How do YOU handle the questions and comments about your LV?

I'm sorry but I would NOT pay what I do for LV and then tell someone it was fake just to make them feel better!! WTF? That is ridiculous. I would feel awful doing that. And what happens when one of your friends gets a real bag and then starts to bash you for having a "fake?" Now if a mugger is about to rob me, THEN I'd say it was fake, otherwise I'd never lie about my bags.

You don't have to explain yourself to anyone, but I totally understand. I get comments from my family members and I just say, "I save up for what I want" and leave it at that. Nothing you can say is going to make them feel better so keep it short and change the subject.

I dont know if its a maturity thing, age, or confidence level, but I would never tell anyone my bag was fake, just to appease them.. Like they're to sensitive to hear the truth? no.. You dont have to defend your purchases, no more then they have to defend to you, what they buy, expensive or not.

You are carrying/wearing authentic Louis Vuitton, Own your bag, be confident.. or just take it off and join the rest of them.. hehe..
Agree!!

boyoverboard said:
I only respond to genuine questions about my bags, the ones that I can tell are from people who actually like it or are interested in the brand. I don't respond at all to catty comments - I won't give those people the satisfaction. And I NEVER discuss how much something cost, unless it's with a friend whom I know also buys luxury bags. Otherwise I find it really crass, and even worse for someone to ask!

I agree.

AndyLVoe said:
I dont know if its a maturity thing, age, or confidence level, but I would never tell anyone my bag was fake, just to appease them.. Like they're to sensitive to hear the truth? no.. You dont have to defend your purchases, no more then they have to defend to you, what they buy, expensive or not.

I saw a video the other day.. on the Louis Vuitton website, under the category; 'Journeys'.. another bar opens and its called 'La Maison' after that three names pop up on the side click on Marc Jacobs. watch a short video called "the collection".. In short.. He speaks about his idea of what the Vuitton woman is, when he considers the designs for the collections.. in his words he says they try to get a consistent idea of what the Vuitton woman is, what she loves, what she stands for, regardless of the changes of fashion.. shes Glamourous and sexy but not vulgar a bit of an extrovert, the wife, the mistress, the girlfriend, whatever she may be.. The guy questioning Marc Jacobs, asks about the picture in his head about the Vuitton woman, Marc then goes on to explain its not one picture of a specific woman but several woman.. its A quailty of several woman, that needs to be noticed and recognized.. he says the monogram bag is the most recognizable bag, the woman carrying Louis Vuitton, that woman wants to be seen, to be noticed, there is nothing shy or apologetic about it, she is strong whether she is gentle, youthful or more mature. Shes definitely an extrovert.

Watch this video.. hear from the designer.. basically it comes down to this.. You are carrying/wearing authentic Louis Vuitton, Own your bag, be confident.. or just take it off and join the rest of them.. hehe..

I also wouldn't tell anyone my bags were fake to appease them. You are right that these bags should be carried with confidence. I finally got my first LV (was partial to Gucci) and I'm very proud that I worked hard to get it. No better feeling than walking out of the LV store with that beautiful brown bag. Nothing to be ashamed of!

I wanted a LV for a long time and always thought I couldn't afford it. But I finally set my mind to it and after working all summer in between college it was my one big purchase. I have had it for almost two years now and I still love it. I take great care of it and this summer I bought the leopard Sarah wallet.
My family makes comments like oh you could have made a down payment on a car. But that would be one payment and my car is still in good shape I only drive from school to home. Plus I'm in medical school I feel like I've earned the right to have a nice bag and I'm not even a little ashamed about how much it cost. Its worth more now than when I bought it!!!
My little sister says she wants one but instead she buys some little crappy $40-50 purse every few weeks. I wouldn't say mine is fake just to make someone else happy. I would just smile and go on!

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum

I'm sorry but I would NOT pay what I do for LV and then tell someone it was fake just to make them feel better!! WTF? That is ridiculous. I would feel awful doing that. And what happens when one of your friends gets a real bag and then starts to bash you for having a "fake?" Now if a mugger is about to rob me, THEN I'd say it was fake, otherwise I'd never lie about my bags.

You don't have to explain yourself to anyone, but I totally understand. I get comments from my family members and I just say, "I save up for what I want" and leave it at that. Nothing you can say is going to make them feel better so keep it short and change the subject.

yea I agree with this. I don't want to tell them it's fake. I want to be proud to say that It's real without being put down for it. but as for someone asking me how much money my bag costs, I really have no idea what to say. I don't want someone to know I spent $500 on a purse because it's none of their business. I think I'll just say "oh I forgot" lol and maybe they'll leave me alone.

