How do you get enjoy AND maintain your Rolex watches?

XCCX

Instagram @thediarentist
O.G.
Nov 23, 2009
I've always thought that when I own a Rolex I will wear it and enjoy it everywhere everytime. I am not the type who puts things away and I use all my jewlery and handbags all the time, but now that I finally own my dream watch I find my self too scared to wear it everyday (I only have it for 2 days now but I already have this feeling!).

How do you deal with this and is there any way for these watches to be touched up or polished after a while? Or the scratches will be there forever???

Please talk me into enjoying my watch before I become too obsessed and scared to take it out!!!

:flowers:

Absolutely wear your watch, the more often the better. That's what it's for, and they are built incredibly sturdily, with waterproof cases, unless yours is very old and its seal needs to be checked. The steel used by Rolex is NASA grade. The gold is softer, but it's up to the task of normal use.

If you get any marks, I encourage you to live with them as much as possible. Typical care involves light washing with mild soap and water, period. You don't want to get into a habit of repeated machine polishing by a jeweler, which removes metal.

Which one did you get? The oyster bracelet shows wear a lot easier than the Jubilee. Jewelers can polish it for a small fee but it doesn't really take the scratches out and i think you're only supposed to do it every few years. Just wear it and enjoy it!

I'm a saver. Not good to be like me. The watches get "character" and are meant to be worn and enjoyed. I should listen to my own advice! Don't worry about it. Wear that beauty!

I look at all the photos here of people stacking thier watches with bracelets and droooool! I absolutely love that look and look at me now not even able to get my self to enjoy my watch worn alone!!! How do they do that???

Everyone has a different comfort level, but it's also true that having spent that much money on a watch, a lot of people don't want to stack it with other metal bracelets, for fear of scratching. I don't. Nonmetal bracelets are an option for stacking.

Pretty watch! I saw it in the other thread. The scratches can always be buffed out during your overhaul service so don't worry about them. They aren't permanent. If you want to stack but don't want scratches then you can leave one extra link in the band. That way you can wear it up on your arm a tad higher and stack below it. Although i would just stack them anyways and not care about scratches. That stuff doesn't bother me.

I know how you feel! I go my first Rolex, a WG Pearlmaster for Christmas last year, and couldn't wait to wear it. After wearing it for Christmas dinner, I noticed it already had the faintest scratch on on the band, freaked out, took it to my safe deposit box, and had it there until recently. I really wanted a RG Rolex this year, and DH asked me what was the point? That I didn't wear the watches I already had! He had a point. I still got my RG and I've already worn it more than my WG, and no scratches yet, but I know they're inevitable. I finally forced myself to wear one of my Love bracelets also, and it already has scratches on it. That really bothered me too, but the second scratch didn't hurt as much, the third even less, and eventually I'm sure I probably won't care at all! I can see the logic in that jewelry and watches, etc., are meant to be worn, but we spend so much on these things, that I can also see the reasoning behind keeping them "perfect" forever. I plan on wearing my WG more soon, and once I feel really, really daring, I might just break my Daytona out of it's box and wear it for the first time! :P Baby steps, right!??! Congrats on your new watch! It looks gorgeous, and with your Love, it's beyond beautiful!

I wear mine every.single.day. To gym, amusement parks, etc. . . I stack other jewelry, you name it!
No one else notices teeny scratches and nothing looks showroom new forever. Wear it and enjoy it!!

Thanks everyone!
Another question is: Would you wear a diamond watch everyday (I mean occasion wise) even to work? I know this is a personal preference and depends on the type of work but I'd love to hear what you guys have to say about this!

I wear my Rolex (datejust, oyster bracelet) almost every day!
I'm not ready to stack it though. :blush:

Once a week, I give him a bath of warm water with a drop of palmolive.

I also got an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner for Christmas and I used it for my watch for the first time yesterday evening. It looked like new, but I'm not sure whether it is okay to use it regularly, since the vibrations might be harmful for the mechanism??

I, myself, would definitely wear a diamond watch to work! :yes:

I wear my Rolex (datejust, oyster bracelet) almost every day!
I'm not ready to stack it though. :blush:

Once a week, I give him a bath of warm water with a drop of palmolive.

I also got an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner for Christmas and I used it for my watch for the first time yesterday evening. It looked like new, but I'm not sure whether it is okay to use it regularly, since the vibrations might be harmful for the mechanism??

I, myself, would definitely wear a diamond watch to work! :yes:

Thanks for the tip! and for the encouragement! :biggrin: