how do you just walk away from an argument?

BTW, my girlfriend calls people who can jack you up like this 'Energy Vampires' which seems a brilliant term to me! :ninja:

Hey, I like that!

Kallison, I feel ya. Actually, my parents are the same way, and let me tell you that I'm 43 years old. You can't have a civilized conversation with them about just about anything because they don't see any views other than their own. They're here visiting for the holidays right now and tension is high in our house! We've learned you just have to walk away. Now, unfortunately we (me, my husband and kids) go off and stew privately, but there are just some people you will never win with.

I don't go to church anymore, but I feel that I'm a spiritual person and I speak to and pray to God every day. I definitely don't believe you have to go to church every week just to be considered religious or be close to God.

If all else fails, ditch the other forum and stay here with us. We love ya here!:jammin:

I don't go to church anymore, but I feel that I'm a spiritual person and I speak to and pray to God every day. I definitely don't believe you have to go to church every week just to be considered religious or be close to God.

If all else fails, ditch the other forum and stay here with us. We love ya here!:jammin:
i fully intend to do that. and i love you all, too. :heart:

what i don't understand is what exactly she was hoping to accomplish...i mean, i'm already shaky with my faith- did she think treating me like that would somehow make me want to be a christian?! i mean, good grief!

and interesting you mention going to church...i got a pm from her once, saying that i could not claim to be ANY religion/faith if i did not attend church (i haven't been in nearly 2 years). some of the most incredible and nicest people i have ever encountered do not go to church, do not associate with church or religion (are simply spiritual...which i believe i am leaning towards)...and some of the meanest, most vindictive people i've met are very involved in their churches and use God as a weapon...

interesting.

i'd also like to add a THANK YOU to everyone else who responded and sent me some absolutely lovely pm's. you are all incredible and i really do appreciate such kinds words...you all made me cry!
:heart:

"You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image, when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do." Anne Lamott

There are some people who cannot be reasoned with, and anyone who claims to know the mind of God (or even whether one exists, but that is an entirely separate debate) is lying, plain and simple.

Additionally, one must accept that the Bible is the inerrant word of God for most evangelical's arguments to hold any validity whatsoever. They use the Bible to prove their points, which is really a circular argument. For a person who doesn't believe in the Bible (whether that person is a Muslim, a Jew who accepts only the Old Testament, a Hindu, an atheist or any other religion or non-religion), nothing quoted from the Bible can have any validity at all. THAT usually puts a pin in the balloon of the pushy evangelical.

i was captain of my debate team in high school, and one of the many, many things that it taught me is that some people, no matter how much they talk, just never get sick of the sound of their own chin wagging. and usually those that won't shut up are those that secretly know that they have no idea what they're talking about - they push around others to mask their own insecurity in their beliefs/causes/place in the world/etc.

i'm all for a civilized discussion, there's no reason to run from that just because there's conflict, but it takes the better person to put a stop to things when someone's getting ugly. tell her that you're comfortable with your own beliefs, no matter how uncomfortable she is with them, and you'll no longer allow it to be any of her concern. simple as that.

You know, this is why I don't talk to a lot of people about religion. I respect other people's beliefs and can agree to disagree but many people I know can't. They just have to be right. I just say this is my view and that's yours and that's great. End of discussion.

i don't mind a theological debate every once in awhile... helps me realize what i truly believe in- and lets me know how i certainly DON'T want to become (close minded and arrogant)...
but i'm like you, kathy, i can respect other peoples beliefs and agree to disagree. i ALWAYS try to see where other people are coming from with beliefs. and i just wish they could do the same.

i fully intend to do that. and i love you all, too. :heart:

what i don't understand is what exactly she was hoping to accomplish...i mean, i'm already shaky with my faith- did she think treating me like that would somehow make me want to be a christian?! i mean, good grief!

and interesting you mention going to church...i got a pm from her once, saying that i could not claim to be ANY religion/faith if i did not attend church (i haven't been in nearly 2 years). some of the most incredible and nicest people i have ever encountered do not go to church, do not associate with church or religion (are simply spiritual...which i believe i am leaning towards)...and some of the meanest, most vindictive people i've met are very involved in their churches and use God as a weapon...

interesting.

Oh so very true!