How do you go on about purchasing foundation?

I have always used tinted moisturizer and am thinking of moving onto foundation... Now, I know I can ask for a tester or they can do my make-up for me first. Problem is I don't even know what can be considered as something that "works"! How many hours is foundation supposed to stay in place? What are the signs of REALLY bad make-up?

Thanks in advance.

to me, foundation looks terrible when it is mismatched.. that is most important.. in order to avoid a noticeable color difference along the jawline (which I see a lot).

other important things to consider:

what type of coverage do you want? (sheer, medium, or heavy)

do you mind feeling your makeup on your face? (personally I do, and that is why I stick to mineral makeup)

If you do not want to go to a makeup counter, you can always order from Sephora online and see what works for you, if it doesn't work, you can just mail it back to them and get your money back and try something else.

I have always used tinted moisturizer and am thinking of moving onto foundation... Now, I know I can ask for a tester or they can do my make-up for me first. Problem is I don't even know what can be considered as something that "works"! How many hours is foundation supposed to stay in place? What are the signs of REALLY bad make-up?

Thanks in advance.

Hey, there, TP! :smile:

I've been wearing liquid foundation almost 30 years and I am no expert but I have tried and seen a few things come and go over time...so IMO:

- liquid foundation should always have an SPF, no matter your skin tone.
- you should be able to spot apply it over your areas where you need the most coverage and have it, ideally, blend in with your natural skin tone.
- should not leave an obvious mark at your jawline. That's a sign it's too dark.
- should apply evenly without being skip-py, chalk-y or give otherwise uneven coverage. Keep in mind every foundation is different and each 'behaves' a little differently than the others.
- the amount of coverage and length of coverage can vary a lot by your skin type, your expectations, exercise, heat/humidity where you live, etc. Ideally, it should stay on through a 'normal' day and not melt off your face during exercise (although it's best to remove foundation before exercise as it might clog pores).
- honestly, a lot of it is trial and error. Samples are great b/c you don't have to outlay a lot of cash.

It's not 100% necessary, but a lot of people like using a primer under their foundation, to give a more smooth, even surface before applying it. There are a lot out there that are very light and don't give a heavy "OMG I'm wearing so much makeup" feeling, HTH.

Hope that helps - sorry about the ramble!

XXXOO PG

Wow thank you both SO MUCH for your answers, you have helped way more than you think.

I went to the counter at lunch time and got a little sample. I will be putting it on first thing tomorrow morning and see how long it lasts.

I'll keep you posted!

Another thing to look for when you match is go outside in the sunshine and look at it on your face. Some make up looks wonderful in the store, but totally different in natural light, and looks like a mask!

I wish you well,

Bridget

Oh and if you already use a tinted moisturizer and are happy with it, see if the same company makes a foundation, that would be the best bet.

It's also trial and error and someone's holy grail may not work for you because of your skin type/ coverage etc, so just be patient!

I wish you well,

Bridget

Another thing to look for when you match is go outside in the sunshine and look at it on your face. Some make up looks wonderful in the store, but totally different in natural light, and looks like a mask!

I wish you well,

Bridget

GREAT advice. I put foundation (and all makeup) on in natural light whenever possible. My college roommate 20+ years ago used to laugh at me as I'd have my hand mirror propped on my bedroom window sill putting on makeup...but it looked good, hehehe :biggrin:. Oh and I still put my makeup on in my bedroom window to this day, HTH!

I think your best bet is to go to Sephora and have them help you. They have so many different types of foundation, and they'll apply it for you and you can decide what you like, and they'll answer all your questions.

I just go to the estee lauder counter!
First time and every time I go to buy a new bottle, the ladies will pick out my color without asking or looking at the samples! It's weird... even when I'm after a different shade! I don't have to do anything!!!
As I tan very easily my skin colour changes alot throughout the year so I have 3 different bottles! :wacko: ... lol

You might pick up or flip through a copy of Paula Begoun's Don't Go To The Cosmetics Counter Without Me. She has excellent tips on what you should look for in a product based on your skin type, reviews on just about every foundation currently available, and recommendations for skin care and makeup in different price ranges.

I've never been unhappy with anything I've bought based on her recommendations and have switched to less expensive, better quality products, too.