How do you figure out which B/K is for you?

Nov 6, 2017
Here's something on my mind.

B/K are expensive bags, no question. Yet in a world where you can't go and readily check out stock or colours, how do you figure out if these bags and which variation is for you?

For example, I have a B30 in black. On paper, it checks all the boxes: neutral, elegant colour; good, classic size; etc. I did A LOT of research on this bag. but having had it a while, i think it's actually a bit too bulky and serious for me.

I know we all spend significant time researching, but it's not the same as living with and carrying the bag. Heck, I've noticed the bags look a lot bigger in pictures than in real life, and colours can vary hugely on lighting.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on really getting an idea of what is for you? Some ideas are:
- Try friends' bags, though this requires friends with bags you'd be interested in
- Secondhand shops
- I think I saw one member's daughter reconstructed a paper Birkin for her to get an idea. So cute!

Any other advice?

Here's something on my mind.

B/K are expensive bags, no question. Yet in a world where you can't go and readily check out stock or colours, how do you figure out if these bags and which variation is for you?

For example, I have a B30 in black. On paper, it checks all the boxes: neutral, elegant colour; good, classic size; etc. I did A LOT of research on this bag. but having had it a while, i think it's actually a bit too bulky and serious for me.

I know we all spend significant time researching, but it's not the same as living with and carrying the bag. Heck, I've noticed the bags look a lot bigger in pictures than in real life, and colours can vary hugely on lighting.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on really getting an idea of what is for you? Some ideas are:
- Try friends' bags, though this requires friends with bags you'd be interested in
- Secondhand shops
- I think I saw one member's daughter reconstructed a paper Birkin for her to get an idea. So cute!

Any other advice?
I treat each offer like a blind date. If I fall in love, it goes home with me. I'm kidding, I've never done that on an actual first date, and I'm happily married now, but I do do that with my offers lolol.

Last edited:
I think you can't truly figure out which B/k is for you until you've used it for sometime . Having friends and family members with H bags is helpful . I used my moms b 30 for a day and decided that it is not for me . Then I used her k 25 twice and fell in love with it but it was a bit small . So I got a K28 which is now my ideal size :nuts: .

What can you do if you can't use a friends bag , Then rent one :lol:. I saw a website in Dubai that actually rents bags ! I was disgusted a little , the thought of sweaty hands on bag handles !

On a positive note , Research , Research , Research then go with your gut . Don't over think it .Yes it is a lot of money . But never subtle for anything less than what you want . Use it . If it is your dream bag excellent , if not then sell it and go find your perfect match :heart:.

It was hard with my first couple bags , and adding a 3rd was hard too . But It gets better with experience .

At the beginning I visited quite a few second hand shops in tokyo every time we went for vacation. I got a general idea how bags look - brand new and 10 years down the road.

As I started my local H journey, I gradually knew more people who share the same passion and if they have an interest, we meet and look at each other's bags and get inspired.

I also follow influencers and read about how people's bag journey evolved. Quite a few of them have great insights on what size/color/leather work in daily life and how different bags suit personal styles. One general rule seems to be that what suits one's individual needs may not be the what everyone else is after.

I treat each offer like a blind date. If I fall in love, it goes home with me. I'm kidding, I've never done that on an actual first date, anbd I'm happily married now, but I do do that with my offers lolol.

:lol: Love your answer, Madame!

Louise: I'd visit consignment & second-hand stores to see the bags that they have and try them on, and same with H.

Try on bags with a critical eye. Forget the scarcity, because to be honest, there's always going to be another bag down the road. Sure, you might regret not getting X or Y (even years later – thinking of you, rouge vif Bolide 31 and chocolate barenia Mini Rugby)... but honestly, if you don't get that "I can't live without this" feel, it's a hard pass for an item of that price.

I don’t like to handheld handbags so definitely no birkin for me. I prefer the Kelly than the Constance cos I am not that keen on the large H hardware. When my SA taking down my wishlist, it was rather easy to decide which to go for but dunno when that wishlist bag will ever be available though.

Reactions: louise_elouise
I am willing to buy a B35 in the next months as long as they're not too coveted (naturally, if the boutique thinks I'm worth it...).
As we all say, it is an expensive purchase, and so are our mistakes (a rouge H GP in my case).
I know I prefer handheld bags and small bags don't suit me well, so in order to make sure the B35 will be my perfect everyday bag... well I purchased a Birkin-35 look-alike from a renowned French leather goods brand (not luxury however). Got it pre-loved but brand new for a steal and the color is very fancy, somewhere between Crevette and rose Jaïpur. I love that color but it's too flashy to be worn all year-long here, and I wouldn't choose a H bag in that range of colors, rather a dark neutral.
I just love it, and now I know a B35 will be the right purchase.

Last edited:
Anything that isn’t yours will look different to your mind’s eye until you buy it and take it home.

Im sure that had you purchased the 25 you’d probably be second guessing that purchase as well because of how it doesn’t sit on an arm as easily, doesn’t hold enough, etc. Not saying it’s not the right bag for you, just saying it’s human nature to second guess and find flaws. You won’t find these in a store, you’ll only find them in using them.

The wife makes an educated guess on what she wants, we tell the SA and get, and then if it doesn’t work out, we know we can re-sell it at minimal to no loss.

- Try bags at resale
- Try cheap bags of similar size, shape, and color
- The model trick helps a bit with sizing
- Search for folks online with your build and style carrying B/K

But in all honesty, yes, you have to live with it for a while to understand if a bag/color/leather is for your lifestyle. Fortunately once you are under size 35 in B/K you should be able to get most if not all your money back if you regret it.

Before foraying into H, I did a lot of online research because I don't have anyone in my immediate circle who are into H or into handbags in general. However, you will never know what works and don't until you use it. I know I will make mistakes about a purchase even with so much research but the only consolation I have with H is I know I will not lose much. I consider my loss if I end up reselling a bag as "lease" or "rent" (much like leasing a car). I started my H journey when small bags are not the "it" ones yet. My first offer was a K32 sellier which I ended up rehoming and subsequently losing money because the size just doesn't work for me after trying long and hard. By the time I rehomed it, bigger bags don't command as much in the resale market. When I got my first B30 offer, I have never tried one and never actually owned a handheld/arm carry only bag ever. I took the bag and luckily, it did work out for me.
So for me, it really is some gamble when choosing the right bag. I come with a mindset that I probably will lose money if it does not work out and I "should" be ok with it before spending the money.

Thanks all! Sounds like nothing beats trial and error so at least I’m not alone in that regard.
I’d add that it takes some confidence in your style. I have a variety of different bags and on any give day I feel quite differently about them. So it def goes through phrases. Using them is the main way to fall in love (or not) but having the courage to let them go is something else entirely