How do you figure out how to "wear" your jewelry?

[Please note so many TPF members are super stylish, I’m not really and still learning…but I feel like I have something to say about the subject]
It’s only my opinion but I think the jewellery you wear should flow together and above all be something you’re comfortable wearing. If item is not comfortable and difficult to incorporate into an outfit, you might rarely pick it out of the bunch and therefore it won’t be your favourite, and it will never become a part of your style DNA. I made some expensive mistakes choosing jewellery which was awkward, beautiful, but either pain to wear or pain to fit into an outfit ;) The “flow” I refer to doesn’t mean matchy matchy…It’s harder to describe. It’s when jewellery pieces don’t argue, so similar shapes or metals or placement make things flow imo. I also like mixing high and low but as above, I’ll always make sure the pieces flow together. It really is easier to do when you have a curated collection of jewellery you love.
Hope it made sense :angel::biggrin:

This is an interesting question. I'm a firm believer that more is more, but only on one section of the body. I like to stack and layer to make a statement and have three areas to choose from - ears, neck, and wrists. Wrists are my go to with eclectic stacks from different houses, mixed metals, etc. When I layer necklaces, I find it's easiest to stick with one house, or maybe various diamond pieces, etc. Same with earrings - I find it easiest to stack multiple VCA pieces, for example, versus a mix. I also really like to stack various shapes of diamonds - pear and emerald of varying cw are a go-to for me. :tup:

I think a lot of it is based on the outfit/shoes as well. 99.9% of the time I'm in something very sleek and neutral which, to my eye, calls for BLING. An outfit more busy - think Zimmermann et al - calls for muted, understated jewelry.

I used to think about situations, too.... but not anymore. I figure we all spend good money on our jewelry and it's meant to be worn. My dad collected cars when I was growing up, and he used to have a "no garage queens" rule; that is how I feel about my jewelry box these days. I will happily (and eagerly!) wear full Cartier pave pieces to the boys' football games and to the grocery store. Life is short.

Thanks. I have a good collection of classic pieces--I just feel like I don't know how to really "wear" them in stylish ways rather than just "earrings, necklace, ring bracelet" or if Earrings are big, no necklace, and bracelet. Or necklace 3 rings or whatever.

I don't have that natural flow and vocabulary with jewelry. You must have encountered people who just really wear jewelry well--and don't even think about it. I'm trying to figure out how to understand why certain pieces work, or how many, etc. That's what is really hard for me. I have the pieces, I just don't have a talent for putting them together.

Maybe you need something unexpected! A cord bracelet or a ceramic ring. I have a black murano glass necklace that I like to mix with my gold necklaces and it makes everything fresher and more interesting.

And I also agree with the posters that said that jewelry can compliment your body and you could start with that: I will not leave the house without earrings: I have boring brown eyes so I feel I need them. I have a long, thin neck and pretty shoulders so I like to wear necklaces. My hands are HUGE so I prefer one ring, preferably statement, instead of several small rings. So you can start with your favorite or least favorite part of your body and accessorize accordingly.

[Please note so many TPF members are super stylish, I’m not really and still learning…but I feel like I have something to say about the subject]
It’s only my opinion but I think the jewellery you wear should flow together and above all be something you’re comfortable wearing. If item is not comfortable and difficult to incorporate into an outfit, you might rarely pick it out of the bunch and therefore it won’t be your favourite, and it will never become a part of your style DNA. I made some expensive mistakes choosing jewellery which was awkward, beautiful, but either pain to wear or pain to fit into an outfit ;) The “flow” I refer to doesn’t mean matchy matchy…It’s harder to describe. It’s when jewellery pieces don’t argue, so similar shapes or metals or placement make things flow imo. I also like mixing high and low but as above, I’ll always make sure the pieces flow together. It really is easier to do when you have a curated collection of jewellery you love.
Hope it made sense :angel::biggrin:

It does, but how do you find "flow" or visually, what does "flow" look like?

How do I know if my Paloma Picasso Giant Heart ring would work with a Chain d'Ancre bracelet (sp) OR not--if there was "flow"?

That's the elusive thing I have been trying to find. What is it. how do you get it? How do you recognize it?

Maybe you need something unexpected! A cord bracelet or a ceramic ring. I have a black murano glass necklace that I like to mix with my gold necklaces and it makes everything fresher and more interesting.

And I also agree with the posters that said that jewelry can compliment your body and you could start with that: I will not leave the house without earrings: I have boring brown eyes so I feel I need them. I have a long, thin neck and pretty shoulders so I like to wear necklaces. My hands are HUGE so I prefer one ring, preferably statement, instead of several small rings. So you can start with your favorite or least favorite part of your body and accessorize accordingly.

This is good advice!

How do I know if my Paloma Picasso Giant Heart ring would work with a Chain d'Ancre bracelet (sp) OR not--if there was "flow"?

That's the elusive thing I have been trying to find. What is it. how do you get it? How do you recognize it?
I think it’s best described as harmony, perception of beauty in a classic sense, so proportions, conforming to conventions in one’s culture…Because growing up in a society shapes our understanding of beauty, flow, etc., in a specific way. So I suppose I’m trying to say, try your jewellery combos, how does it feel, if it feels right and looks pleasing to you I believe that’s the flow, that’s what you’re looking for. But trial and error is the way ;)

You have to wear your foundational pieces that your trying to coordinate and go play at various stores to determine how well something will work. If you can’t get to store I suggest Pinterest or this forum and search for your pieces to see how others match those particular pieces.

