How do you guys feel about Ebay?

my advice to anyone buying off ebay would be extremely careful when it comes to buying designer stuff. i only ever use it for older vintage things that catch my eye.

kezza said:
And remember to never, ever, buy something from a seller who contacts you off ebay. I had a friend who bid and lost on one item (a Coach tote) and was contacted about a similar one and was naive enough to buy it for $60. As soon as she told me what she'd done I told her it was a mistake and, sure enough, the bag she got was as fake as it could get. I'm even surprised she got a bag at all!
eBay is great for getting last season and less popular styles, but you'll never get an "it" bag at a significant discount.

Yep - never buy without an eBay listing! You aren't protected. A lot of other scammers will want you to pay by WIRE TRANSFER - which is a monster no-no.

My opinion, if you are going to buy a pricey bag online....is it worth the chance of getting scammed? I rather pay the full deal and know with certainty, I've got what I paid for! An overly great deal with major price reductions is definitely skeptical to me! With that being said....if you do plan to buy something, try all the advice on this thread to prevent being ripped off!

well i bought my first paddington from ebay, and it is authentic, of course i paid an extra couple of hundred than what retail would have been for me, but i think it's worth it because i hate waiting, and i wanted it asap!

I also am an ebay buyer, but it takes extreme caution and a lot of education. I've been able to get some really good deals on balenciaga moto bags, and other designer items. However, this took a lot of time researching authentic bags and also developing a list of trustworthy sellers.

Love it ! I've had some disasters on eBay as a seller though, such as people that just don't pay, which is really annoying considering you're selling things below retail anyways. But on buying bags, I've found some pretty good deals and it's allowed for RAPID expansion of my Louis Vuitton collection !! :biggrin:

Of course, you have to be super careful. Make sure you research what you're going to buy LOTS cause you can still get tripped up, everything's a little harder when you don't actually have something tangible to inspect.

I agree with Greendrv. There ARE some great deals to be had on ebay. I've purchased a gorgeous YSL and Balenciaga bag both authentic but by sellers that include original receipts, bags, sleepers, etc. Sellers that post really close up, clear and multiple pictures who aren't selling 10 of the same bag. I mean, come on... who has 10 black motorcycle balenciaga bags in their closet?? and they want to sell them for $250. Uh, probably not authentic. Look at the sellers feedback, how long they have been registered on ebay, do they buy bags from ebay (esp. the one you are looking at?) or do they buy from boutiques themselves. You HAVE to be educated and take your time. Don't buy something just because it has a "buy it now" button and you're afraid someone else will jump on it - that's what they're counting on so take your time and shop wisely.

Also, I know that some of the bags are authentic because when I want to "retire" a bag, I sell it on ebay myself and I'm most certainly trustworthy.

Good luck and have fun!!

I love Ebay, but you must be very careful what you bid on, or rather who you are dealing with. There are a lot of bad sellers out there, and a lot of great sellers out there (myself included in the great). I have both bought and sold handbags on Ebay, and you really need to know the specs of the bag you are after. Also, I would definitely check out the items that have been previously sold by the seller--it will give you a hint about the legitimacy of the seller. I have had great success selling very gently used handbags on Ebay, and have even bought new stuff (Isabella Fiore, for example, at slightly less than retail for sold-out stuff). This is just my two cents, of course.

I both buy and sell on eBay, but just like a 'regular' auction, you should do your research beforehand. As most of the folks here have stated, if a bag regularly goes for $1200 and the seller is selling it for $300, then I would stay clear. When folks are selling "used" bags, then it should be below retail, but how much depends on the wear. While Dudeiloveyou, Leshent and Personalshoppers do indeed sell authentic bags, again ... look at the price tags! I have found Leshent and Personalshoppers to be pretty reasonable - oftentimes, either the same as retail or a little over. However, if it's significantly more than retail (which I've seen - even with the "reputable" sellers) then - heck - get it at the retail store and save yourself money!!

Some other things to be cautious of ... if a seller has a whole ton of the same bags (e.g., a number of Balenciaga City bags but in different colors), be careful. Now, that's not to say that a legitimate seller couldn't have a few Balenciaga bags, but they will probably be different styles. Be careful of the 1-day auctions. Unscrupulous sellers oftentimes use this ruse because eBay doesn't have enough time to check their goods and kick them off. Also, look at their feedback ... I NEVER bid on sellers who have 'private' feedback (I think eBay was on drugs when they decided to start that practice!).

CeeJay said:
I both buy and sell on eBay, but just like a 'regular' auction, you should do your research beforehand. As most of the folks here have stated, if a bag regularly goes for $1200 and the seller is selling it for $300, then I would stay clear. When folks are selling "used" bags, then it should be below retail, but how much depends on the wear. While Dudeiloveyou, Leshent and Personalshoppers do indeed sell authentic bags, again ... look at the price tags! I have found Leshent and Personalshoppers to be pretty reasonable - oftentimes, either the same as retail or a little over. However, if it's significantly more than retail (which I've seen - even with the "reputable" sellers) then - heck - get it at the retail store and save yourself money!!

Some other things to be cautious of ... if a seller has a whole ton of the same bags (e.g., a number of Balenciaga City bags but in different colors), be careful. Now, that's not to say that a legitimate seller couldn't have a few Balenciaga bags, but they will probably be different styles. Be careful of the 1-day auctions. Unscrupulous sellers oftentimes use this ruse because eBay doesn't have enough time to check their goods and kick them off. Also, look at their feedback ... I NEVER bid on sellers who have 'private' feedback (I think eBay was on drugs when they decided to start that practice!).
I also never bid on auctions with "private bidders" something funny there too.