If it is real- WEAR IT! And tell people it's real and you worked for it, hard!

As long as you do not pride yourself on having a bag that is more expensive than most other people you know's bags- there shouldn't be any issue. Be proud, but not "proud". If I'm making sense.

I agree you don't have to tell them you are carrying a fake when you're not. But I also understand the frustration of getting negative comments and criticisms. At 20yo, you don't want to attract the unnecessary attention. If anyone asks, perhaps just say it's a second hand bag you bought at a good deal, and leave it at that.

I bought a LV makeup bag back in the 80s to match my Speedy - the Monogram Speedy was the first luxury purchase I ever made. When a co-worker saw me lifting the makeup bag out of my purse, she asked me if the bag was included when I bought the Speedy. When I told her no, and mentioned how much I paid or it (she had the nerve to ask) well, it was so frustrating! This woman sputtered, pointed at the makeup bag, snorted and yelled for all to hear, "you paid what for that?" She carried on to the point where a mutual friend pulled her aside and told her to squash it. She told her to mind her own business, that I didn't spend her money, after all. Another example of rude comments I've heard regarding my LVs: I was visiting my mom in the hospital with my daughter and I was carrying my Mon Speedy 35. I didn't hear the comments as I was busy with my mom, but my daughter told me afterward that a nurse mentioned my bag to her co-worker. The co-worker sniffed, "Yeah, but there is nothing in it!" I hate to get racial, but black women are especially reviled when we're carrying a Louis Vuitton. Nine times out of ten we're thought to carry fakes, but even if the bags are proved to be real, we're considered "ghetto:" we spend our money on items to make us look important while ignoring the really crucial necessities like savings, etc. I really resent this. I am a woman of color who has several savings accounts, a very good job and a nice car and a fully paid for house. I keep my peace when I hear these comments. People have their own prejudices about who should own a LV. Now that I'm older and outwardly look like I can afford luxury bags I don't hear a lot of flack. My siblings once chided me for buying LV, but no more. My younger sister even bought me a lovely Damier Ebene Speedy 30 for Xmas. My co-workers are drooling over it, and some have said outright how jealous they are of my bag, even though LV ownership is not uncommon where I live and work.

Why did I say all this? I guess I want you to ignore the negative comments and enjoy your bag. I'm over the moon about my bags, and I apologize to no one!

okay so my speedy came in the mail today. (yaaay!!!) and my mom is starting with me already.

I said:
-mom, you like my new bag?"
*looks at my bag* -oh it's nice
-yea, it's a pre-owned one...
-wait so how much did you pay for it?
-about $500
-:wtf:how do you even know it's real?!
- I had it authenticated on the purse forum. it's women on there who specialize in that type of thing.
-mmmhhhhmm.....
but the way she said it was just like...dissaproving? or like she didn't believe me when I said it's real. Idk why. and I already know I'm gonna catch hell from everyone else but you know what? screw it. I'm gonna carry my bag with my head high because I know it's real and that's all that matters. thank you everyone for the advice for how to handle this situation. I appreciate it. but anyone else who has more advice is more than welcome to comment.=]

Hold your head up high and be proud to carry your beautiful bag you love. Because people will always judge, but there will be others who will be kind and respectful of you and your choices. you deserve to carry your bag wether it be $1 or $1000. we all spend money , some on cars, inside of our house ourselves, or family. neither is wrong, just personel prefers. let haters hate, lover will love. congrats ang enjoy!

I was 22 when I purchased my first LV and I received a lot of crap from my friends and co-workers about buying something so expensive, but I just told them it's my money and I spend it as I see fit. I don't have any debt whatsoever so I don't see it as a problem at all.

Or just tell your friends to mind their own business.

Hi everyone :smile: I joined tpf a few years ago to do some research for my first lv - the neverfull and since then I have purchased a pocket agenda and plan to get an azur cles in a few weeks :smile:
However...many of my friends see it as a waste of money and do not hold back in telling me so. They say that mono is almost tacky because it screams lv, but I love it so I ignore. It just gets on my nerves when people don't understand! Hahaha
Do any of you have the same problem?

I can see where you're coming from... I recently got my first lv and I feel like my friends think its a waste but don't say it to my face. But I love designer things and I'll spend my money the way I want :smile:
And I hate people who say the mono is tacky; they are most likely jealous