I would chime in to say that during the pandemic and working from home, I've been able to experiment a lot more with combinations.

For me, what works is usually a combination of comfort, overall look and mood of the day and that drives how much I'd wear. Recently I've been playing around with stacking more and it's been sometimes hit and miss. Occasionally I'd remove things whilst at home as they just annoyed me. Combinations that work I remember for next time.

It's almost like creating a look book of go to outfits, complete with jewelry, so when you do go out, there are fail-safe choices immediately available.

In my very young adult days, I spent a lot on "cheap" accessories – buying what looks good on others, especially on models, magazines, or just what looks pretty on display.

Of course taste changed with age but one thing for sure, the shape and drape of jewelry don’t really change because of my personal face & body shape. My weight shift hasn’t been much in the past decades and i am in the know on what kind of jewelry don’t look good on me. That being said, I no longer am much keen on earrings and necklaces (which I find “shape” and “drape” have quite an impact on these places of our body).

So like what most have shared, it’s about trial and error, and know our face/body shape and take photos to compare different pieces when worn. Most often than not, photos speak more.

But I also believe everyone is different. I think most importantly wear something that you’re comfy with and that wear them in confidence.

On OP last question, i like playing with bracelets and rings. But there's always staple. I don't buy too many... and i also like to make sure when I buy something new, it goes with the rest i already have. Or at least with my staple.

Last edited:
I too have difficulty layering and putting pieces together, and this is what I think about:
First off, I get dressed and work around that. Where is my neckline on my top? Is my top plain or patterned? Depending on the top, it might call for a longer necklace or a choker length.
how long are my sleeves? Will I even see my bracelets?
as for rings, it depends as well. Right now I am into wearing rings but they have to be comfortable. When I stack I tend to go up half a size because if not then my fingers tend to feel like overstuffed sausages. I have rings from Catbird that are lovely to stack and light so I barely notice them.
Also I consider the weather; in the cooler months I can wear heavier chunkier pieces like a wide cuff. But in the summer I would wear bangles, as it is too hot to wear jewelry close to my skin.
I do like to have pieces flow together. For example, I like to have at least one ring, one necklace, and one bracelet all by the same designer in my collection in order to have an aesthetic. It doesn’t necessarily mean I will wear all three that day, but most likely I will wear at least two of them.
I like my pieces to flow and be harmonious. With that being said, if I am wearing a statement piece, such as a necklace, my bracelets and rings might be more subtle to serve as background for the statement necklace.
I tend to not mix stones; my e-ring and wedding band are black diamonds, so I tend to make sure that my other gems work with that.
I mix metals, I used to never do that but it is more important to me that they have a similar style than the color of the metal.
playing with textures is fun! I like hammered pieces and silver that has patina.
Looking in the mirror is the best; if it doesn’t flow and create the feeling or look I want, then I keep playing. I do this occasionally when I have free time so I can plan ahead.
I keep pieces that I know flow together out and will rotate them regularly; no “safe queens” here!
I think it will just take time for you to figure it out; Pinterest is a great place to find inspiration.
Also, I take note when I am out and about and a coworker or stranger compliments a certain piece; I find that the pieces I get the most compliments on tend to look the best on me!
Good luck and have fun!

I do like to have pieces flow together. For example, I like to have at least one ring, one necklace, and one bracelet all by the same designer in my collection in order to have an aesthetic. It doesn’t necessarily mean I will wear all three that day, but most likely I will wear at least two of them.
I love this concept. In your experience, do you find the aesthetic flow to be dependent on wearing at least two pieces of the same jewelry line (e.g. matching), or is staying within the same house/designer sufficient to promote cohesion?

Reactions: darkangel07760
I love this concept. In your experience, do you find the aesthetic flow to be dependent on wearing at least two pieces of the same jewelry line (e.g. matching), or is staying within the same house/designer sufficient to promote cohesion?
I think staying within the same house/designer is enough to promote cohesion; I also think flow can be achieved by having simpler pieces serve as the backdrop for a more distinctive piece

Trial and error. Not buying until I was sure. And, reading a lot of posts here from more knowledgeable jewelry mavens

also, take plenty of action shots, full length to see if the accessories overpower. Experiment with different combos.

we would love to see some of your ideas and pics

do you want to channel elegance; understatement; fun; eclectic? Do you like large scale, or are you minimal?

Also helps to go and try stuff on.

i am IRL much shorter and chunkier than in my imagination, and that also affects wardrobe and accessory choices

Thanks!

I'm "fun and eclectic" but i aspire to be chic and elegant, truth be told.

Today, I'm wearing a white tee, giant transparent-frame reading glasses, gold huggies with cornflower blue oval cameo earring charms (horses) with a thin chain roberto coin small squarish rectangular diamond pendant.

I have my hair parted down the middle and tied back, and I'm wearing a fitted white tee shirt and a scarf tight tight high up on my neck.

I look either chic or like Ruth Bader Ginsburg. OR like a chic RBG.