how do you just walk away from an argument?

JMO - if I didn't think there was a "God" (or whatever you choose to call him) I would be one miserable blob of cells. When times are trying, its what keeps me going. Knowing what happens in my life, good or bad, is his divine plan. Watch out for the S word, & I don't mean santa!
**crawls down off of soap box before I get in too deep**

If this is an on-line argument just don't respond. Leave them hanging it actually drives people like that nuts, they usually get their thrills out of creating trouble.
If it is an in person argument, just say I have to go now and do fill in whatever activity you can think of.
If it is a phone argument, the doorbell is ringing works well.
Or just say, agree to disagree end of discussion and leave it at that.
I personally like no response to them at all, that usually is more irritating to them than anything.

JMO - if I didn't think there was a "God" (or whatever you choose to call him) I would be one miserable blob of cells. When times are trying, its what keeps me going. Knowing what happens in my life, good or bad, is his divine plan. Watch out for the S word, & I don't mean santa!
**crawls down off of soap box before I get in too deep**
i'm finally to the point where i've figured out what i believe in...and it doesn't quite mesh with any particular religion (not that it really matters, but i would like to be around other people with similar beliefs).

If this is an on-line argument just don't respond. Leave them hanging it actually drives people like that nuts, they usually get their thrills out of creating trouble.
If it is an in person argument, just say I have to go now and do fill in whatever activity you can think of.
If it is a phone argument, the doorbell is ringing works well.
Or just say, agree to disagree end of discussion and leave it at that.
I personally like no response to them at all, that usually is more irritating to them than anything.

gotta agree with Fgal. Just ignore her. It isn't worth it. She needs to reflect on how she is making you feel.

have any of you ever seen that movie 'saved!'?

that part where hillary faye throws the bible at mary, "I AM FILLED WITH CHRIST'S LOVE"

hehe.

don't know why all this reminds me of that...something about making someone feel like crap in the name of God doesn't seem right.

have any of you ever seen that movie 'saved!'?

that part where hillary faye throws the bible at mary, "I AM FILLED WITH CHRIST'S LOVE"

hehe.

don't know why all this reminds me of that...something about making someone feel like crap in the name of God doesn't seem right.

LOL
Years ago I had a friend who could never be without a boyfriend, so you can imagine what she put up with! Anyway I was working on my masters degree & would go what looked like long periods of time (to her) without having a date.
One time she said to me, "doesn't it bother you to be alone, how can you stand it?" I said "you just need some inner peace & being without a date won't bother you ."
She SCREAMED at me, "I HAVE INNER PEACE!" Yeah, I never let her forget this!

Everyone has had great suggestions. One poster said some people thrive on drama, etc.--she may be on some "high" thinking she's winning the debate, but what kind of person puts down others to do that? That's why they say never start talking about politics or religion--people rarely agree. That's ok, but the demeaning of others in the name of your beliefs is NOT ok. You certainly can have your personal relationship with the God of your understanding. If there isn't room for that in her world, who needs her?

You can never go wrong with platitudes. If you are not adept at this, get you a mess of platitudes from a website or something, paraphrase them, just like you were back in high school writing a report from the encyclopedia on the principal products of Estonia, string them together with a lot of words that don't really say anything much, and in between all of that, take her argument and gently entwine very subtle explanations of how she really agrees with you. End with a grand finale of platitudes.

Or, you could just type "U R A DOO DOO HED" 129 times and post that like most people who aren't me do in such situations. ;)

Don't bother with her at all honey. This person is inflammatory, you can't win with her and she's not an important person in your life, so who cares what she says?:P Rent a funny movie, drink or eat something with chocolate and remember that God is everyone's father and just like a Good Father he loves everyone unconditionally (that is what I believe.).

Or you could do as I do and make it a point never to discuss theology without at least two or three drunken Jesuits, at least a half dozen incomprehensible Saddhus, a handful of equally incomprehensible squabbling Rabbis, a respectable contingent of saffron-clad monks, a dollop of hmmphing Sikhs, several thundering Imams each convinced that all the others are doomed to hell, a few supercilious Shinto dignitaries, a sprinkling of complacent animists, a large quantity of fine Burgundy, and a gaggle of long-suffering Zoroasterians, who listen as long as they can stand it, then exit, smirking, with several unopened bottles of wine under their clothes, heading for their attorneys to discuss that long-delayed copyright violation action against most everybody left back at the bar.