How do you figure out how to "wear" your jewelry?

Louish

Dec 28, 2014
UK
I tend to stick with the same jeweller because I don’t have a lot of confidence in knowing what goes with what either! All of my fine jewellery are in RG & from Cartier (JUC/Love lines).

• Insightful
Reactions: missie1 and 880

Consumer2much

Human magpie easily distracted by shiny objects
Dec 28, 2019
[Please note so many TPF members are super stylish, I’m not really and still learning…but I feel like I have something to say about the subject]
It’s only my opinion but I think the jewellery you wear should flow together and above all be something you’re comfortable wearing. If item is not comfortable and difficult to incorporate into an outfit, you might rarely pick it out of the bunch and therefore it won’t be your favourite, and it will never become a part of your style DNA. I made some expensive mistakes choosing jewellery which was awkward, beautiful, but either pain to wear or pain to fit into an outfit ;) The “flow” I refer to doesn’t mean matchy matchy…It’s harder to describe. It’s when jewellery pieces don’t argue, so similar shapes or metals or placement make things flow imo. I also like mixing high and low but as above, I’ll always make sure the pieces flow together. It really is easier to do when you have a curated collection of jewellery you love.
Hope it made sense :angel::biggrin:

• Insightful
Reactions: missie1 and 880

jenaywins

O.G.
Dec 27, 2009
This is an interesting question. I'm a firm believer that more is more, but only on one section of the body. I like to stack and layer to make a statement and have three areas to choose from - ears, neck, and wrists. Wrists are my go to with eclectic stacks from different houses, mixed metals, etc. When I layer necklaces, I find it's easiest to stick with one house, or maybe various diamond pieces, etc. Same with earrings - I find it easiest to stack multiple VCA pieces, for example, versus a mix. I also really like to stack various shapes of diamonds - pear and emerald of varying cw are a go-to for me. :tup:

I think a lot of it is based on the outfit/shoes as well. 99.9% of the time I'm in something very sleek and neutral which, to my eye, calls for BLING. An outfit more busy - think Zimmermann et al - calls for muted, understated jewelry.

I used to think about situations, too.... but not anymore. I figure we all spend good money on our jewelry and it's meant to be worn. My dad collected cars when I was growing up, and he used to have a "no garage queens" rule; that is how I feel about my jewelry box these days. I will happily (and eagerly!) wear full Cartier pave pieces to the boys' football games and to the grocery store. Life is short.

• Love
Reactions: Pevi and 880