very careful and choosey with my purchases. I hate waste and things languishing in the closet!

Ugh I feel you so much. My husband I have fought many times about money, even though we’re meeting all of our financial goals. He refuses to have separate “mad money” accounts so unfortunately almost every luxury purchase is an unpleasant discussion.

We’ve sort of landed at an agreement where I buy myself 1-3 luxury items a year (bags and/or jewelry), staying under 5% of my own annual income. He makes twice as much as me, so I’m spending very very little of our total income each year on my 1-3 items.

One thing that has helped me is becoming educated about the history of the brand and the specific items I’m interested in. Sharing that context with my husband has helped him accept why I want what I want instead of settling for something similar and cheaper.

Another thing that helps me is having a plan and sharing it with my husband months ahead of time so he doesn’t think I’m being impulsive and isn’t surprised by my purchases.

Like a few months before a trip to a luxury store I’ll tell him something like “I really want a Cartier love bracelet this year. When we’re near the boutique in June I want to go try it on. Then I’ll think about it and if I still like it I’ll buy it for my birthday later this summer.” Then when we’re planning the trip “it seems like Friday would be the best day to fit in a visit to Cartier, or do you think another day is better?” Then the week of the trip “my appointment at Cartier is Friday at 2.” Try on the bracket, like it, let him know in July “I really liked it and I think I’ll order it a week before my birthday.” So he knows the purchase was well considered and by the time it happens he’s had a lot of time to get used to the idea and is not surprised at all.

Hope that helps!

Well I can’t give you much more advice than what has already been said but would he be more comfortable considering something that is luxurious and practical at the same time? It does not have to be mutually exclusive. A nice high end watch can be worn and used everyday. It serves more than just blingy adornment from his point of view?
That would not have been a bad idea during the pre-smartwatch era! Nowadays I wear my Apple Watch daily (which my husband paid half of—we agreed on that with no issues). But watches can be a good combo of something both practical and luxurious for sure!

I have to say I’m surprised that a woman who is working and contributing to the household bills feels like she has to ask permission to buy herself something fancy. It may be my ignorance, or where I live, or how I was brought up but getting in a relationship for me always meant I get to keep my freedom in all aspects of life. Eg. I’m not a promiscuous person, have never cheated, but if I wanted to I feel like I could. If I wanted to spend money on sth just for me, obviously without getting into financial struggle, I feel like I could (and I do!). Freedom to decide for myself is everything to me, I honestly (and without trying to offend anyone) can’t understand how a woman today would consciously/willingly choose a life partner who takes away her freedom to decide for herself. That includes spending her money I believe. On the other hand it explains why women stay single or marry late. Maybe I’m just bloomin lucky!:angel::biggrin:
So to answer your question OP, I wouldn’t justify. Instead maybe I’d suggest if I was getting sth nice he could too…
Thanks for your opinion, and I think everyone/every couple handles money differently! For the record, my husband does not control my finances—I wouldn’t ever marry someone who pushed me around like that. If he was so controlling, we would never have lasted for almost 10 years so far (dating + marriage).

But we talk about the pricey things that we’d like to spend our money on—and on the flip side, I wouldn’t be happy if he bought something very costly without asking me about it first. I guess even if communicating is uncomfortable sometimes, I would still rather have us be honest than have to hide what we’re doing from each other.

I can totally relate…my DH and I have different attitudes towards spending. Likewise, we are financially stable with no debts, but the idea of spending $$$ on a material item sends him into a panic.

In the past few years, we’ve settled on a system where I have an agreed-upon budget each year to spend as I please. For a milestone birthday, we agreed on an extra amount. While I sometimes wish he was the type of person who would buy me something huge (“the big gesture”) I accept that’s just not in his make-up. We still have to have regular communication about this issue to avoid resentments or me feeling I somehow have to hide my spending. He acknowledges I deserve nice things and I assure him I would never jeopardize our security.

Ditto on purses….lol.

The upside of this is that it has made me very careful and choosey with my purchases. I hate waste and things languishing in the closet!
I like the system that you and your husband have! Compromise and understanding are important in relationships.

Haha about purses—I love them too, but unfortunately I don’t have as much use for them since I’ve been working from home now. But jewelry seems easier to enjoy at any time compared to bags.

Being more choosy is a good thing, too—I wish I had that mindset and wisdom when I was younger.

Ugh I feel you so much. My husband I have fought many times about money, even though we’re meeting all of our financial goals. He refuses to have separate “mad money” accounts so unfortunately almost every luxury purchase is an unpleasant discussion.

We’ve sort of landed at an agreement where I buy myself 1-3 luxury items a year (bags and/or jewelry), staying under 5% of my own annual income. He makes twice as much as me, so I’m spending very very little of our total income each year on my 1-3 items.

One thing that has helped me is becoming educated about the history of the brand and the specific items I’m interested in. Sharing that context with my husband has helped him accept why I want what I want instead of settling for something similar and cheaper.

Another thing that helps me is having a plan and sharing it with my husband months ahead of time so he doesn’t think I’m being impulsive and isn’t surprised by my purchases.

Like a few months before a trip to a luxury store I’ll tell him something like “I really want a Cartier love bracelet this year. When we’re near the boutique in June I want to go try it on. Then I’ll think about it and if I still like it I’ll buy it for my birthday later this summer.” Then when we’re planning the trip “it seems like Friday would be the best day to fit in a visit to Cartier, or do you think another day is better?” Then the week of the trip “my appointment at Cartier is Friday at 2.” Try on the bracket, like it, let him know in July “I really liked it and I think I’ll order it a week before my birthday.” So he knows the purchase was well considered and by the time it happens he’s had a lot of time to get used to the idea and is not surprised at all.

Hope that helps!
I’m sorry about those financial fights on your end—I hope your agreement has helped since then??

I like your tactics as well—educating one’s spouse is a good idea. I wonder if telling our partners about the strong resale values of Cartier pieces would sway them a bit more? LOL!

Thanks for your thoughts about dropping hints as well—better to be gradual about things rather than cause shock. I think I did knock my husband off his axis with my ideas, BUT I will say he has agreed to do some exploratory jewelry trips with me later this week!

I will say that resale value *does* seem to help. Even though I don't plan to resell more than very occasional unused bags, my husband seeing that my well-kept Kelly is still worth what I paid for it, or close to it, probably keeps him from objecting too much when I add yet another - same with the other luxury things I spend on (camera equipment, classic furniture, art). And I feel the same about his watch and guitar collections (and all HIS bags LOL).
Jewelry is harder usually, but Cartier classics do just fine at resale.
If my DH was super practical I could see the discussion would be tougher, but I am the practical one ;)

Hope that helps!

This is really smart! Mentioning it all well ahead of time does give DH time to “accept” the purchase and know it is well-thought out. I’m going to incorporate this tactic too!