How do you feel being an only child?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Wow... interesting thread.... neat to hear the other side of it...

I'm not an only child, but I am the only girl... I have one older & 2 younger brothers, with a 7yr gap btwn older bro & me, so I think I have a lot of 1st born/only child tendencies....:rolleyes:

My dad is the 2nd youngest of 10, so my family is huge.... I'm almost 30 & it's getting to the point of reminding BF if he wants at least one (I'm okay if we don't) he better put a ring on my finger & knock me up soon!! :roflmfao:

2. Wow! What an interesting thread!!! I'm an only child as well! I had alot of close friends from elementary school through high school that I considered "my sisters". But, as time passed, some of these friendships did not last. That is what I miss the most.... not having a sibling who has shared life experiences with you and also knows your ENTIRE history! However, I do try to stay in touch with a few of my friends from childhood and always make an effort to visit with them when I'm visiting the area where I grew up. (I go home once or twice a year.)

I was the only child in my group of school friends, so I also was close to my friends' siblings and even to their parents!

I always wanted a sibling, but I guess maybe I was fortunate not to have a sibling as my parents paid for my college education, paid for my first car, and helped me later to put a down payment on my townhouse with my DH. I know that if my parents had other kids, resources would have been a bit tighter. However, I'm very appreciative for all that my parents have done for me throughout my life and if I have kids, I would want to try to do the same for them! (And yes, if I had kids, I would like to have two = boy & girl.)

My father passed away about 11 years ago, and I moved away from my mom (same state but opposite directions). But, my mom has always been cool - she has her own life and is not the type of mom that constantly calls you to ask you when are you visiting, what are you doing, etc. Actually, I call my mom more than she calls me!!! And, the cool thing is that she moved about a year ago to be near me and now only lives about 10 minutes away from me and my DH. It's really nice to have my mom nearby because I know that I can always count on her and she can count on me for anything!! (I don't have a large family with aunts and cousins - and didn't really grow up with cousins around although that would have been nice!)

If I had siblings, it would have been a bonus and I think I would have been close to a sibling. (I really hate to see siblings that don't get along although although there are obviously sometimes behind the scene issues for not getting along.) I look at my friends who are best friends with their own siblings and I realise that I would still like to have that type of relationship, but that's ok...

Now that I'm married, I technically do have siblings!!! My DH has an older brother and sister and the brother is married to a great spouse. I'm an Auntie by marriage which is cool since I've known my niece/nephews since before they were born!

Ok... I'm rambling and I better stop. Thx for letting me express myself!!!

Nice thread!